• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I don't want to fight, but the anti vaxxer stuff was dismissed at least a couple of years ago. Let's give the guy a chance before asking for his head.

www.eldinamo.cl

¿Es el ministro Enrique Paris antivacunas?

El nombramiento de Enrique Paris como nuevo ministro de Salud generó una nueva polémica, siendo acusado como "antivacunas".

Why fighting? It's a valid point.

But, see, there are two problems with that article (I read it earlier too)

One, is that it shows that, in any case, he was against the scientific consensus because it was in favor of his political party (and religious, who we know played a good part in the Piñera campaign), then was in favor, then he also speaked about "freedom to choose not to vax", and then back to "I was wrong". This shows that if there is political pressure to say something, he'll say it, no matter the scientific consensus. The second one, is that "only warning about Timerosal" is anti-vaxxer rhetoric. Like Andrew Wakefield who also did the "I just warn about this thing, I'm not calling against vaccines".

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Man my apartment rental contract ends in september and owner came by to say hes selling the apartment. So we gotta find a new place in september. He did lower the rent for these last 3 months by 25% to help out in difficult times which was nice.

But yeah moving in a pandemic and now having no pre-requisites to rent since my girl and I have been jobless for 3-4 months is gonna be no fun at all. I dont even want to think about it.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Man my apartment rental contract ends in september and owner came by to say hes selling the apartment. So we gotta find a new place in september. He did lower the rent for these last 3 months by 25% to help out in difficult times which was nice.

But yeah moving in a pandemic and now having no pre-requisites to rent since my girl and I have been jobless for 3-4 months is gonna be no fun at all. I dont even want to think about it.

Holy shit :( that's harsh. If I see or get to know anything in San Miguel, I will tell you. A co-worker moved two weeks ago near El Llano so he might know something

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit :( that's harsh. If I see or get to know anything in San Miguel, I will tell you. A co-worker moved two weeks ago near El Llano so he might know something
Damn, sorry to hear that. I wish you the best looking, for jobs and for apartments.
Thanks guys. Yeah, bad timing all of this. But i gotta think property owners with renters must be shitting themselves right now. The owner of my apartment has one other apartment and his renters haven't paid rent in 2 months. So he's had to take it out of their security deposit (i think both parties must have agreed to that.) But going forward if they dont pay hes probably shit out of luck. I'd honestly hate to be a property owner in times like these. Some are saying the requisitos for apartments have lowered because of covid, some say its the same. I guess ill find out soon.

Just as a related not: I have been hearing people being able to re-adjust their rental contracts price wise, so if youve been affected job wise with the crisis you may be able to lower your rent cost a bit. I honestly didn't even ask and my owner offered anyways. Maybe he felt guilty for the situation but i dont fault him at all and its all within his rights to do what he wants with his property. Hes actually a good dude and have shared a beer with him plenty of times. Its more sad that we lose that because some landlords can be assholes and its nice to be friendly with one for a change.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017

Fuck, I'm very sorry to hear this. Your landlord sounds like a very reasonable person. I've heard of families getting kicked out of some places lately, so I'm glad to hear you've still got some time to plan ahead. The area we live in is full of buildings, so I will keep an eye out in case I see flats for rent.

Very late PSA:

103611848_2607137376193399_3536036771256177219_o.jpg

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man is pretty telling how we are all on the shitter with death tolls and new covid cases, and the right wingers go on full force defending and thanking Mañalich for his work. Holy shit the right is fucking dumb, like how can you even?!?!

The level of bad faith is just, mind blowing.

And the left is useless and spineless as always.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I hate my awful way of thinking, but at this point, I don't care too much to be honest. The government is awful and I see now way this is ending anytime soon.
Join me in my bubble. I have beer and TLOU2.

I wish I could, but I can't. I mean totally, since I often do just disconnect, but my hate grows in-between-plays you know. Specially when there's a fucking update and I have to wait

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
My work called wanting us to go back in 2 weeks. I am really conflicted. I need the money. The problem is taking the metro everyday. My work area is chill as hell. It is the definition of social distancing. I work with one other person in a big ass office/bodega and our desks are 20 meters apart and no one else bothers us. I barely speak a word to anyone throughout the day minus yelling over to my coworker when I need something.

I wonder if we could pull negotiating covering a portion of the cost to take a didi or uber to carpool us to work. They specifically told us that we will be provided with all the sanitary products needed and required but that we gotta "know the risks" in going back so I gotta let them know or I lose the most chill job I have ever had. I basically do 1 weeks of work a month and sleep and watch netflix the rest of the day.

How many of you have been working through this entire pandemic and how have you dealt with the day to day? Especially transportation?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I've been lucky, I'm with work from home and at a office wide meeting yesterday, we got told there's no date for the office to reopen. At the very least, I'm going to be home till September, although some directors are going to push to wait until next year.

My plan when I had to go back was to put part of my budget towards using a car and all the associated expenses. It's going to impact on the amount of money I save, but I live with person who is in a risk group, and I don't trust others to be responsible on the public transport.

If you are on contact with other coworkers of yours I'd say you talk it with them and ask your company what are the chances of them putting some kind of transport only for employees or subsidizing part of the cost of private transport. Present it on that point - public transport is bad on the infection part and none of you want to caught it there and then spread it on the office.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
My work called wanting us to go back in 2 weeks. I am really conflicted. I need the money. The problem is taking the metro everyday. My work area is chill as hell. It is the definition of social distancing. I work with one other person in a big ass office/bodega and our desks are 20 meters apart and no one else bothers us. I barely speak a word to anyone throughout the day minus yelling over to my coworker when I need something.

I wonder if we could pull negotiating covering a portion of the cost to take a didi or uber to carpool us to work. They specifically told us that we will be provided with all the sanitary products needed and required but that we gotta "know the risks" in going back so I gotta let them know or I lose the most chill job I have ever had. I basically do 1 weeks of work a month and sleep and watch netflix the rest of the day.

How many of you have been working through this entire pandemic and how have you dealt with the day to day? Especially transportation?

I've been working every other day since may (and every friday) at the office, with home office the rest of the week. At first I had to take public transport, used Uber when I could walk to San Miguel, but once it got into quarantine I had to take micro a couple of days. Not fully full, but people really don't know how to use the available space.

After that I talked here so we could use the company's cars for transportation, so a designated driver takes us from and to our houses. It limits the ammount of people I interact with when I'm out of the house working, it's still more than what you'd like, but it's something at least. It could be far far worse

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I work from home luckily, and we haven't set a date to return to the office yet. I expect we'll wait until September at least since August will likely be a tough month even if just for basic flu.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
A couple of weeks ago we were told that we won't be going back to our offices until the very end of the year at least.

As other have already mentioned, your best bet is to talk to your employer and look into the possibility of hiring a taxi service that can drive you to work. Riding a bike to work is also a viable option!

The situation at my workplace is more than complicated, but I guess this is happening everywhere else; it just took longer to reach us. It is possible our salaries will be lowered during the second term and some people will be fired. That will suck a lot.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
A couple of weeks ago we were told that we won't be going back to our offices until the very end of the year at least.

As other have already mentioned, your best bet is to talk to your employer and look into the possibility of hiring a taxi service that can drive you to work. Riding a bike to work is also a viable option!

The situation at my workplace is more than complicated, but I guess this is happening everywhere else; it just took longer to reach us. It is possible our salaries will be lowered during the second term and some people will be fired. That will suck a lot.

That's terrible :(

I have to come to work at the office two or three days per week but... at the very least, we haven't been hit by the crisis, at all. It's still "normal" year numbers.

My brother's SO is working at a vulnerable, municipal preschool. Situation is so horrible for so many families. My stomach hurts everytime she tells us how things are for some. We help in the way we can, I personally donate every time I can to either Ollas Comunes, animal shelters, etc. since all those places are hit with less donors, but still, it feels so powerless to know how shitty the situation is for so many and the little one can do (and infuriating knowing that so much could be done on a bigger scale)

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could work from home, the job is dealing with government documents that cannot leave the building by any means, otherwise it'd be super easy to do the job with just a PC and maybe a scanner.

I will mention the car service and see what they say. Taxi isn't a sure thing, but like mentioned above it at least removes the exposure to the amount of people in the metro.

Riding a bike in this cold weather... dude I am canadian but fuck that haha. If I lived north of Franklin I would honestly walk as I used to when I lived in centro. Too far where I am at now.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hanging in there, but of two best friends, one was laid off - she worked in an airline - and the other works in retail.... not very good there either.
I've been donating food, since my situation thankfully has been stable, but I agree with Serpens, all that's happening is so damn infuriating, and its heartbreaking realizing that the levels of poverty and misery are shooting up.

And cries, if you can't deal with the cold, what's left for us poor Santiaguinos that were used to not cold but rainy winters? We're done for.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hanging in there, but of two best friends, one was laid off - she worked in an airline - and the other works in retail.... not very good there either.
I've been donating food, since my situation thankfully has been stable, but I agree with Serpens, all that's happening is so damn infuriating, and its heartbreaking realizing that the levels of poverty and misery are shooting up.

And cries, if you can't deal with the cold, what's left for us poor Santiaguinos that were used to not cold but rainy winters? We're done for.
I often say that I suffer way more here in winter than I ever did in Canada. Especially when indoors. Mostly due to houses and windows being better insulated in north america than they are here I guess. And the fact that every single house or public building is heated to 22-25 celcius in winter back home. When it is -25 outside i am in boxers and barefeet in my house no problem.

Also, i think i have lost my immunity to really cold weather living here for so long. My first winter in Santiago I was laughing at people with big jackets in 10 degree weather, and I was wearing a t shirt. But now I am one of those jacket wearing people.

And sorry to hear about your friends. Sadly those are two industries that have been devestated and will see a tough future. My girl works in retail and ive been trying to teach her photoshop and programming to try and just use our time wisely at home and have her learn new skills.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
PSA: Dark Season 3 streams at 3AM here

I watched the first season and loved it. By the time the second season came out, I was too confused. I need to start all the way from the beginning. In any case, it would be a good idea to binge watch it this weekend.

TLOU2 left me emotionally scarred though!

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I kinda quit Dark halfway through season 2 not sure why because i liked it enough. Ill wait until im back at work to binge it.

This console gen was the first I have ever skipped. I've been watching a lets play of TLOU2 because I dont see myself playing it for a long while. And i got spoiled anyways a while back. It is gut wrenching.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I just stocked with the Switch since I really don't have much time to play. However, if PS5 is backwards compatible, I'll think I'll get one down the road, there's lots of good PS4 exclusives and multi platforms I want to try.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 will cost like 1 million considering the prize they're selling consoles now lol.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, I'm watching used PS4 selling for 250+ lucas with a couple of games, and boy, that's the price I bought it in May 2015

Same deal with the GPUs. 1060 6gb around 170-200 lucas, I bought mine in 2018 at 180k

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm watching used PS4 selling for 250+ lucas with a couple of games, and boy, that's the price I bought it in May 2015

Same deal with the GPUs. 1060 6gb around 170-200 lucas, I bought mine in 2018 at 180k
I'm sorry, what? Lol what price did the PS4 launch at here? Is that 2015 PS4 price used as well?

Is it because the dollar vs CLP you mean that prices are pretty much the same now as they were 5 years ago?

At this rate and those prices I will probably never build a new PC.

PS5 will launch at 500.000+ CLP for sure, right?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming all stores will use the dólar a Luca exchange rate for the new gen.
And yeah, back in 2014/2015 the exchange rate was pretty low. The first semester in 2014 we had a 1 usd = 400 CLP exchange rate which help a lot.
It's gone up a lot since then.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
There's a lake outside of my house. We've had lots of rain this year and Santiago collapsed as expected.
Waiting for a sudden power outage at the moment lol.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I already charged all my stuff. We've literally had outages every single time it has rained this year.
Damn Enel seriously didn't bother with preventive measures, and with all the wind I'm just waiting for the "oh, tree brack snapped a power line, so... enjoy your candlelight" tweet.

Last edited:

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I've already lost power 3 times today but it was only for 2 minutes at a time. I remember the exchange rates in 2014 because it wasn't in my favor with dollars and I had just got here and was like yo this place is expensive.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm sorry, what? Lol what price did the PS4 launch at here? Is that 2015 PS4 price used as well?

