• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone compartmentalizes, allows some amount of easily avoidable poison into their lives, and there is no single unifying force that has everyone with a progressive bent organizing their lives in such a way as to make exactly the same sacrifices
I think the idea of compartmentalization and the inability to consume ethically loses some water for the parties affected by terrible corporations when those corporations show their hand. The pipeline of most businesses' production and revenue streams aren't transparent, which at some degree leaves people less equipped to make responsible "choices" (however much "choice" you can have for ethical consumption in a capitalistic system.) But Chick-fil-A is openly saying "We donate to anti-LGBT groups because fuck gay people." They're... not shy about it. So the choice of supporting them is more transparent.

There's also an issue of projection on my part. If they were donating to Blue Lives Matter groups I would be livid with anyone who claims to be an ally compartmentalizing on what is basically a slam-dunk case for a boycott. I would think if "my side" can easily shrug and compromise my quality of life on a chicken restaurant I'm fucked (foregoing the fact that I already think America is fucked in regards to racial issues.)

And I understand I undoubtedly purchase things that are harmful to the world because I don't think you can be a perfectly ethical consumer in a system inexplicably tied to deadly exploitation of human beings to service its existence. But I don't think that reality means choices completely lose context and the ability to sit on a scale of morality. The answer to "Why do progressives who claim to support LGBT rights give money to an openly anti-LGBT organization?" is not "Well, you own a phone."

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Just realized the OG asshole ceo died a few years ago. Now it's time for his son.

I don't think they care who shops at their store as long as they get their money. I've gone in the past with satanic symbols on my clothes.

Because most of the employees wouldn't back what the private family owners they have never met do at the top.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I've only had it once, at a work function, because our (former) secretary who ordered catering was a brain dead Fox News parrot. It's just Wendys chicken nuggets from the 1980s. I don't get the hubbub.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
All Chik Fil A by me have lines that wrap around the building. It's insane. That place gets so much business.

Same. It absolutely dominates the near by competitors constantly. I was at the airport recently with one. The line was probably 50 people long. All other lines in the food court about 10 people.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/3/21/18275850/chick-fil-a-anti-lgbtq-donations From 2 months ago btw
The Chick-fil-A Foundation donated more than $1.8 million to three groups with a history of anti-LGBTQ discrimination in 2017, according to recently released tax filings analyzed by ThinkProgress. That year, Chick-fil-A's charitable arm gave $1,653,416 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, a religious organization that requires its employees to refrain from "homosexual acts"; $150,000 to the Salvation Army, which has been accused of anti-LGBTQ discrimination and advocacy for years and whose media relations director once claimed gay people "deserve death"; and $6,000 to the Paul Anderson Youth Home, a Christian residential home that teaches young boys that same-sex marriage is a "rage against Jesus Christ and His values."

If you can still regularly support them after they've made this as abundantly clear as it's been laid out, it's quite simple: you don't really care about queer people. What happens to us, whether we live or die, is at best a pick-and-choose situation for you, at worst utterly irrelevant. We do not matter to you

And frankly you don't matter to us anymore either. You sure ain't an ally of mine. I don't need or want your support or presence, in my life or in my matters, if you're going to so casually show how good you really are at stabbing us in the fucking spine the first time your wallet has to choose between us and your taste buds

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You're supporting a business that openly and actively harms the LGBT community. If you're ok with that then fine, but you should understand and accept the criticism and using your daughter as some sort of moral shield is not a good look if you're trying to "shut down the haters". Is it the worst thing you could do? No. Does it make you a bad person? Probably not. Is it still ethically acceptable? Not really. We all do things that are unethical including supporting businesses that do evil things with the money we give them. But like I said, understand the criticism at least.

It's obviously not the same since part of the point of chic-fil-a is the convenience of getting fast food, but there are tons of recipes online that tell you how to recreate all their food for anybody who (like myself) enjoys the food but doesn't want to support the business.

I thought the exact same thing when reading that post.

Oct 25, 2017
A Chick-fil-A opened near me recently. I decided to try it the other day as I never had it before. And yes I knew about their anti-LGBT stances, I mostly did it to support the employees.
Very very overrated. I've had way better chicken and fries at other places.
Baffling that people crow about their fries being the best. Hell, the Chick-fil-A is in the proximity of a Five Guys. Way better fries there.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Something something no ethical consumption under capitalism something something

Yay, I'm excused

I've never had Chick-fil-A, and I don't feel like ever trying it.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
You're supporting a business that openly and actively harms the LGBT community. If you're ok with that then fine, but you should understand and accept the criticism and using your daughter as some sort of moral shield is not a good look if you're trying to "shut down the haters". Is it the worst thing you could do? No. Does it make you a bad person? Probably not. Is it still ethically acceptable? Not really. We all do things that are unethical including supporting businesses that do evil things with the money we give them. But like I said, understand the criticism at least.

It's obviously not the same since part of the point of chic-fil-a is the convenience of getting fast food, but there are tons of recipes online that tell you how to recreate all their food for anybody who (like myself) enjoys the food but doesn't want to support the business.

I appreciate the post.
I certainly don't support CFA's business decisions. I support the people on the ground level of this location for busting their butts to make this a wonderful experience. Also, for what it's worth (nothing), the only purchase I make is a milkshake for the kid (occasionally, based on the manager on duty, it's even free). I know... the size of the purchase doesn't matter... but the employees, managers, convenience, pleasantry, and overall care of this particular location makes it easy to return to. This could be the case for other people, too.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I give serious side-eye to people who eat at Chik-Fil-A. I get that there's no ethical consumption blahblahblah but Jesus, it's a fast food restaurant. What's stopping you from just going to fucking Arbys or something? "Oh, but it tastes so good!" People who have such limited impulse control that they can't even successfully boycott a damn fast food restaurant are concerning to me. It's not like it's Walmart or something where the low prices, convenience of items, etc means that many people need to shop there to live within their means.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the post.
I certainly don't support CFA's business decisions. I support the people on the ground level of this location for busting their butts to make this a wonderful experience. Also, for what it's worth (nothing), the only purchase I make is a milkshake for the kid (occasionally, based on the manager on duty, it's even free). I know... the size of the purchase doesn't matter... but the employees, managers, convenience, pleasantry, and overall care of this particular location makes it easy to return to. This could be the case for other people, too.

You can say you don't support their decisions but you still give them money. Like I'm sorry, but this is just to try to make yourself feel better for your choices. Buy the ingredients you need and go make the milkshakes for your daughter at home, or drive a little more to some other places that can make milkshakes your daughter can have.

Actions speak louder than words.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who buys from them are contributing to this shit, hope your proud of that.

Yeah, exactly.

I know Era users like to dismiss shit like this because my games, movies or chicken sandwiches though.

Listen, if you say you're an ally but continue to eat at Chick-Fil-a you're an asshole, plain and simple. And don't call yourself an ally, because it's bullshit.

Almost everyone I know votes in favor of LGBT rights but loves chick fil-a. There is no way they'll give it up.

Fuck those people, they might as well vote republican.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why the Fuck can't they just stfu about it? I'm certain lots of business owners have shitty opinions but they don't go spout off about them every chance they get. They're making it easy for ppl to eat elsewhere

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Why the Fuck can't they just stfu about it? I'm certain lots of business owners have shitty opinions but they don't go spout off about them every chance they get. They're making it easy for ppl to eat elsewhere
Yeah right, people won't eat other places. Fuck, people in this thread,a forum that prouds itself on being progressive, people are going "sure they do bad things, but it's tasty". The LGBTQ+ community continues to get fucked over publicly and not even trying to hide it from governments and private companies in the US and "allies" continue to look the other way for "reasons"

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the Fuck can't they just stfu about it?

Because it doesn't hurt them at all. Not only do "moderates" have no qualms about continuing to eat there, but apparently neither do enormous numbers of self-professed liberals and queer allies.

The reality is that every effort to boycott Chik-Fil-A over the last few years has been an embarrassing failure because apparently large amounts of the progressive movement "lik chiken" too much to actually stop patronizing what might be the most aggressively homophobic major corporation in America.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ppl that agree only get more enthusiastic about their purchases, and they know 99% of the people who complain online still are going to eat from them anyways, because none of their woke friends know they did.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
not going to a particular fast food chain is like the easiest action one could do but I guess even that's too much for some "allies"

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get why some otherwise progressive people keep eating there despite this being out there. It's so easy to just not go there.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Every time a boycott Chickfila thread pops up there is always one poster that can't help themselves but tell us they don't care and will still continue eating their food. It's so obvious what their agenda is.
Reminds me of the Chef Goes Nanners episode. "The Flag is racist, BUT, it IS history!", "The flag's our town's HISTORY, but, I can see how it's racist.", "Well, I think they are racist, but I DO think Freedom of Speech is important.", "Well I for one, believe in Freedom of Speech, but then again, I think they are racists...", then Chef busts in saying, "To hell with all of you indecisive bastards!!!"

"Chick-fil-A is soooo yummy, but they are anti-LGBTQ...", "It's horrible that Chick-fil-A are anti-LGBTQ, but their food is soooo yummy!". Yeah, I'm with Chef on this one, to HELL with this indecisive bastards!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the Chef Goes Nanners episode. "The Flag is racist, BUT, it IS history!", "The flag's our town's HISTORY, but, I can see how it's racist.", "Well, I think they are racist, but I DO think Freedom of Speech is important.", "Well I for one, believe in Freedom of Speech, but then again, I think they are racists...", then Chef busts in saying, "To hell with all of you indecisive bastards!!!"

"Chick-fil-A is soooo yummy, but they are anti-LGBTQ...", "It's horrible that Chick-fil-A are anti-LGBTQ, but their food is soooo yummy!". Yeah, I'm with Chef on this one, to HELL with this indecisive bastards!
It's just sad how easy it is for some people to turn on the lgtbq+ community for fucking fast food chicken

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the post.
It's another one of the frustrations of the paradox of chic-fil-a for me. Here in Austin they actually pay their employees pretty well, everyone starts off at $14 dollars an hour which is great for entry level food service positions. Of course it's pathetic compared to what the would make if wages in general haven't stagnated for decades but it's a step in the right direction and is higher than their competitors for sure.

But still, it's important to be aware. It's a cliche to say but it's true, there's (very little) ethical consumption under capitalism. If you live in America it's very hard to avoid funding evil business practices, hell just look at the gigantic web of companies that all connect back to Nestle, one of the most dystopic evil companies of them all and it's practically gauranteed that everyone in this thread has purchased products under that banner at some point in their lives. We all (mostly unwittingly) have blood on our hands to some degree, the best you can do is to be aware and try to make better choices with your money where and when you can.

Like I said, eating chic-fil-a doesn't make you a bad person, but it is a fact that your money is supporting harmful practices (to put it lightly), and it's up to you to contend with that. If it bothers you, consider alternative options because you do have them.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What sucks in my neck of the woods is that, as far as customer service (the teens and managers that work at CFA), there is no one even close: nice, fast, and proficient. They never screw up an order and always at least pretend to give a shit. They even go above and beyond, but I'll get to that in a minute. Every other fast food place around here has grumpy, miserable workers that are constantly fucking orders up. McDs, Wendy's, BK, Hardee's, KFC, you name it.

My daughter, who has pretty severe special needs, loves CFA's milkshakes, so at the end of the week I'll take her to get one as a treat and these kids that work there go out of their way to make that one tiny moment of her day exciting.
I apologize for going off on anecdote here, but it would be much easier for ME to boycott them if their service was shitty and this special little child, whose life is challenging and painful every single day of her life, didn't receive this kind of joy from this specific location.

So, according to some posters here, fuck me I guess.
How hard is it to make your own milkshake? Too much effort, sorry LGBT+ folks

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't understand why the company open that they're anti lgbt rights ?
It's pretty much bad look for them and ruined bussiness.

The unfortunate thing is since the original news broke out like 5 or so years ago, their brand continued to not only thrive, but grow. In their eyes, there's no need to reassess their stance since the public was by and large apathetic to where their money was going.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
As usual, fuck Chick Fila. Tried it once years ago just to see why people go nuts for it and it's a chicken sandwich. There's nothing special about it and would never support a business like this. (like fuck Hobby Lobby too).

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A quick reminder that this is a thread specifically about CFA's bigotry, and some posters still go out of their way to point out that they give the company money, as if to rub it in

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A quick reminder that this is a thread specifically about CFA's bigotry, and some posters still go out of their way to point out that they give the company money, as if to rub it in

Crazy how people get banned for watching Joe Rogan but don't get banned for admitting to supporting ant-lgbt+ groups

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Never ate there and don't ever plan to. Not much of a protest, especially in NYC where it's pitifully easy to find better food, but it is what it is.

