• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Children Leash - What do you think

• I have children - I say yes

Votes: 147 11.0%
  • I have children - I say No

Votes: 221 16.6%
  • I don't have children - I say yes

Votes: 366 27.4%
  • I don't have children - I say No

Votes: 494 37.0%
  • I am a adult, and I like to be leashed

Votes: 57 4.3%
  • My parents put me on a leash as a child - No

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • My parents put me on a leash as a child - Yes

Votes: 37 2.8%

• Total voters

key

Nov 7, 2017
Shame on the people here labeling anyone who uses this kind of device a "bad parent."

I have a 2yo daughter who is very social, curious, and stubborn. I occasionally use a device like the one pictured in the OP when walking with her. Also, it's very obvious that the people responding, "Just put the kid in a stroller or carry them," have never raised a toddler.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a good idea. I don't use one. I don't fault anyone who does. As a parent you spend an inordinate amount of time keeping your children from killing themselves. Anything that makes that task easier should be encouraged.

You can always just hold your childs hand... seems pretty simple to me. Is this like some sort of "I hate germs" thing where you can't touch your child?

Putting a child on a leash doesn't make parenting "easier" It makes parenting lazier and I think it's a terrible idea but to each their own.

key

Nov 7, 2017
You can always just hold your childs hand... seems pretty simple to me. Is this like some sort of "I hate germs" thing where you can't touch your child?

Putting a child on a leash doesn't make parenting "easier" It makes parenting lazier and I think it's a terrible idea but to each their own.
Have you ever tried to hold the hand of a toddler that has other plans? Sure, you can grip tightly and pull their arm, but then you're risking a nursemaid's elbow situation, which is no fun for anyone.

Oct 30, 2017
i've seen enough wild ass children running around in public that i am in full support of parents using leashes.

to people saying "just hold their hand"...toddlers are exploratory as hell and love tactile shit. holding their hands limits their ability to go and touch shit--a natural part of their development--that you're more likely to induce a tantrum than keep them in order.

you gotta moderate their freedom. a leash gives you more control over allowing some freedom without risking the kid putting themselves in danger.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

So you're against putting up gates in the house to block off rooms and staircases, right? I mean just keep an eye on them and maybe hold their hand so they don't fall down the stairs in the house, right? Don't put locks on the bathroom cabinet or kitchen doors either right? All of that is just demeaning to the kid. Parents must be lazy if they use those tools too.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Don't have kids, but I don't see the problem. I was on a leash as a young child. Apparently I ran off all the damn time and get lost in the crowd until my mom got fed up and put me on a leash. Don't remember it at all and I find the idea of my young self on a leash hilarious.

So yeah, I'm fine with them.

I assume the "no my children aren't pets" crowd doesn't strap their children into strollers? Or put them into (horror of horrors!) playpens? Children aren't caged animals after all. They should be free to explooooooore.

Sep 20, 2020
First and foremost, until you
Of fucking course ERA is filled with judgemental pricks.
1. If you aren't a parent, shut the fuck up
2. If you ARE a parent and is judging other parents for using this, also shut the fuck up

That's great that you, in particular, didn't have the need to use those on your children. A lot of parents can't say the same. I'd love you to tell my 70 year old mother that she's a "psychopath" for using this on my 5 year old special needs niece that completely refuses to hold her hand and loves to run away at full speed anytime she wants. Or my overworked sister trying to take care of two kids and a nephew while walking outside.
"Psychopath", give me a fucking break. ERA should take a hard look at themselves and try to remember what empathy is.

This. All of this.

As a parent you find what works and stick with it (within reason of course). As someone who does a whole load of juvenile behavioral health and used to work in child welfare - the "why" and "how" is far more important than "what". Parenting is not a "one size fits all" despite all the literature and other professionals out there that just want you to buy their books or sell their seminars.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good to know you like the shit on other special needs parents.

I'm the one that said I'm cool with it for other special needs parents. Your the one shitting on me as a special needs parent. Thanks.

No one shit on you. We had a disagreement. Good grief.

You also said "if the kid needs it in a certain environment they probably shouldn't be in that environment" which is why I bolded it. That is NOT the kind of sentiment I expect to see from another special needs parent.

How about we don't attack and assume. I actually know him in real life and his situation. So let's not be a dick just because we are on a gaming forum.

That wasn't an attack. It was super mild.

I made a frankly, POLITE, request to reconsider the position expressed, and no attempt was made to consider where that was coming from.

But now I'm the dick and shitting on someone who doubled down on something that sounded ableist? Sorry, not gonna bow to that one.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one shit on you. We had a disagreement. Good grief.

You also said "if the kid needs it in a certain environment they probably shouldn't be in that environment" which is why I bolded it. That is NOT the kind of sentiment I expect to see from another special needs parent.

That wasn't an attack. It was super mild.

I made a frankly, POLITE, request to reconsider the position expressed, and no attempt was made to consider where that was coming from.

But now I'm the dick and shitting on someone who doubled down on something that sounded ableist? Sorry, not gonna bow to that one.

Dude you literally questioned if I even had a special needs child.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Have you ever spent a lot of time with a Toddler? If so, what do you do when they do not want to hold your hand and are actively trying to get away from you, do you squeeze their hand until it hurts, do you dislocate their shoulder? Imagine the child has behavioral issues, then what?

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dude you literally questioned if I even had a special needs child.

No, I said "it doesn't sound like it." because, and i repeat, that is not the kind of statement I would expect to hear from another special needs parent.

Which yeah, I did make the assumption initially that you didn't have a special needs kid in that first post... because that kinda statement makes it sound like you don't.

edit: and to clarify, when I followed "it doesn't sound like it" with "You really shouldn't stand by that" that was informed by the belief that you were being truthful about having a special needs kid. Because it boggles my mind that it's something a special needs parent would say.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if you have kids or not, but this definitely reads like someone who doesn't. I have an 18 month old daughter, I try to hold her hand a lot when we're walking outside because I don't want her running into danger, but there are plenty of times when she just bolts for no reason, or turns around and runs the other way, or just wants to feel like she has a little independence and can walk on her own.

I don't have a leash currently but I can see why people would use them. Everyone without kids in this thread can't really give an informed opinion because you never know what your kid is going to do until it's happening.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you have kids or not, but this definitely reads like someone who doesn't. I have an 18 month old daughter, I try to hold her hand a lot when we're walking outside because I don't want her running into danger, but there are plenty of times when she just bolts for no reason, or turns around and runs the other way, or just wants to feel like she has a little independence and can walk on her own.
The best reaction is just turning into a noodle the second you hold their hand. Like, great, now I've got a heavy boneless weight that won't move because he doesn't want to hold my hand for no real reason whatsoever except that he's a toddler.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Naw. My daughter isn't a dog. We were able to make sure she understood where to be, rewarded her listening and did the extra leg work to keep an eye on her.

She's much older now and I still have the muscle memory to check on her during regular intervals or if she's being quieter than normal.

buset

Jul 25, 2018
If you feel the need to leash your child, maybe it's not the right environment for the child in the first place. I have also never seen a child on a leash here in the EU. Leashes are used for pets (animals).

I also chuckle at the overly (passive) aggressive people in this thread. Really generates some strong emotions.

I wish everyone a great weekend.

They are pretty common in Sweden, I have seen them in Berlin and such as well and lots of my sons friends parents used them, on their two to three year olds.

I think people here who compare it to shock collars and go on about psychological problems probably don't have kids, and don't really know how a two year old even is. Its also not for a four year old who is a bit more developed and you can communicate with, its a backpack with a rope on it for two year olds, who are super impulsive and dont want to sit in a stroller for more than 30 min at a time.

Have a great weekend!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
If you feel the need to leash your child, maybe it's not the right environment for the child in the first place. I have also never seen a child on a leash here in the EU. Leashes are used for pets (animals).
So a child with poor impulse control shouldn't go to the zoo?

Keep in mind that the reason a parent may be extra cautious is that these are new environments and thus the child doesn't have any practice with them. I can trust my child isn't running into the road near my home because I've been there a lot and he knows the environment, but in a crowded foreign place?

I haven't specially used a leash, but I could imagine a scenario. My son is 2 and a half and almost completely non conversational (he may be on the spectrum). If I had a baby to take care of as well and maybe went on a trip to the zoo with his cousins then it may be a fairly reasonable tool to ensure safety.

buset

Jul 25, 2018
The best reaction is just turning into a noodle the second you hold their hand. Like, great, now I've got a heavy boneless weight that won't move because he doesn't want to hold my hand for no real reason whatsoever except that he's a toddler.

Usually combined with just laying down on the ground, preferably on a crossing on the way to kindergarten in rush hour.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
I'm a parent but I don't care to use a leash. I used to criticize those who did though until my daughter was mobile and now I understand.

Not for me personally, but if it works for someone, then all the better. I know my daughter doesn't let me hold her hand all the time, so a leash would be beneficial.

also, there is no CORRECT way to raise your child not to run off. Children have minds of their own, some obedient, and some more rambunctious. If there was 100% solution on how to rear the perfect behavior, someone would be a trillionaire.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Situational. I can see it being high useful near traffic and dense crowds when kids are young. And it is dependent on the child. Some more tools to control than others.

buset

Jul 25, 2018
Situational. I can see it being high useful near traffic and dense crowds when kids are young. And it is dependent on the child. Some more tools to control than others.

Exactly! I mean, people in this thread seems to think that it is something you put on at the start of the morning and take off at home in the evening. Its not! Of course it is situational; you use it in crowds or while walking streets with heavy traffic etc. Its also for more or less toddlers, not four or five-year olds. I used it a lot last year while out with my then 2 and a half year old, who doesn't want to sit in a stroller for more than say 30 to 45 min, he wants to walk around. Then I had a stroller in one hand and him in the other but the rope on the backpack is a safety net when he inevitably rushes away in a totally different direction into traffic cause he saw a bird at the other side of the road in the park we were going to.

Lile, LOL, its not a 24/7 BDSM lifestyle thing

based goth

Oct 28, 2017
UYqmlZb.png

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like leashing kids... hence my answer. It's option 2. What do you want from me?

Maybe not start with the implication that if you use this tool that you're treating your child like a dog? There's ways to explain why you didn't need such a tool that don't include putting down others who do use it because of their situation and needs. Cuttings this part out of your post " My daughter isn't a dog." makes a big difference in the tone and what you're saying to other people who are reading your post.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The common reponse against is this, since it started with a mangaka drawing her experience using it with her child, and stranger going up to her to scold her for being a bad parent.
She has two children, the eldest like to run off by himself, the younger one stay be her, so she got the leash.

The common response
It's make feel like a pet
It's Inhuman
Hold the hand or use a baby carriage

Still going through the thread but I was going to say, there was this one time in the mall where I was alone with two of my young kids. Both were already walking. I don't remember exactly what happened but for whatever reason at some point they started running in two different directions. I never really used one of those leash backpacks but man I can completely understand why someone would.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
As a parent of a 6 year old who was an ultra hyper 2 year old maniac, it is very stressful. Well now he's 6, and has lot more sense about danger, traffic, etc. When he was 2, it was a workout trying to keep him from just bolting. They do not understand the danger and no matter how much you explain them (sternly or nicely) it won't go through their pea brains. You'd go to kiddie playground and watch him spend an hour going apeshit, but then still have energy for more and doesn't want to leave. I would hold his hand and run/jog with him in places just so he could get his jiggles and wiggles out. However, out of principle (misguided or otherwise), I saw adopting a leash as something of a failure in myself for parenting. So I never did.

Constantly running after the kid was so exhausting. Not just physically but mentally as well, and affects so much of your life and you start dreading going to places, worrying about your kid's behavior, etc. Trust me, it stinks. However, I am perfectly fine if other parents don't want to deal with their psychotic toddlers' added stress and put them on a leash instead. It's better in the end if it protects them, and improves the QoL for the parents, and that's what really matters.

Yup we have a 2-year old boy that is as energetic and hard-headed as you describe. We haven't gotten a leash yet, in part because Covid stopped us from going to many large, public places. But I can't say that I won't in the future, especially with a 6-month old behind him.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not start with the implication that if you use this tool that you're treating your child like a dog? There's ways to explain why you didn't need such a tool that don't include putting down others who do use it because of their situation and needs. Cuttings this part out of your post " My daughter isn't a dog." makes a big difference in the tone and what you're saying to other people who are reading your post.

I'm allowed to have an opinion about how it felt for me as a parent. She had a cute little monkey backpack with a long tail acting as a leash. When we tried it on her we didn't like it, it felt how it felt.

Other people can like it as a tool all they want. That's their choice not mine. I answered how it felt from my perspective.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm allowed to have an opinion about how it felt for me as a parent. She had a cute little monkey backpack with a long tail acting as a leash. When we tried it on her we didn't like it, it felt how it felt.

Other people can like it as a tool all they want. That's their choice not mine. I answered how it felt from my perspective.

You're allowed to post however you feel like, but I'm not the only one who called you out on what you said. So have some understanding on why what you said is causing a reaction especially in the context of the thread where it's not the first time people have said such a thing and look down on others by claiming that you're treating your child like a dog by using such a tool.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
If a parent feels their child needs to be leashed, then please do so. My boys didn't but I've had a few instances where, the second you look away, they're getting into trouble. I can only imagine how it would be with a child that was more inclined to run off. Kids vary, you might be able tell one child not to run off and they listen, or you could have a child like me who had zero fucks to give about any of that and was routinely getting lost in stores and malls (also hit by a car).

Do what you think is safest.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've always viewed them as training wheels. They're too old to be sitting in a stroller and have too much curiosity, but aren't old enough to be trusted to do their own thing.

You do you.
This, I'd rather my kids be walking around than pushed around in a stroller when they're able to walk around.

Father of a 3yo who freaks out with joy every time he sees a bus, and a 5yo who is a non-verbal autistic flight risk.

Absolutely use backpacks to with straps (I believe we still call them reigns).

They both love wearing them. We have spares and snacks in them too, so they feel like they're joining in and helping.

Backpack goes on, hand gets held, and we're off. The strap is on our wrists, and don't get utilised unless they let go of our hands.

I absolutely give zero fucks what anyone else thinks when they see us.
Same. We used a harness for my youngest because on a couple occasions she thought it was hilarious to run away from her mom into traffic while she was packing up books. 99.99% of the people that see my kid on a leash are people I'll never again see so who the fuck cares what they think. It was one of those backpack ones and she loved filling it up just like her big sister. She was great with it.

Have you ever spent a lot of time with a Toddler? If so, what do you do when they do not want to hold your hand and are actively trying to get away from you, do you squeeze their hand until it hurts, do you dislocate their shoulder? Imagine the child has behavioral issues, then what?
And also this. My youngest would go out of her way to twist and pull away from a hand hold no matter what damage it did to her. Carrying often led to similar results where she'd try to get down even if it would mean landing on her head. Fuck that I'll take the leash over an ER visit any day.

E: also forgot I'd rather the dumb ass looks from people judging me for leashing than the time I had the cops called on me because I was trying to keep my daughter from running away from me because I wouldn't let her play on the coin-op space ship..

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Why specifically is this a thing for pets and not kids? People keep posting stuff like this without any logic behind it. I have a staircase in my house, ill be fencing it off to prevent my kids getting into to it much like I fence off areas of my yard from my dog. Does that mean I'm treating my child like a pet?

Ultimately just like pets kids aren't necessarily aware of things that are dangerous and don't always follow instructions so it seems reasonable that there may be some overlap between the 2. That doesn't mean you're treating your child like a pet.

This is a good take too. We do lots of things for really little kids that we don't consider demeaning: fence off areas, put covers on wall sockets, put them in diapers, put them in cribs/cages. I'm curious where the studies are about psychological damage done to these kids by the leashes, considering all the opinions here about how terrible they are for kids.

I watched two episodes of Bluey recently (an excellent show aimed at kids, where everyone is, apropos to this subject, actually dogs):

In one, the dad is reading some new age book about letting your kids define boundaries. It's time for them to get out of the bath and he tries and tries and tries to get them to come to that conclusion themselves using reason, and they're having none of it, they want to stay in the bath. In the end he just tells them what to do and they do it, and the book is in the trash. That's not to say that all these techniques are ineffective but that kids are different and there are many different, valid ways to raise your kid.

In another, the mom is recounting how Bluey (their firstborn) as a baby started crawling. She was in a moms group and was so proud that Bluey was the first in the group to sit up. But then Bluey was way behind the others in learning to crawl, to stand up, and to walk, to the point that the mom left the group because she felt like a failure. Another mom comes over to check in on her and reveals that this is her 9th kid, and she knows how hard it is especially the first time, and most importantly tells Bluey's mom that she's doing a great job.

But I guess parenting is similar to how everyone thinks they are a great driver and everyone else around them is below average/terrible.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Honestly whatever keeps other peoples kids away from me or from running around annoying everyone else is good with me. I'm no fan of children though.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have any kids, but my experience working at Disneyland has really warmed me up to the idea of these things in super crowded/high energy places where small kids and parents can get easily separated or lost in a blink of an eye.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
I say yes. I was a lease baby because I was a terrible kid that likes to run off and explore on my own and would actually fight my mom when she would try to hold my hand or carry me.