Is it because the dollar vs CLP you mean that prices are pretty much the same now as they were 5 years ago?

At this rate and those prices I will probably never build a new PC.

PS5 will launch at 500.000+ CLP for sure, right?

It launched at $360.000 CLP or around that price. In 2015 it was still close to that, but there were tons of deals of bundles with TV thanks to Copa America. I got mine from a guy that had a PS4 but bought a PS4 + 60" TV, so it was "used" price but it was actually new with two games.

Usually stores do 1 USD = 1 Luca, but since prices are going up, I'm expecting more than that. PS5 will be at least CLP500.000

But PC prices are also going up. GPU specially, prices are nuts

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I bought my PS4 in April 2015 with my second salary. I paid 380k and it came with 2 games: Battlefield 4 and GTA V. I played the whole weekend after that. I remember feeling really good.

I can't believe how much consoles and games prices have skyrocketed this time. There are people selling their used consoles for 300k+. It's nearly absurd.

I hope all this shit will be over soon. I haven't checked much news lately, but we seem to be slowly moving into more "positive numbers" territory?

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the "positive" streak doesn't lead to stupid shit like Apumanque opening again.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I bought my PS4 in April 2015 with my second salary. I paid 380k and it came with 2 games: Battlefield 4 and GTA V. I played the whole weekend after that. I remember feeling really good.

I can't believe how much consoles and games prices have skyrocketed this time. There are people selling their used consoles for 300k+. It's nearly absurd.

I hope all this shit will be over soon. I haven't checked much news lately, but we seem to be slowly moving into more "positive numbers" territory?

Nah. Enrique Paris like to claim that around 20% of positives have dropped, but tests have too. Positivity rate is still above 25% which means that we are testing way too low. It's just the Trump strategy: test less, less positives, claim that therefore everything's better

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Testing is taking a hit, but there are multiple reasons - as an anecdote, my boss was sick as a dog but he refused to get himself a PCR test because he was scared that if he didn't have the virus, he'd get infected at the hospital. Only when he had shortness of breath he got it done, and the results were kind of obvious.

At the same time, I think they'd should remove the requirement of having a doctor's note to get the exam done. If I was scared I have it, in case I had symptoms, its definitively an extra barrier going to the primary care or the ER, getting a note, and then finding somewhere to do the test. Either that, or make the antibody test easier to access.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Testing is taking a hit, but there are multiple reasons - as an anecdote, my boss was sick as a dog but he refused to get himself a PCR test because he was scared that if he didn't have the virus, he'd get infected at the hospital. Only when he had shortness of breath he got it done, and the results were kind of obvious.

At the same time, I think they'd should remove the requirement of having a doctor's note to get the exam done. If I was scared I have it, in case I had symptoms, its definitively an extra barrier going to the primary care or the ER, getting a note, and then finding somewhere to do the test. Either that, or make the antibody test easier to access.

Oh yeah, totally. Less tests can be for a multitude of reasons. I think that it isn't even Paris' will to speak like this, it's more a gov't communicational strategy to stop the downward spiral of bad press, but he does press that button so much that you can see specialists getting angry everyday.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm pretty optimistic today. I know that by September we'll all be back in the streets and resuming our normal life. I fucking miss my commute. It was the perfect time to listen to my music/podcasts and clear my mind before/after work.

RIP Plaza Italia though; however, I still believe that should Estallido Social 2.0 occur, it won't even be a quarter of what it was last year. I'd happily eat crow.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I does seems that things improved, at least in the RM. Rancagua has a gigantic positivity (around 48% I think) and other regions are increasing. But hte RM as dropped by a good margin. Still far from the less than 10% recommended to start reopening, but progress is progress.

My guess is that October would be a better date. I hope other regions decrease too.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I worry about a new outbreak of the virus in the future, though. If the situation is calmer by September, you'll have a big amount of idiots (specially capitalinos, because we just love to fuck it up here) who won't care about any sanitary measures and be back in big family gathering for fiestas patrias. Zero social distancing, no one caring about face masks, and a huge amount of drunks. It's like a nightmare.

