• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
So have you. That doesn't mean that people are entitled to sue you for damages though...unless you were in court...

right?
I didn't say otherwise. But there are some really strange posts in this thread.

He wasn't proven innocent. The charges were dropped. The prosecutor even said posthumously that she believes they could have brought back a guilty verdict.

People should have to pay restitution if it's proven that they wasted public resources by knowingly falsifying claims. Not because cops think so, but there are, contrary to popular belief, finite resources and time.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Good; corrupt DA office be damned. Drag every last scent out of that liar's wallet. Don't forget to add legal costs on top of the $130,000 to cover any taxpayer costs required to bring a civil suit to trial.

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017

He wasn't proven innocent. The charges were dropped. The prosecutor even said posthumously that she believes they could have brought back a guilty verdict.

People should have to pay restitution if it's proven that they wasted public resources by knowingly falsifying claims. Not because cops think so, but there are, contrary to popular belief, finite resources and time.
The whole point is that it hasn't been proven so he shouldn't have to pay.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
It's a trap. If he paid up it would be used as
you realize he is guilty as sin right? That this so called activist made up with this whole shit?
You're going to bat for a liar. Good luck with that.

His guilt isn't relevant.

The justification for asking Jussie to pay the bill is that he filed a bogus police report. But he hasn't actually been convicted of that.

He'd be a fool to just write a check. Doing that would be used against him as evidence he knew it was a bogus report. His best course of action is to let them sue him and then settle with a "no admission of wrongdoing but here's a check" settlement.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

The mechanism for restitution is being charged with filing a false police report.

You can't have your cake and eat it too with this.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
you realize he is guilty as sin right? That this so called activist made up with this whole shit?
You do realize that the only "evidence" hes guilty comes from very racist cops who have incentive to make him guilty.

Never trust cops over a black person. Ever.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao he totally did that shit but fuck off Chicago. If you wanted him to pay you should have charged him.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Folks do know the next move is ? Kid gets caught with a dime bage, but gets off because the cops fuck up? Send him a bill

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You do realize that the only "evidence" hes guilty comes from very racist cops who have incentive to make him guilty.

Never trust cops over a black person. Ever.
That sounds like awful advice in this situation. Seems you can't seperate your hatred for the cops to realize Jussie is not a victim and just an opportunist. Gay Tupac my ass, do you think he could fight back against those two dudes during a polar vortex while holding onto a Subway sandwich? C'mon get real. They would have crushed his glass jaw with one punch.

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
Folks do know the next move is ? Kid gets caught with a dime bage, but gets off because the cops fuck up? Send him a bill

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

People in here emptying their pockets just to see 1 black man "brought to justice"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

People in here emptying their pockets just to see 1 black man "brought to justice"
They propose a state law just for dude...like racists are really in their feelings. In Chicago's storied history with corruption this one dude shook the table...

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good; corrupt AG office be damned. Drag every last scent out of that liar's wallet. Don't forget to add legal costs on top of the $130,000 to cover any taxpayer costs required to bring a civil suit to trial.
So you'd be fine with the police making up some crime against you, doing a bs investigation, and then charging you for the investigation and resources they spent on it even if you're completely cleared/charges are never even filed against you, right? Because that's what you're arguing for.

Like, obviously that's not what happened in the Smollett case, and he probably is guilty. But by saying this should be done, that's the pandora's box you're nonetheless opening: that a person's guilt in court and whether they're charged or not doesn't matter at all and they can still be fined for the investigation and all that regardless because of how the right people "know" they're really guilty regardless.

This type of thing is exactly the type of thing that can easily have ripple effects like that outside the case in question. That guilt and innocence in court don't matter at all, and the city should be able to fine you for the investigation regardless of what does or doesn't happen in court doesn't matter and the city knows better.

It's easy to say "but Smollett is guilty." Doesn't matter. There's an avenue for that, which is charging him with filing a false police report. They opted not to do that. That may be due to factors such as corruption in the DA's office or something of the sort, but the answer to that is dealing with said corruption, not treating him as guilty anyway as doing that will have unintended repercussions outside of this case.

I mean, I suppose if one doesn't care about those repercussions though and just want to make sure that Smollett is punished regardless of how that would be used to fuck over other people that don't deserve it in the future, that they want him punished that badly, that's their prerogative I suppose... But I'm rightly going to judge people if they're willing to go that far and they don't give a fuck if innocent people get screwed over or not just to make sure Smollett is punished, as that's mighty damn telling if that's where they're priorities lie, making sure this one person is punished no matter what, damn the consequences (especially when it's oh so easy to say that when they won't be the ones facing those consequences).

Oct 25, 2017
Good; corrupt DA office be damned. Drag every last scent out of that liar's wallet. Don't forget to add legal costs on top of the $130,000 to cover any taxpayer costs required to bring a civil suit to trial.

Do you have this much energy when the police murder black people. Or CPD having black sites to torture people?

The charges have been dropped. Jussie is not obligated to do a DAMN thing. He doesn't have to pay them a cent. This is a dangerous precedent to set and some of y'all are her cheering it on.

Jussie staged the hell out of his attack. But what's done is done. Charges were dropped. Like someone said earlier they are going to fuck around and make him a sympathetic figure if they keep up the bully tactics.

And CPD really should focus on solving other crimes in the city because they've been doing a shitty job at that.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what to feel about this. I mean...fuck him for being a lying POS, but Chicago dropped the charges, so why the fuck are they trying to make him pay? That ain't on him for Chicago being full of a bunch of fucking morons.

