• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
www.reuters.com

CanSino's COVID-19 vaccine candidate approved for military use in China

China's military has received the greenlight to use a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by its research unit and CanSino Biologics <6185.HK> after clinical trials proved it was safe and showed some efficacy, the company said on Monday.

The Ad5-nCoV is one of China's eight vaccine candidates approved for human trials at home and abroad for the respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus. The shot also won approval for human testing in Canada.

How large is China's military?

The wheels of medicine keep on turning. I hope this is successful as it can be!

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Xenophobic commentary.
I will allow this. Let them be guinea pigs.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
"some efficiency"

The last thing I want is to start getting vaccine after vaccine to round out "full efficiency".

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god China's economy is as intertwined with ours as it is because they could really penalize us if they get a viable vaccine first and our efforts are struggling.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It got approval for testing in Canada too? I'm surprised there's not more news about this.

Maybe some limited trials, since this sounds like it's still in testing?

Some efficacy is still good. Some vaccines need booster shots to reach full effectiveness.

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So they're basically testing it on their military?

From the perspective of a politician, isn't the role of the military to give their lives for their country?
You sign up to be a pawn on their chessboard.

Like this is what America has done:
From 1963 to 1969 as part of Project Shipboard Hazard and Defense (SHAD), the U.S. Army performed tests which involved spraying several U.S. ships with various biological and chemical warfare agents, while thousands of U.S. military personnel were aboard the ships. The personnel were not notified of the tests, and were not given any protective clothing. Chemicals tested on the U.S. military personnel included the nerve gases VX and Sarin, toxic chemicals such as zinc cadmium sulfide and sulfur dioxide, and a variety of biological agents.

Between 1948 and 1954, funded by the federal government, researchers at the Johns Hopkins Hospital inserted radium rods into the noses of 582 Baltimore, Maryland schoolchildren as an alternative to adenoidectomy.[83][84][85] Similar experiments were performed on over 7,000 U.S. Army and Navy personnel during World War II.[83

Operation Top Hat was among the numerous projects not submitted for approval. It was termed a "local field exercise"[106] by the Army and took place from September 15–19, 1953 at the Army Chemical School at Fort McClellan, Alabama. The experiments used Chemical Corps personnel to test decontamination methods for biological and chemical weapons, including sulfur mustard and nerve agents. The personnel were deliberately exposed to these contaminants, were not volunteers, and were not informed of the tests.

from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's in the quoted excerpt.

Testing in Canada gives this more credence.

We need more information on the extent of the testing in Canada or when it is even starting. There aren't any details at all really anywhere. China skipped a phase of testing. Canada will be testing with it but they won't be skipping anything.

Punished

Jun 19, 2019
Article mentions it should be somewhat effective. Googling around why only somewhat and this seems a decent explanation:
CanSino Biologics' Ad5-nCoV and Johnson & Johnson's AdVac platform-based vaccine use a human adenovirus vector, but a significant chunk of people may already have neutralising antibodies against the vector, decreasing efficacy prospects. Phase I Ad5-nCoV data is also underwhelming, adding credence to the issue of pre-existing antibodies.

AstraZeneca's AZD1222 and Rome-based ReiThera's Covid-19 vaccines are also adenovirus vectored but use nonhuman vectors. However, AZD1222's recent animal data also leave questions about its utility to prevent virus spread. A possible way to improve efficacy is to add a booster shot down the line, perhaps using a different adenovirus vector or even a different vaccine technology. Perhaps AZD1222 only carrying SARS-CoV-2's spike protein may not be enough.
www.clinicaltrialsarena.com

Covid-19 vaccines curbed by existing antibodies, some may need booster

AstraZeneca’s AZD1222, as well as Rome-based ReiThera’s Covid-19 vaccines are also adenovirus vectored but use nonhuman vectors.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Everyone missed it because it wasn't in the title, you know most people don't even read the OP.
Even if people did read the OP, there's more than enough room to mention Canada in the thread title.

Feels like OP left Canada out on purpose to vilify the CCP and China.

And you know the CCP already does a good vilifying themselves, so I don't see the point in trying to incite more hate.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I was listening to a podcast and heard that this particular vaccine doesn't look like it's creating the sort of antibody counts that you would want to see.

I think this one has already gone into wider testing (30K or so). Seems a bit early to be going this wide with it, but I am not an expert so hopefully this is safe.

RamsesGod43

Sep 28, 2019
Mississauga
Even if people did read the OP, there's more than enough room to mention Canada in the thread title.

And you know the CCP already does a good vilifying themselves, so I don't see the point in trying to incite more hate.
They are committing genocide against Muslims. Why the sympathy? Pour on the hate against that government.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Less worried about the efficiency but more about side effects due to fast trackin.
The way these things are built nowadays, they have a known and thorougly tested base. It is just the 'trigger' that is a bit different. Like it is a measles vaccine with now something against corona. At worst, they don't work.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

The skipping of a phase to fast track it in China to test on larger groups is the danger and the story. Canada will also test it but they won't be skipping any phases. Testing a vaccine in general is not a controversy, skipping a phase is.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
They are committing genocide against Muslims. Why the sympathy? Pour on the hate against that government.
Cause this forum can't separate the difference between the CCP and China and it has proven many times, people don't care and will lump all Chinese people with the CCP, which is pretty racist.

We've had tons of threads on it. Shit was even sticky'd on top of the off topic for a month.

I specifically said the CCP vilify themselves all the time, but if you can't tell the difference, don't know what to tell you.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Downplaying racism
Wtf is wrong with you? That was racist.

What makes you assume that this has anything to do with racism as opposed a general lack of empathy. It's just as likely the poster says the same thing about everyone participating in vaccine trials. It's still a cruel thing to say but why make that leap?