• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
To be on topic... what does some efficacy refer to? Decrease of severity of symptoms? Actually preventing infection?

Also:

Article mentions it should be somewhat effective. Googling around why only somewhat and this seems a decent explanation:

www.clinicaltrialsarena.com

Covid-19 vaccines curbed by existing antibodies, some may need booster

AstraZeneca’s AZD1222, as well as Rome-based ReiThera’s Covid-19 vaccines are also adenovirus vectored but use nonhuman vectors.

Why did they chose an adenovirus vector?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The skipping of a phase to fast track it in China to test on larger groups is the danger and the story. Canada will also test it but they won't be skipping any phases. Testing a vaccine in general is not a controversy, skipping a phase is.

I missed this in the story. Any details on this?

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
What makes you assume that this has anything to do with racism as opposed a general lack of empathy. It's just as likely the poster says the same thing about everyone participating in vaccine trials. It's still a cruel thing to say but why make that leap?
This. I'm not going to try to get into the poster's mind, but I don't see any racism. It was probably linked to their disdain for the miltary, which some would see as an extension of the government. Either way, they'll have a month to thing about it now. /shrug

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
This. I'm not going to try to get into the poster's mind, but I don't see any racism. It was probably linked to their disdain for the miltary, which some would see as an extension of the government. Either way, they'll have a month to thing about it now. /shrug

Hmm, which is more probable: said person has negative feelings towards the military in general OR said person doesn't like the CCP, and therefore is okay with a potentially dangerous vaccine being tested on 'human guinea pigs' that are affiliated with said government.

Stop twisting yourself into knots to deny xenophobia.

RamsesGod43

Sep 28, 2019
Mississauga
Cause this forum can't separate the difference between the CCP and China and it has proven many times, people don't care and will lump all Chinese people with the CCP, which is pretty racist.

We've had tons of threads on it. Shit was even sticky'd on top of the off topic for a month.

I specifically said the CCP vilify themselves all the time, but if you can't tell the difference, don't know what to tell you.
I agreed with your post. Why single me out? Against the government for the people.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From the perspective of a politician, isn't the role of the military to give their lives for their country?
You sign up to be a pawn on their chessboard.
You sign up to risk your life lending your skill to defend your country (and sometimes to get that sweet free car). No one signed up to get pumped full of experimental drugs. This ain't Captain America.

I hope for all our sales that their gambit is successful

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I missed this in the story. Any details on this?

No just that Canada will test all vaccines fully and no phases will be skipped. Canada will not approve a vaccine for the public that hasn't gone through all the appropriate stages of testing. That is just how Canada operates.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
No just that Canada will test all vaccines fully and no phases will be skipped. Canada will not approve a vaccine for the public that hasn't gone through all the appropriate stages of testing. That is just how Canada operates.

I see. Did I miss the part of the article where they mentioned that China skipped over the stages Canada wouldn't?

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
You sign up to risk your life lending your skill to defend your country (and sometimes to get that sweet free car). No one signed up to get pumped full of experimental drugs. This ain't Captain America.

I hope for all our sales that their gambit is successful
Though governments pull this shit so often that you should probably assume that they will when signing up. Ugh.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Is what China is doing, testing this on their military, not them doing Phase 3?
theweek.com

China approves coronavirus vaccine for military use, skipping a major safety trial along the way

The latest Speed Read,/speed-reads,,speed-reads, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at The Week

It had just won approval to begin that third phase of trials both in China and abroad, with human trials scheduled to begin in Canada. But the Chinese military also moved to skip that necessary safety phase, allowing the use of the vaccine for the military for one year, CanSino said.

Maybe there will be more we learn later.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Is China's testing phases similar to Canada and the US's? Because the writing on the articles posted here seem to indicate that their first two phases are similar... but the third/final phases generally don't contain safety information unless it's a long-term issue that crops up (ie. phase 4)

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
theweek.com

China approves coronavirus vaccine for military use, skipping a major safety trial along the way

The latest Speed Read,/speed-reads,,speed-reads, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at The Week

Maybe there will be more we learn later.

Sounds like there's different standards for what is considered humane. From what I'm reading, phase 3 is supposed to be a relatively smaller group of humans receiving the vaccine in order to study safety before administering the medication to a larger population.