Dumb comparison here, but:

Shop Owner: You broke my vase!
Shopper: No I didn't
Shop Owner: Okay, you didn't. Now pay me for the vase.
Shopper: Wut?

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Thats what charges are made for.. If youre charged and its dropped. Thats on the pd for making it an issue.. Having press conferencrs and everything else.. They run blacksite prison camps. Lol. Now this is a fiscal issue?

My tanned ass.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a civil case they would just need to show it's more likely than not he submitted a false police report.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess on the flip side of things, if he wasn't exhonerated then why didn't they just make reimbursement for the investigation a condition of dropping the charges?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
On what grounds should he pay? He wasn't found guilty of anything, and all charges were dropped besides. It makes no sense he should pay under such a circumstance and I don't understand what the City's argument on why he legally should would be, and any argument I can imagine for this would be quite worrying in terms of precedent and how easily it could be applied to anyone regardless of guilt or innocence as that would be establishing such things don't matter at all and the City can simply charge people just 'cause they say so.

Criminal vs civil. OJ was found not guilty of a crime but liable for the deaths.

They found him innocent though, so...

Are we going to expect everyone acquitted of a crime to pay for the costs that went towards charging them for a crime they were found innocent for?

Because if you believe Jussie should pay then you believe that.

He was acquitted by the legal system. The legal system can and should not seek reparations for a case where they found the defendant guilty. That is a dangerous and scary slippery slope.

Are you going to throw someone in jail who can't pay it, for a crime they were found innocent of?

The Criminal Act of Being Poor.

EDIT:

Here's an example you get a speeding ticket the court finds that there was no reason to issue the ticket. Now though instead of having to pay the $250 ticket cost you have to pay $1000s in court costs.

He was not found innocent. Nor was he acquitted.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
I'm not sure what to feel about this. I mean...fuck him for being a lying POS, but Chicago PD dropped the charges, so why the fuck are they trying to make him pay? That ain't on him for Chicago being full of a bunch of fucking morons.

Dumb comparison here, but:

Shop Owner: You broke my vase!
Shopper: No I didn't
Shop Owner: Okay, you didn't. Now pay me for the vase.
Shopper: Wut?

The prosecutors office dropped the charges, not the police.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Charging someone for a dropped charge is ridiculous unless agreed to.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Do people in this thread not understand that the city government of Chicago and the office of the Cook County States' Attorney are two entirely different organizations?

It's pretty embarrassing.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe he is, but that's not for you to decide. The court of public opinion is bullshit. They should have properly gone through the legal proceedings and found him guilty of the crime, if they wanted to persue damages or whatever.

The idea that the government could fine a citizen to pay for an investigation about them that didn't result in a conviction or anything like that sounds so abhorrent a precedent to set, I'm slightly shocked some people are defending it

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he is, but that's not for you to decide. The court of public opinion is bullshit. They should have properly gone through the legal proceedings and found him guilty of the crime, if they wanted to persue damages or whatever.

The idea that the government could fine a citizen to pay for an investigation about them that didn't result in a conviction or anything like that sounds so abhorrent a precedent to set, I'm slightly shocked some people are defending it

The county prosecutor dropped the charges. The civil suit is being brought by the city. They'll have to show, by a prepoderance of the evidence, that he filed a false police report. I think it's safe to believe they will prevail.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine if he did pay all of the black people that would be even more fucked by the legal system than we are already by such a precedent.

Y'all never think about us.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? He didn't order this investigation why would he foot the bill?

Edit: They can't charge him for a false report when they never actually proved he filed one

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't pay either.... not until CPD cops have to pay for all their false reports...

This is a smoke screen. Y'all really want to empower the police to send a bill to every "suspect" they lose a case too? Y'all wanna open that can of worms of this?

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Just imagine if he did pay all of the black people that would be even more fucked by the legal system than we are already by such a precedent.

Y'all never think about us.

It makes no sense procedurally either. So does everyone get the choice between paying the costs of their investigation or being charged for a crime? Of course they wouldn't.

They're just trying to get another bite of the apple here.

Oct 26, 2017
Sucks that they wasted taxpayer money for his bullshit stunt, but they let him go.

If you get pulled over for speeding and then let off with a warning, they can't then charge you for that officer's time.

Cool.

Lets start with all those Parking Lot Patties who call cops on black people for existing nearby.

I'd be all for this, honestly.

Oct 27, 2017
The difference here and what some of you all are bringing up is he was accused of filing a false report. He intentionally set an investigation in motion and if it's bullshit I don't see why they shouldn't sue him. They're still going to have to show he intentionally filed a false report, although at a lower burden than in a criminal case.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that they wasted taxpayer money for his bullshit stunt, but they let him go.

If you get pulled over for speeding and then let off with a warning, they can't then charge you for that officer's time.

I'd be all for this, honestly.

The state dropped charges, the city of chicago is suing him in civil court (just like any person or organization can sue anyone else).

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool.

Lets start with all those Parking Lot Patties who call cops on black people for existing nearby.
Yup. Those and the people calling 911 leading to the death of people like John Crawford in the first place. Yet they tend to get off the hook each and every time and no one cares or tends to even remember or anything, yet this of all things is what people raise bloody murder about. Wonder why...

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Dk about this but hopefully results in Kim Foxx resigning. Holy fuck how did someone so inept and awful get in charge. At least theres no way she lasts beyond next year. Still hope shes gone sooner.