• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Chick-fil-A is responding to the backlash from their continued support of anti-LGBT charities.

From the Think Progress summary:
The head of Chick-fil-A's tax-exempt foundation addressed the growing backlash against its continued giving to anti-LGBTQ organizations on Wednesday, telling Business Insider that it does not intend to change its ways. He dismissed concerns about the Chick-fil-A Foundation giving millions to organizations that discriminate as an unimportant "political or cultural war that's being waged."

ThinkProgress reported in March that the Chick-fil-A Foundation distributed $1.8 million in 2017 to non-profits with a history of anti-LGBTQ discrimination — contrary to repeated promises that it was winding down its giving to groups that discriminate. This included more than $1.6 million in contributions to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, a religious group that works to spread an anti-LGBTQ message to college athletes, requiring a strict "sexual purity" policy for its employees that bars any "homosexual acts."

From Business Insider:
"The calling for us is to ensure that we are relevant and impactful in the community, and that we're helping children and that we're helping them to be everything that they can be," Bullard said.

"For us, that's a much higher calling than any political or cultural war that's being waged," he continued. "This is really about an authentic problem that is on the ground, that is present and ever present in the lives of many children who can't help themselves."

Chick-fil-A's perspective on its charitable donations is that they go towards specific programs that help all children, not any specific religious group. Under Bullard, Chick-fil-A has focused on low-income youth and economic inequality, with Bullard citing a statistic that a child born into poverty in Atlanta has just a 4% chance of achieving self-sufficient wealth.
"Regardless of where you may find yourself on any particular issue, this is our collective problem and that we all can be a part of the solution. ... We all should join together and be a part of the solution," Bullard said.

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes has been criticized for its "purity pledge" — a vow to avoid "heterosexual sex outside of marriage nor any homosexual act" that leaders in the organization are required to sign. The organization's statement of faith reads, in part: "We believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one man and one woman."

https://www.businessinsider.com/chick-fil-a-explains-donations-groups-considered-anti-gay-2019-5

https://thinkprogress.org/chick-fil...q-giving-part-of-higher-calling-ed7076fadafd/

The TLDR is, still homophobic, still unapologetic and awful. To no ones surprise.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
But... mmm, those chicken minis. Am I doing it right?

Fuck them and the people who buy their lousy overpriced chicken.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
But they make mediocre chicken sandwiches, which are just barely better than the mchicken, so fuck LGBTQ people, amirite?!

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty horrific the way that they're just completely willing to overlook any potential negatives about the places that they donate to.

"The intent is not to try to have kids conduct their lives according to the FCA code. The intent is to expose them to all of the gateway to college exposure in sports as role models, all of that," Carrie Kurlander, Chick-fil-A's vice president of external communications, said to Business Insider. "So, we actually had a conversation two years ago about this very thing and said, 'Alright, we're probably going to get dinged. But the impact is real and authentic.' And so, there was a judgment call."

Bullard added: "No child was thinking anything about a purity clause or anything other than sports exposure in college."

You can't divorce these companies from the open discrimination that they practice. Finding out that the role models that you look up to are a part of an organisation that wants you to have less rights than them does have an impact on children and teenagers.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just can't anymore. As a recently married gay man who has loved CFA food, I can find alternatives that aren't as expensive and don't oppress a community I love with bullshit hateful rhetoric like FCA

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that otherwise progressively-minded people are just now coming around to not supporting them anymore- or even continue to support them in private- is just baffling.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see so many people go "Yeah but the food is good so I don't care."

Its depressing.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I live in the USF area of Tampa. There are 3 chick FIL as within 5 miles of each other.

They are always so busy that they have a line around their entire restaurant in the drive thru. Till closing. All of them are next to other restaurants and fast food places that get a third of the same business.

I shaken my head everytime I go by them.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
All Chik Fil A by me have lines that wrap around the building. It's insane. That place gets so much business.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Yeah, there's still people even on this board that act like they cannot help themselves but buy their food. Chick-fil-A is the Papa Johns of chicken. They needed to be boycotted the day before YESTERDAY.
Every time a boycott Chickfila thread pops up there is always one poster that can't help themselves but tell us they don't care and will still continue eating their food. It's so obvious what their agenda is.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's been tough trying to get my parents & girlfriend to stop getting food from Chick-Fil-A. I've stopped giving them my money a good long while ago, but now the real challenge is those close to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I had written them off and then was sort of coming back around due to news that they had backed down, but now I'm firmly back in the fuck chick-fil-a camp.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean anyone pretending their sandwiches aren't fucking amazing are lying to themselves. That said, they are horrible people and I can get a chicken sandwich that is 80% as good from Sonic so fuck them. I don't need a bomb piece of chicken enough to support that kind of behavior.

Sadly every time I drive past CFA there are literally 30 cars in line at their double wide drive through.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of people are woke on era or Twitter, but still buy or support what they want when there is nobody looking. Its human nature

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Honesty they're kind of expensive considering the tiny sandwich and the fact that they give you exactly 8 fries. I haven't eaten there in a couple months after realizing how stingy they are.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Fuck Chic-fil-a. But what is depressing is the one by my house is usually packed, especially 5-7 in the evening. That place causes traffic jams in the parking for the surrounding stores most of the time. Apparently business is great for them.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of people are woke on era or Twitter, but still buy or support what they want when there is nobody looking. Its human nature

What if I told you that sad and cynical outlook contributed to that? There is always an opportunity to change hearts and minds and it can start by individually making a choice for yourself.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Better than Chik fil A in everyway except maybe milkshakes, and Im not just saying that 'cause of the anti-gay agenda.
And I'm still mad because they would have been the one thing that could sway my parents away from Chick-Fil-A if they just stayed open in my area. Now PDQ is 20+ minutes away.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Sure they're using the money I'm giving them to aid the oppression and eradication of LGBT people, but their chicken is pretty good."

We as a society need to have a serious conversation about our relationship with consumerism. While there is no ethical consumable under capitalism, that doesn't mean each consumable is equal. Both what the fossil fuel industry and Chick-fil-A are doing is immoral, but one consumable is more of a necessity than the other. It's really easy to stop eating at a restaurant that uses its profits to ensure the continue oppression and murder of LGBT people than it is to stop using fossil fuels that damages the environment and funds a lot of horrible people and ideologies. If you truly are liberal and 'woke' and have morals, it's not hard to stop giving your money to a company like Chick-fil-A to send them a message.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I mean anyone pretending their sandwiches aren't fucking amazing are lying to themselves. That said, they are horrible people and I can get a chicken sandwich that is 80% as good from Sonic so fuck them. I don't need a bomb piece of chicken enough to support that kind of behavior.

Sadly every time I drive past CFA there are literally 30 cars in line at their double wide drive through.

Hi. I legitimately don't think they're that great, and certainly not worth the price....violating the human rights of LGBTQ people. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oh dayum! The closest one to me is 19 miles away. I might go one day
Dont wanna overhype it like it's the godtier fast food chicken, but it's all around been better than most other chicken based fast food joints Ive been too. Definitely should give it a shot.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
And I'm still mad because they would have been the one thing that could sway my parents away from Chick-Fil-A if they just stayed open in my area. Now PDQ is 20+ minutes away.
That sucks, havent heard of one closing yet. The closest one to me was 45 minutes for a few years but they finally built one 10 minutes away like 4 months ago, it's been a godsend.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if I told you that sad and cynical outlook contributed to that? There is always an opportunity to change hearts and minds and it can start by individually making a choice for yourself.
giphy.gif

Y'all are just preaching to the choir in this thread. People come into these types of threads for validation and commendation of their efforts. I try dont think anyone is being won over, because the people who dont really care aren't posting an opinion that would get people to turn on them

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Almost everyone I know votes in favor of LGBT rights but loves chick fil-a. There is no way they'll give it up.

wxMak

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been there in a while...certainly not going back now. Chicken may be good but nah they don't wanna change so they don't get my money.