• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
they should have come up with a facial justification for banning chik fil a that can't be turned into a religious animus argument

just to clarify -- I am NOT on chick-fil-a's side here

but under 1st amendment doctrine chick-fil-a has a pretty strong case of "you, a government actor, have barred me from something solely because of my religious beliefs"

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
they should have come up with a facial justification for banning chik fil a that can't be turned into a religious animus argument

just to clarify -- I am NOT on chick-fil-a's side here

but under 1st amendment doctrine chick-fil-a has a pretty strong case of "you, a government actor, have barred me from something solely because of my religious beliefs"
I'm pretty sure that as a country, we've found that when you're rights encroach on someone else's, you're in the wrong.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that as a country, we've found that when you're rights encroach on someone else's, you're in the wrong.

I wish that was the doctrine

but we live in a country where SCOTUS said that even corporations can make claims of religious belief and subsequently deny certain means of contraceptive care

it would be one thing if chick-fil-a was banning LGBTQ from its premises. but it's not. san antonio is banning them solely over the views expressed through donations resulting from their profits (which are abhorrent, but the distinction matters)

May 10, 2018
It's not hard to see why CFA is popular. Even if you don't think the food is all that great, the service really sets it apart.

There have been a few occasions where the person behind the counter was handing me my food before I had even paid for it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I don't see you could legally prove that Chick-fil-A is encroaching on anyone's rights by giving money to charities.

If the airport was privately owned I don't think they would have a problem, but if it's owned by the city, county, or state they may face some challenges.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
what

idk how you can see that sign and think it's an official Chick Fil A sign. I know they are questionable at best in regards to LGBTQ+ issues but there is no way a major corporation is using anything that on the nose.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Marco Rubio messaged people to eat as much Chick fil-A as possible to support the conservative cause?

That was funny.

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I hear, but the chicken is good!
your-fucking-supreme-dj-franzia-hawillisdc-its-easy-to-read-38591331.png

I feel the same when people talk about how great Reddit is.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah two things can be true: their food tastes amazing and they are wrong for donating to anit-LGBTQ groups.

I wouldnt say it tastes bad, but I heard it be hyped to high heaven, so when I was in Florida (as a Canadian) and I dived into a Chick Fil A, I was very underwhelmed. It was absolutely not special at all, literally any chicken place can do better, so no it was not "amazing" because it fails to amaze. In general, this forum tends to overhype basic fast food fare. I blame Xia.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't eaten there in a long time, and don't feel the need to. Just makes me wish Zaxbys goes nationwide.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
been boycotting this shit since the first info about their bigotry came out. that was what, seven years ago? more?

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's weird, the only people I know personally who actually boycott CFA are straight allies. All my LGBTQ friends who go to it just make jokes about the chicken itself being homophobic.

I don't go to it myself, though, as a pan guy. They clearly don't want my business. So, fuck em.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's weird, the only people I know personally who actually boycott CFA are straight allies. All my LGBTQ friends who go to it just make jokes about the chicken itself being homophobic.

I don't go to it myself, though, as a pan guy. They clearly don't want my business. So, fuck em.

I do wonder the rationale of those who are LGBTQ who do go to Chik Fil A, I'm guessing the same as non LGBTQ?

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I do wonder the rationale of those who are LGBTQ who do go to Chik Fil A, I'm guessing the same as non LGBTQ?
Yeah, basically "it tastes good, and everything is immoral to some extent under capitalism, so fuck it" is what I understand. They're free to give their money to such a corporation, I guess, no judgement, I just want no part of that.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think chick fil a has done anything wrong, I think the airport is in the wrong for blocking them.

Thank you for your moral support to the cause of combating equal rights for queer people, and financially bolstering organizations that are exclusionary towards LGBT+ people.
Us filthy queers should get bent, we're not human, after all.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the idea that a huge corporation like CFA can have its "religious beliefs" violated is cartoonishly absurd anyway. Chik Fil A is not a living thing. It does not have religious beliefs. It doesn't have individual liberties that need defended. It has over 2000 stores and 20 times that many employees. It doesn't have a single head that got dipped in water to receive its baptism. It doesn't stare at the ceiling at night considering its beliefs. The idea that corporations are people whose rights constitutionally deserve the same vigorous defense as individual citizens:

...is bunk.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

The Texas House on Monday advanced a bill that prevents the government from penalizing a person or business for actions tied to their religious belief, weeks after debate was shut down over the so-called Save Chick-fil-A measure.

The House passed a new version of the bill in a preliminary 79-62 vote after it was revived by the state Senate, according to NBC News. The measure advanced largely along party lines, with one GOP state lawmaker voting against it.

The bill's passage serves as the latest episode involving the state Republicans' efforts to block government entities from taking "adverse actions" against companies due to their "religious beliefs."

"It shows that Republicans will stop at nothing," state Rep. Julie Johnson (D), a member of the Texas House LGBTQ Caucus, told NBC News. "They're willing to suspend all the rules, have committee hearings without quorum, and ram it through without any regard for the rules and order of procedure."

Johnson, an openly gay lawmaker, earlier this month killed the House's version of the "Save Chick-Fil-A" bill by using a procedural maneuver to shut down debate on the measure. But NBC News noted that the Texas Senate revived the bill by creating a softened measure, SB 1978.

The bill, which was introduced by state Sen. Bryan Hughes (R), passed in the Senate in a party-line vote last week. State Rep. Sarah Davis was the lone Republican in the state House to vote against the measure Monday.

The Texas House is scheduled to conduct a final reading of the Senate version of the bill on Tuesday. Even if no Republicans flip their vote, the legislation will head back to the upper chamber, NBC News noted.

The House voted to remove a part of the measure that would allow Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) to launch investigations into individuals or businesses who have potentially violated the statute. The Senate must pass the changes before the bill can head to Gov. Greg Abbott's (R) desk, the network noted.

The so-called Save Chick-fil-A bill was introduced after the San Antonio City Council voted to ban the popular fast food chain from owning a new location inside the city's airport.

Chick-fil-A has come under fire in recent years for its donations to groups that oppose same-sex marriage.

Proponents of the Texas measure say there is nothing discriminatory in the bill and that it aims to protect religious beliefs. But critics maintain that it supports discrimination against LGBT people.

"Republicans know legalized discrimination will cost working families and small businesses billions of dollars," MarcoAntonio Orrantia, a spokesperson for the Texas Democratic Party, told NBC News. "That's why they snuck the bill through committee without any public notice."
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...ve-chick-fil-a-bill-after-openly-gay-lawmaker

For fuck's sake

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
First Amendment defense is lame. Go ahead and say what you want, but you don't get to silence the consequences. More and more stupid talk should be challenged instead of letting them get away with it all the time because First Amendment works both ways. Avoiding the consequences is not a right.

Nishastra

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, we all know that "religious freedom" means "the right for a (preferably white) Christian to discriminate against anyone for any reason" and nothing else.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
This will turn into another freaking SCOTUS case. Since hobby lobby ruled that legal entities can have religious rights, this will be upheld based on the same principle.

The Equality act is needed more than ever.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
We didn't need further proof that the GOP cares more about corporations than people, but we got it.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing in your religion that says you have to donate to hate groups.

Seriously. There are countless charities out there that that I'm sure would make Jesus happy without making the lives of others miserable. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

You reach a point and can't help but conclude that the hate must just be intentional.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. There are countless charities out there that that I'm sure would make Jesus happy without making the lives of others miserable. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

You reach a point and can't help but conclude that the hate must just be intentional.

Of course it's intentional. They want anyone not like them dead or silenced. This is what Conservatism does, it's who they are. They're terrorists, treat them accordingly