• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
China has accused the United States of trying to "create chaos" in the Asia-Pacific, a day after US National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien, on a visit to the Philippines, backed countries in maritime disputes with China and accused Beijing of using military pressure to further its own interests.

During his trip to Manila, O'Brien told the Philippines and Vietnam, both countries in disputes with Beijing cover the South China Sea: "We've got your back". He also reiterated the US commitment to self-ruled Taiwan.

China said his remarks were "unreasonable" and exaggerated regional tensions.

"We firmly oppose these remarks which are full of Cold War mentality and wantonly incite confrontation," the Chinese Embassy in Manila said in a statement posted on its website. "It shows that his visit to this region is not to promote regional peace and stability, but to create chaos in the region in order to seek selfish interests of the US."

China also hit out at O'Brien's comments on Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its own. O'Brien warned China it would face a "backlash" if it attempted to use military force to coerce the island.

President-elect Joe Biden is expected to take a more diplomatic approach to China, but a more assertive approach to Beijing has broad bipartisan support in Washington, DC.

www.aljazeera.com

China accuses ‘dangerous’ US of ‘creating chaos’ in Asia

Embassy in Manila condemns US after visiting White House envoy pledges support to the Philippines over maritime claims.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how bad relations with China can get in the next 50 years or so.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at the CPC try to talk about "creating chaos", not saying either Philippine and Vietnam even remotely right in their claim about South "china" sea, but that's rich coming from the biggest SE Asia bully.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
China's dream is the domination of Viet Nam as always, no matter who is in charge of that land, they have tried like 4 times in the past.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
can someone explain how the fairly common diplomatic truism "we've got your back" creates 'chaos' and 'incites confrontation'?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, it seems as if every other country but China in that region are pretty likeminded about who it is that is causing chaos in the region.

Even Vietnam, a country that has every reason to hate us forever, is actively trying to build stronger diplomatic and military relations with the US in an effort to counter China. Think about that for a second.Vietnam!

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Im surprised China is whining and crying and not just playing with the Americans at their own game by cozying up to Canada and Mexico.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, it seems as if every other country but China in that region are pretty likeminded about who it is that is causing chaos in the region.

Even Vietnam, a country that has every reason to hate us forever, is actively trying to build stronger diplomatic and military relations with the US in an effort to counter China. Think about that for a second.Vietnam!
The war with the US is a speck of dust compared to the long history Vietnam has with China. Vietnam basically spent one thousand years under China rules then another thousand year fending off China domination.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As shit as the US is when it comes to this sort of thing, China is way worse in this specific instance and in general when it comes to east Asia specifically

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
More talk. Nothing will happen as long as the world continues to rely on China for manufacturing.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Cambodia not on the list then? Last I heard from America was Trump saying that they wanted the money back they owed the US (which of course is an utter joke).

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I think they're confusing "creating chaos" with "not letting us do whatever the hell we want"
Ding ding ding ding!

More to the point though, I wish other world powers shows more willingness to compete with China with regards to financial investment in the SEA region. I'm way oversimplifying this but diplomacy aside, this is how you could more straightforwardly curb China's influence.
Won't be easy and def won't be cheap but hopefully worth it imho

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This more for internal consumption in China then anything else.

Their whole diplomacy stance is "we can't appear weak". They're not going to flex any sort of hard power. They'll just keep building islands and letting fishermen run amok in the South China Sea till oops 30 years later it all belongs to China.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
And people actually think US is doing this to help those countries? lol.

As a Taiwanese, it blows to see US using Taiwan as a chess piece against China.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Creating chaos? FUCK THEM! They're building bases on our islands and stealing our resources.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Ding ding ding ding!

More to the point though, I wish other world powers shows more willingness to compete with China with regards to financial investment in the SEA region. I'm way oversimplifying this but diplomacy aside, this is how you could more straightforwardly curb China's influence.
Won't be easy and def won't be cheap but hopefully worth it imho

Yeah, more economic relationships are the way to go. Some sort of Trans-Pacific Partnership

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at the CPC try to talk about "creating chaos", not saying either Philippine and Vietnam even remotely right in their claim about South "china" sea, but that's rich coming from the biggest SE Asia bully.
They are though, its been arbitrated. China has no right to flop its dong out on Vietnamese and Filipino waters

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
And people actually think US is doing this to help those countries? lol.

As a Taiwanese, it blows to see US using Taiwan as a chess piece against China.
Basically this. Coincidentally, if one takes a look at SK, Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines and Vietnam on a map, they basically form a continuous barrier around China's maritime access and inhibit the growth of their naval reach, and they all happen to be friendly to the US. This is a pure political play to contain China that's been used by the US for decades.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
They are though, its been arbitrated. China has no right to flop its dong out on Vietnamese and Filipino waters

You trying to tell me this isn't a totally reasonable territorial claim /s

vietnam-vs-china-south-china-sea.jpg

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Basically this. Coincidentally, if one takes a look at SK, Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines and Vietnam on a map, they basically form a continuous barrier around China's maritime access and inhibit the growth of their naval reach, and they all happen to be friendly to the US. This is a pure political play to contain China that's been used by the US for decades.
Ok sure, but what if China tried to out-friendly the US with those countries instead of threatening them? Its insane that Vietnam is currently more friendly with US than China, isn't it?
China also recently annexed Bhutan's territory and constantly clashes with India over the border.
So I'd say that China is doing a pretty good job of inhibiting and isolating itself.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Ok sure, but what if China tried to out-friendly the US with those countries instead of threatening them? Its insane that Vietnam is currently more friendly with US than China, isn't it?
China also recently annexed Bhutan's territory and constantly clashes with India over the border.
So I'd say that China is doing a pretty good job of inhibiting and isolating itself.
Not really. Vietnam fought a war with China after the US did and there are a ton of problems with that relationship going all the way back to the Soviet-Sino split. All of China's neighbors in general had been dominated by them for centuries and so now they are either US allies or use the US as a way to counter China's influence. China really has no way to go - except maybe Central Asia (hence the Silk Road initiative) and elsewhere in the world (i.e. Africa)

EDIT: India is a different situation entirely, but there are other reasons (i.e. Pakistan) why it's not in either of them's best interest to be too friendly with each other.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
CCP also use the rhetoric of "stop thinking with a cold war mentality" to anyone who does anything they don't like. While they interpret basically every action every country around them takes within the framing of US-China relations. Interpreting everything a nation does within a context like that is cold-war thinking.

Obviously, the US will influence some decision making, as will China. But plans and agreements that have taken near decades to get in order and finally ratified, then get interpreted in the context of the last year or so. There is no question though that a lot of the countries here are straight up caught in-between. It is a messy situation.