• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory accusation
I generally like this person, but this just seems like weird apologism.

Like: "sure this is technically true, but journalists should speak to me first so I can put a different varnish on it."
I mean…he's under The CCPs boot. Or course he won't speak up against china. He wouldn't ever post again.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Butt Simulator SPECIFICALLY.

Elder Scrolls is odd though.
The new CCP guideline has something along the line of "games shouldn't give players choices to do evil things" so TES fits. Though I guess it's already been banned way before this guideline is a thing but it still shows what they don't want in a game (or any media, really) so it's not like it's entirely irrelevant.

More info about this guideline/mandate:
ayk7zsxk6iq71.jpg

If they actually have to follow all of this, they'd have to ban like 95% of games lol.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary
I generally like this person, but this just seems like weird apologism.

Like: "sure this is technically true, but journalists should speak to me first so I can put a different varnish on it."
Yep.

"Oh no, the list of banned games isn't technically new!"

... okay?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Personally, I think the main story is that with sites like Bilibili cracking down and starting to enforce streaming bans for titles on the banned game list. It must mean the government is looking at games like it does film and television now (though that should be obvious with the last two game license freezes one of which is still ongoing). Which would mean even further oversight and processes for games and game approval in China. Not exactly the nicest sign since it's the biggest gaming market in the world and gamers there gotta jump through even more hurdles to interact with the games they like.

Guess the silver lining for them is that it's easy enough to get around. But still, I'd be happier if gamers there could just dead ass watch and play the games they like. But what can ya do

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Wait, can someone tell me is what exactly is Butt Simulator?

Everything makes "some" sense to me besides Yakuza it's not that violent, no skeletons.

Maybe could be for sexual content ?

Maybe for skeletons and zombies

Is definitely that, considering that you can actually create your own undead from a corpse. Also with modding those games can have all kinds of banned content in it, like for instance, a mod replacing the dragons with Xi Jinping Winnie-the-Pooh.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So all the Winnie the Pooh games can still be streamed? We need that WtP 48 hour marathon.

Also, Terminator games are a-ok!

Also, Hearts of Iron IV is also ok to stream meaning you can defeat CCP and install a new Imperial dynasty. 😀

Edit: Mind you, Paradox Grand Strategy games aren't owed to be sold there, unless through Steam workaround.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The new CCP guideline has something along the line of "games shouldn't give players choices to do evil things" so TES fits. Though I guess it's already been banned way before this guideline is a thing but it still shows what they don't want in a game (or any media, really) so it's not like it's entirely irrelevant.

More info about this guideline/mandate:
ayk7zsxk6iq71.jpg

If they actually have to follow all of this, they'd have to ban like 95% of games lol.
As wild as it sounds to an extent, they are walking the walk on this. The government hasn't given any new game licenses out since July of last year and there is no sign of them approving new games anytime soon. I don't know when the government will decide to relent. But if you relied on selling to your domestic audience to keep your studio afloat. This is 2018 (but worse) all over again.

If I were to hazard a guess, I think we'll see the policy get shuffled one more time and get one more licensing freezes a few years after this. I think it's clear the media censors are looking at games with a much more critical eye then they were even 8 years ago. And they are more than happy to but the brakes on everything until they get it to a place where old ass conservative officials are happy with.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
This little dog pile on zhuge seems completely unnecessary considering all he's expressing is that it's being reported inaccurately. God forbid a guy who specializes in data for China cares about specificity.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eventually I think we're going to see the gaming industry not even bother with China.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
What about that FPS game where North Korea takes over the world, is that one fine? At least the Manhunt series seems fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.