It's a stark example of the flip side of the woke capitalism coin.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean I know members of the LGBTQ community that work for Chic-fil-A. They pay very well, the food is good and down south not eating Chic-fil-A is an anomaly. Plus most of these places are franchised, with their own spin. Corporate is fucking over their work force with this shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Highly suggest these as an alternative,cook n toss in a spice blend of your choice. Juicy,crispy and just plain tasty.

aeded757f676e9ebc80368ea04fff0ed.jpeg

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honest question - are there any major Christian charities that do not or have not had any related figure or literature decry homosexuality?

I suppose my question is this - is it possible to support Christian charities without supporting anti LGBTQ initiatives?

Because the Salvation Army and Fellowship of Christian Athletes aren't exactly considered radical organizations by the general public. Right?

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that otherwise progressively-minded people are just now coming around to not supporting them anymore- or even continue to support them in private- is just baffling.

I think they just don't care to be honest. I told this story back on Gaf and is kind of long but long story short back when I was stationed in Germany I met and got cool with a group of gay guys while I was covering for a secretly gay soldier. While I wasn't gay myself I use to go hang out with them at gay clubs/bars because the soldier I was covering for always asked me to hang until he felt comfortable and gave me the signal he was good. And eventually the soldier met his future partner and I wasn't needed to watch over him because he was in a good place at that time. So I moved on with my life.

Now to on topic

Fast forward to about 8 months ago where the soldier, his current boyfriend, and a few of the German gay men I met back then were vacationing in the state I live in so I went to meet up with them and hang out for a couple hours. We met up at the Mall of Louisiana and got lunch there. They ate at the Chick Fil A and while they were in line waiting to order I told them about the company stance and action and that there was a raising canes right across the food court and they said they don't care that they just wanted good chicken to eat. I simply said ok and went to the Japanese stir fry place, ate, and said my good buys mainly because I had to pick up my daughter from school.

I was kind of surprised by their initial reaction considering all the work they do but at the same time I think I understood their mindset. It felt like they just wanted to put the BS out of their mind and enjoy their vacation.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question - are there any major Christian charities that do not or have not had any related figure or literature decry homosexuality?

I suppose my question is this - is it possible to support Christian charities without supporting anti LGBTQ initiatives?

Because the Salvation Army and Fellowship of Christian Athletes aren't exactly considered radical organizations by the general public. Right?

You'll have better luck supporting local churches and religious centers that don't discriminate. Disciples of Christ, unitarians, that kind of thing.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You'll have better luck supporting local churches and religious centers that don't discriminate. Disciples of Christ, unitarians, that kind of thing.

Is that really feasible for a someone wanting to donate large sums of money to a faith based charity?

I'm not trying to defend Chic Fil A. Just trying to understand if it's possible to send large sums to a faith based charity without it being possible to be contributing to anti LGBTQ initiatives.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The general public is pretty okay with the efforts that these two organizations put in, but that kind of just speaks about the inherent issues within our society and what the majority are willing to overlook. If we take a look at the Salvation Army, they have a history of turning transgender people away from their shelters, advocating against LGBT rights, and as recently as 2013 they were referring people to conversion therapy.

If you genuinely can't find a faith-based charity to donate to that doesn't do all of the above, then just donate to a different charity. The rights and safety of LGBT people matter

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Concern trolling, antagonizing other members, history of similar infractions
Anytime a few people agree, we get this dumb ass take. If all some of you have to constantly contribute is era is a bubble, then you're a knucklehead. Disagree with people here all the time, but I'm not a jackass about it, so I have little issue. It's a progressive site, so you'll see more progresssive opinions in general, simple as that.

If someone is discriminating against a group of people, then yeah, many will have a problem with that. Honestly, it shouldn't take much convincing that chik fila is wrong to support these causes. It's just rich to see you coming in with this bubble shit when chik filas reason for supporting these groups is based on their connection biggest racket and hive mind around (Christianity) that is actively forcing their backwards beliefs on us daily basis through government, but the real problem are the posters on a random forum though, eh?

It's good stuff. Tastes just as good imo. Use this recipe, though mine used two cups of water and about a jar of pickle juice(pickles removed ofc).

https://snapguide.com/guides/make-chick-fil-a-chicken-nuggets-at-home/
Bru go back and look at the first few posts. It immediately becomes fuck anyone who goes there and I look down upon anyone who goes there. What if someone didn't know about these issues? What do these posts really accomplish? Imagine someone not knowing and just being bombarded with fuck you and I look down upon you. Call me a knucklehead all you want. Your opinion doesn't make you better then other people who may not know about every issue with a specific company, yet some of you on here act like it.