An authoritarian dictatorship probably isn't going to be as concerned with human rights when it comes to this. Governments notoriously treat military and enlisted folks horribly, so this isn't a particular surprise to read.

Hopefully the vaccine works and doesn't cause more issues. I also wonder if there's enough women in the Chinese military for results to be reflective of how a vaccine may differ in efficacy due to sex.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): Callous dismissal of xenophobia; history of similar
Hmm, which is more probable: said person has negative feelings towards the military in general OR said person doesn't like the CCP, and therefore is okay with a potentially dangerous vaccine being tested on 'human guinea pigs' that are affiliated with said government.

Stop twisting yourself into knots to deny xenophobia.
I have no idea and I don't care. There's not enough there for me to assume either way. I don't check post history, but if there's a pattern, then sure. If some anti-vaxxer said let Democrats be guinea pigs for the vaccine would that be xenophobia? Nope. Just another dumbass statement, which the internet has in abundance.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea and I don't care. There's not enough there for me to assume either way. I don't check post history, but if there's a pattern, then sure. If some anti-vaxxer said let Democrats be guinea pigs for the vaccine would that be xenophobia? Nope. Just another dumbass statement, which the internet has in abundance.
That user is already banned. Stop derailing the thread.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
From the OP it seems the vaccine is safe; what is probably to be determined is whether or not it prevents COVID or not. Unfortunately that's going to be pretty hard to determine anyway without ethically questionable experiments (i.e. intentionally exposing people to COVID).

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
From the OP it seems the vaccine is safe; what is probably to be determined is whether or not it prevents COVID or not. Unfortunately that's going to be pretty hard to determine anyway without ethically questionable experiments (i.e. intentionally exposing people to COVID).

I was watching a few talks about how vaccine development actually needs the disease to still be around in order to gauge its effectiveness. One of the weird parts of the SARS vaccine, aside from the lack of funding and interest later on, was that it disappeared before they could test the vaccine's effectiveness on the wider population.

OP
OP
BronzeWolf

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Is China's testing phases similar to Canada and the US's? Because the writing on the articles posted here seem to indicate that their first two phases are similar... but the third/final phases generally don't contain safety information unless it's a long-term issue that crops up (ie. phase 4)
For sure they will be statistically significative.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How saying a specific race be our guinea pig is not racist? China is not as diverse as western countries people are asian there. I highly doubt the poster would say that shit if there was white people involve in it and I also doubt you would downplay it if white people were involve. Please stop the nonsense

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
They must be confident if they're using it on their military (although I wouldn't be surprised if they've done plenty of testing on Uyghurs...)

Let's hope something good comes out of this.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah.
But even if they went through fase 3, there's gonna be persons being infected.
I suppose this is just to see if the rate of infection will lower. So either it doesn't work and the military gets infected at the same rate or it lowers.
I think it's not a bad idea, considering there's no bad effects.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think the problem with this one is that people over 50 don't generate as many antibodies so the vaccine may be less effective for them. And then there's the issue of how many people in other countries are even willing to take a brand new vaccine, which reduces the effectiveness even further.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Flu shot is like 40-50% efficient and it's still worth taking it!

I'll improve any chance I get.
Not quite the same.

The flu vaccine is highly efficient against the strains contained within the vaccine. It's just that there's dozens of flu strains and you can't get all of them in circulation created in time for that flu season.

If this vaccine is only 50% effective it'll be nigh on disastrous.

Because there's literally no way to know any sort of long term efficacy of this vaccine for obvious reasons, this is a large scale test.

Safety *shouldn't* be an issue however.

It's in the quoted excerpt.

Testing in Canada gives this more credence.

To be fair, there's a few other vaccines also in that testing stage, whereas usage on a mass scale like the Chinese military is of course not being done as part of any other vaccine in current testing like the Oxford and Imperial ones which are also in second stage human trial.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
True, but some vaccines offer partial protection (like the flu vaccine against neighboring strains) so it's good to get some clarification on this point.
There are no significant mutations at this moment, nor tests how this works against the common cold. So the efficiency will only be considered for the normal covid.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
well...if the vaccine does turn out to be effective, then we know it will be cheap, since its made in China.

;p

sorry...not sorry.