• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Pro_Legal_cultivation.png

"This is definitely the hardest game I've had to market, and that's saying something," Wilson told me. "It has been a fucking nightmare. The fact that we're still so afraid of a topic like weed instead of the murder simulators you can market any time, anywhere, it's shocking."

Console game stores were reluctant to even carry it, and warned Devolver that it would never be featured, which is a death sentence for a game's discoverability. They couldn't get ads approved on Facebook or Instagram, and the person who submitted them even had his account suspended. And just this week, streamers trying out the game on YouTube had their videos demonetized.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/15/c...ws-games-industrys-backwards-stance-on-drugs/

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's pretty ridiculous, especially considering marijuana is legal in quite a few states with that number increasing every year.

Also ridiculous considering ever major game retailer promoted, for example, GTA V, which involves drug dealing, torturing people, mass murder, and pulling off heists. Yet a simulation of a business that is legal in many states is somehow over the line?

Sony and Microsoft have also promoted the ability to buy episodes of Breaking Bad on their storefronts, a show entirely about selling meth.

Last edited:

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but like, yall know it's illegal in the vast majority of europe and rest of the world right?

The world doesn't revolve around the USA.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry champ, weed is just too edgy for us. Check out this video of Baraka ripping a face off, though

LordQuas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but like, yall know it's illegal in the vast majority of europe and rest of the world right?

Murder is illegal everywhere, but Hotline Miami didn't have these problems. It's a game where you receive contracts to murder hundreds of people gruesomely. I don't understand the logic here.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017

Totally forgot how murder is legal in those places. /s

Not really surprising considering how stigmatized drugs / sex is here. I know public opinion is shifting on this, but it's going to take a while for businesses to feel confidant enough to push or even allow products like this.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Interesting case here. Really off how it's perfectly fine to market murder simulators, but any controlled substances are just a no go. I assume the same even goes for alcohol (though I can't think of any attempted games revolving around something like distilling). Feel like their best bet for ads would be targeted marketing in areas that it's legal and enthusiast publications.

Edit: Also find the posters comments about it not being legal everywhere wild. Goes to show how (obviously illegal everywhere) violence is so engrained into gaming culture.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't knew that this game was actually selling weed to people, whew!

It's a game. It's not about murder, rape, heists or whatever, it's about selling weed. Just as there are hundreds more games about doing illegal shit, it's ridiculous that a game as inoffensive as this is getting this much pushback.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's even weirder considering a lot of game journos live in SF, where it's legal and quite prominent

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's not really surprising. The demonetization is weirder though.
"This is definitely the hardest game I've had to market, and that's saying something," Wilson told me. "It has been a fucking nightmare. The fact that we're still so afraid of a topic like weed instead of the murder simulators you can market any time, anywhere, it's shocking."
Are we gonna get that guy banned for false equivalence? (/s)

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I have it on my wish list. I just have 100 more things on my playlist over this management sim at the moment.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I've had it wishlisted in Steam for a while (catched it from my Steam activity feed when a friend wishlisted it). Should probably look up some reviews, if there are any except user reviews. Absolutely ridiculous how it's treated.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god these murder takes...

Think about it more, "Weed Tycoon" is about the real life industry that actually exists and is a simulation of sorts, e.g. I don't think Heroin/Cocaine Tycoon would do that well either.

The games you all quoting me ad nauseum are supposed to be fictional, hence why people can sell them better as "fantasy."

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The stance on certain issues is ridiculous but is there a thread on this that finally answers the question; "is weed good/bad for you?"

Obviously smoking it does something to your lungs since you are inhaling toxins but any studies on vaping it or taking not it medicinally yet that's pretty solid?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's a dumb concept. I could see why it appeals to few.

It's not like we have alcohol tycoon games on the market. Or do we?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
sell it here in canadia... pretty fucking weird to see this about something so benign that I can go down the street to legally buy.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Think about it more, "Weed Tycoon" is about the real life industry that actually exists and is a simulation of sorts, e.g. I don't think Heroin/Cocaine Tycoon would do that well either.

The games you all quoting me ad nauseum are supposed to be fictional, hence why people can sell them better as "fantasy."
Oh bull fucking shit, stop with this. Even if this was a Pablo Escobar simulator, it shouldn't be this controversial. It being "something that actually exists" means absolutely fucking nothing. WW1 and WW2 existed, and yet games about those wars still go on to sell millions and be advertised at primetime TV. What a ridiculous stance to take.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Probably because playing as a heroin or cocaine tycoon would involve the player doing far more fucked up shit than selling weed legally.

on the other hand, "heheh, weed" is not exactly a wide appeal for a game.
Hard to tell if your game can't be advertised though.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the premise of the article is flawed as the chilly reception is indicative of the opposite, really. Everybody seems to be pretty desensitized to weed as some edgy or cool thing, so marketing a game around this aspect alone is not going to make it stand out in a crowd to most in the industry.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh bull fucking shit, stop with this. Even if this was a Pablo Escobar simulator, it shouldn't be this controversial. It being "something that actually exists" means absolutely fucking nothing. WW1 and WW2 existed, and yet games about those wars still go on to sell millions and be advertised at primetime TV. What a ridiculous stance to take.
So why are they finding it so hard to market then?

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Chinatown Wars has a dedicated game mode for drug dealing. This is part of the reefer madness propaganda that just won't die.

Jul 20, 2018

Imagine trying to sell Cigarette Tycoon.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you had "Murder Tycoon" it probably wouldn't be so easy.

You mean like all the other games named after illegal behaviors, like Hitman, Grand Theft Auto, etc.? Why is this any different? It's just as fictional as those games.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I assume the same even goes for alcohol (though I can't think of any attempted games revolving around something like distilling).
The ESRB put on Breath of the Wild's E10+ box that it contained references to alcohol.
What this actually entails is that if Link asks for alcohol at a tavern, the bartender says he's too young. I think there may be a drunken NPC or two, but it's odd that they think that this is a problem at all or encourages debauched behavior.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well, there's Prison Tycoon, which is a simulator about the privatized prison system, something far more reprehensible than selling weed.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I just remember that there was a literal Scarfarce game on the PS2 that got a retail release with no controversy. I guess drug dealing is more palatable when it's based off a movie?

I think the premise of the article is flawed as the chilly reception is indicative of the opposite, really. Everybody seems to be pretty desensitized to weed as some edgy or cool thing, so marketing a game around this aspect alone is not going to make it stand out in a crowd to most in the industry.
Did you miss the part where they literally can't market it properly?

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So why are they finding it so hard to market then?
Because drug laws pretty much everywhere are stuck in the old ages, it's still a big-ass "no-no" for advertisers everywhere, and people still make a fuss when they have to deal with the matter.

Mix that with games, which people STILL associate with kids and you've got the perfect bomb on your hands.
These Video Games Are Teaching Our Kids To Sell And Use Drugs!

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the idea of a weed simulator is just boring as fuck.

So ya played yourselves, Devolver.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because drug laws pretty much everywhere are stuck in the old ages, it's still a big-ass "no-no" for advertisers everywhere, and people still make a fuss when they have to deal with the matter.

Mix that with games, which people STILL associate with kids and you've got the perfect bomb on your hands.
These Video Games Are Teaching Our Kids To Sell And Use Drugs!
Except that doesn't stop them from promoting other games about committing crimes. Some of which involve selling drugs, murder for hire, grand larceny, grand theft auto, torture, kidnapping, prostitution, etc.