We already had a spike in case in may, due to mother's day and people not understanding that social distancing means literally distancing. I could see reopening in October if we somehow survive september without a new spike, though.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Yeah, fiestas patrias is going to be awful, if we don't understand how to wear masks properly or keep our distance, or not to go to a multicancha to make some asados, we are fucked. I used to go to a feria libre near my house, but the street is so narrow that is impossible to keep your distance, I know of 5 people that went there an got the virus, really dangerous around here.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand it passed! By a landslide!

Is this the final step or does it go to another level? Senate?

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I believe now it goes into Comisión de Constitución because some indications were asked so there is that, then the indications could be voted, then I think it's senate's time
One thing I don't get is the 35UF minimum they are talking about. If you don't have 35UF you can't take out anything or you can take it all out?

I have always said if i left Chile (its been on my mind recently with my girlfriend) I would try and take out my AFP funds and move it elsewhere. I looked into it a while back and its VERY hard to pull off but some extranjeros who have left chile have managed it. You need to have a university degree and I do have that - not sure why its a requisite but it is. I am asking for my girlfriend who has way less than 35UF being here only 2.5 years and doesn't have a uni degree to go the other route.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
One thing I don't get is the 35UF minimum they are talking about. If you don't have 35UF you can't take out anything or you can take it all out?

I have always said if i left Chile (its been on my mind recently with my girlfriend) I would try and take out my AFP funds and move it elsewhere. I looked into it a while back and its VERY hard to pull off but some extranjeros who have left chile have managed it. You need to have a university degree and I do have that - not sure why its a requisite but it is. I am asking for my girlfriend who has way less than 35UF being here only 2.5 years and doesn't have a uni degree to go the other route.

Just read about it and, in case you have less than 35UF, you can take all the money out. Fuck yes.

www.biobiochile.cl

Diputados propinan dura derrota al Gobierno y aprueban en general retiro del 10% desde las AFP

La Sala de la Cámara de Diputados aprobó en general, por 95 votos a favor, 25 en contra y 31...

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Just read about it and, in case you have less than 35UF, you can take all the money out. Fuck yes.

www.biobiochile.cl

Diputados propinan dura derrota al Gobierno y aprueban en general retiro del 10% desde las AFP

La Sala de la Cámara de Diputados aprobó en general, por 95 votos a favor, 25 en contra y 31...
Thanks was just reading that same thing when i saw your reply. Lol Thats pretty damn cool and gonna be a huge help to a lot of people. I am not celebrating yet as the senate is mostly piñera(oficialismo) sided, no? Isn't that gonna be a hard sell there to pass? And can't the president just veto it?

Taking 35 UF out of your pension decades in advance isnt gonna make a change in the shitty ass pension most chileans are going to get anyways when they retire.

The issue I see here is your AFP money not being in effectivo, and how much will your current AFP balance really end up being after they have to sell off investments to give you your cash? Is that not how this works? Its like selling your stocks when they hit almost zero. But its sadly come to that for a lot of people.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
AFP's money it's all invested in shares. The stock market will be crazy tomorrow and who knows what'll happen in the case the senate approves. They will have to sell tons of them to have cash, which will plummet the prices even more. Crazy times ahead, folks, crazy times

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
AFPs were always a house of cards anyways. I'm scared to think of what's ahead to be honest.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks was just reading that same thing when i saw your reply. Lol Thats pretty damn cool and gonna be a huge help to a lot of people. I am not celebrating yet as the senate is mostly piñera(oficialismo) sided, no? Isn't that gonna be a hard sell there to pass? And can't the president just veto it?

Taking 35 UF out of your pension decades in advance isnt gonna make a change in the shitty ass pension most chileans are going to get anyways when they retire.

The issue I see here is your AFP money not being in effectivo, and how much will your current AFP balance really end up being after they have to sell off investments to give you your cash? Is that not how this works? Its like selling your stocks when they hit almost zero. But its sadly come to that for a lot of people.
You're forgetting another issue - depending on the amount it may have to pay taxes, since getting that money would probably be considered income. And now that is going to be a nasty surprise for some, when checking their tax returns in 2021 and realizing they don't get money back, instead they owe money to the government. To avoid that they'd probably have to change the tax laws, and that would be a disaster and a half.