• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 5, 2018
This is a little game announcement that has certainly gotten my attention. This new game is called Chicory: A Colorful Tale. It is a brand new indie adventure game that has you playing as this painting dog who is the biggest fan of Chicory the Hare who happens to be the most famous artist in this game's world. Then one day all of the color in your world has vanished, and so has Chicory. Now you happen to find Chicory's famous paint brush and use this brush to bring color back to your world as well as solve puzzles and complete side missions. It has definitely gotten my attention because the lead designer for Chicory is Greg Lobanov, who designed the most underrated game of 2018 Wandersong (and its also one of my favorites from that year too). Wait sparked my interest more is that Lena Raine, who is known for her excellent musical work in Celeste and Guild Wars 2, is going to be the main composer for the game's soundtrack. There are 3 other people involved with the project and they are sound designer Em Halberstadt (Night in the Woods, Wandersong, Untitled Goose Game), character artist Alexis Dean-Jones and environment artist Madeline Berger.

Here's the link to the Kickstarter page if you would like to back Chicory: A Colorful Tale (its already more than halfway complete towards its goal)

Here's the kickstarter announcement trailer:

And if anyone wants to know more info about the game, I'll quote a few statements from Chicory's Campaign page:
Chicory: A Colorful Tale is an adventure game about a dog wielding a magic paintbrush! Use the power of art to explore, solve puzzles, help your animal friends and restore color to the world.

The Brush is a one-of-a-kind artifact that can color the world. Naturally, it needs a wielder, a master artist responsible for all colors and for passing the brush down. The current wielder, Chicory, is immensely talented and beloved by all... until all the color in the land vanishes, and her with it! I guess that leaves it up to you, her number one fan, to take up the brush and fill in for her. Hmm... good luck!

• Explore the Picnic Province, and draw on anything!
  • Manipulate the environment with your paint and solve puzzles!
  • Unlock new paint abilities and use them to reach new places!
  • Collectible clothes, plants and furniture to dress your character and the world how you want!
Best of luck to the team with the Kickstarter campaign. I'll definitely back this!

*I just saw that in the thread title I misspelled the game's title as Chicory: A Colorful Tail instead of A Colorful Tale. Oops.

Last edited:

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I love the creators but am somewhat disappointed to see no mention of console (i.e. Nintendo Switch) support or stretch-goals. I don't game on PC so a digital code will do me no good.

I understand that game development is fraught with risk & the developers don't even have a clear time-frame for release. It makes sense they would deem it too early to expand beyond a promised PC release but heck...I can't justify backing the project if I can't play the game when it releases.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Wandersong was a great surprise, one of the games I've enjoyed playing most this year. I'll happily support their next thing.

desmondcs

Banned
May 9, 2018
Michigan
I backed it for the sake of getting more chill & cute games out in the world. Hoping console stretch goals are announced at some point.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Members of the press were given a 40-minute demo to sample before the KS announcement. I can confirm that there's already a lot of good stuff that's playable in this demo, which serves as a tutorial. It revolves around the cool mechanic of painting and erasing anything in the world by using either a joystick or mouse to paint any visible spot on screen, regardless of where your character stands.

OP
OP
ScreamingMadden
May 5, 2018
Great news everyone! Chicory just met its $30,000 goal and has successfully funded! Man I can't wait for this to come out in 2021. It has a great gameplay premise and the characters already seem as charming as the Wandersong cast!

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
The demo was awesome. I really hope it's released to backers before the end of the campaign because more people need to play this. I loved it to bits and backed the campaign yesterday.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Backed the moment I saw it go live. Really excited to see it met its goal already, but I definitely hope it continues to push past it; curious to see how the "no stretch goals, just more funding" approach affects the backing trend across the campaign.

(also: hey you should play wandersong)

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Backed the moment I saw it go live. Really excited to see it met its goal already, but I definitely hope it continues to push past it; curious to see how the "no stretch goals, just more funding" approach affects the backing trend across the campaign.

(also: hey you should play wandersong)
oh geez i somehow missed this when reading the KS page yesterday... I think this is great though, I never really liked stretch goals and figured it be better for Devs to work on whats best for the game then adding something that might not be all that great, just because they promised it(possibly several years ago). Though they extra cash it likely generates is hard to argue with.

unfortunately for me, I'm hesitent to pledge since I am currently unemployed. perhaps i'll go back and actually finish wandersong(which i did kickstart) and see if that convinces me.

OP
OP
ScreamingMadden
May 5, 2018
Bumping this thread to update that this Chicory has now been funded for over $60,000, a little more than twice the amount of their goal! Plus they still have 15 days left for more backers! Makes me really happy they this Kickstarter campaign has become widely successful!

Also Greg Lobanov and team are gonna be at PAX West with a demo for Chicory and a Giant Drawable Wall: