• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine the amount of firings after Juneteenth actually takes place:

Complex said:
As pointed out by TMZ, the Children's Museum of Indianapolis faced widespread criticism this week after someone posted a photo of its "Juneteenth Watermelon Salad" offered in its cafeteria. Social media users slammed the museum for the labeling, saying it perpetuated a stereotype about Black people and Black culture. Some argued that the ill-conceived move further highlighted how some don't take the federal holiday seriously or understand its significance.,

The museum has since pulled the item from its cafeteria and issue a public apology.

"As a museum, we apologize and acknowledge the negative impact that stereotypes have on communities of color," it wrote in a statement provided to the IndyStar. "The salad has been removed from the menu. We are currently reviewing how we may best convey these stories and traditions during this year's Juneteenth celebration as well as making changes around how future food selections are made by our food service provider."

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
When one of these stories comes out I always feel like it's this.

Some argued that the ill-conceived move further highlighted how some don't take the federal holiday seriously

People treat it like some kind of joke holiday.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's really disappointing. We love that museum and have taken our kids there since our first was an infant. They're usually super progressive and inclusive and have had all sorts of exhibits about equality and diversity.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but wonder how many meetings took place where this idea was brought up and never shot down for what it is

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I bet money someone pointed this out(usualy a black woman) and she was ignored

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If i had money, i would make a anthology movie that shows a black woman at ever bad spot in history.

Pompeii: Sister Dorothy May:" That mountain don't look right, I am going to stay with my sister in Carthage"

Chernobyl: Edna James:" Mister Igor sir, I know it ain't my business, but ain't those gauges running a little hot?"

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
If i had money, i would make a anthology movie that shows a black woman at ever bad spot in history.

Pompeii: Sister Dorothy May:" That mountain don't look right, I am going to stay with my sister in Carthage"

Chernobyl: Edna James:" Mister Igor sir, I know it ain't my business, but ain't those gauges running a little hot?"

If we were smart, we'd post black women all over the world as our early warning system.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I bet this person got put on a PIP

"We felt that your performance this quarter was acceptable, but also received multiple reports that you weren't being a team player. As such, we're requiring that you meet with your manager once per month to review anonymous peer reviews about your attitude and performance."

I hate that "PIP" is a common enough thing that I know what it means.

Edit: Feel like I completely missed the mark here too. For the record, I feel that this product was purposeful.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was going to be one of those fruit salads served inside half of a watermelon.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Full apology:

As a museum, we apologize and acknowledge the negative impact that stereotypes have on communities of color. The salad has been removed from the menu. We are currently reviewing how we may best convey these stories and traditions during this year's Juneteenth celebration as well as making changes around how future food selections are made by our food service provider.

Our food service provider uses the food and beverage menu to commemorate and raise awareness of holidays like Juneteenth. The team that made this selection included their staff members who based this choice of food on their own family traditions.

As we work to create a culture of empowerment and inclusivity, we know there will be stumbles along the way. As a museum, we have put a significant effort behind sharing the critical and diverse stories of a wide range of individuals. We also have placed a strong emphasis on expanding DEAI initiatives throughout the museum. We resolve to do better, and continue bringing all voices forward in our work.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Full apology:

As a museum, we apologize and acknowledge the negative impact that stereotypes have on communities of color. The salad has been removed from the menu. We are currently reviewing how we may best convey these stories and traditions during this year's Juneteenth celebration as well as making changes around how future food selections are made by our food service provider.

Our food service provider uses the food and beverage menu to commemorate and raise awareness of holidays like Juneteenth. The team that made this selection included their staff members who based this choice of food on their own family traditions.

As we work to create a culture of empowerment and inclusivity, we know there will be stumbles along the way. As a museum, we have put a significant effort behind sharing the critical and diverse stories of a wide range of individuals. We also have placed a strong emphasis on expanding DEAI initiatives throughout the museum. We resolve to do better, and continue bringing all voices forward in our work.

The bullshit is especially pungent here.