• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There are other genres of music that have reputation of being bigoted. Not all hip hop is bigoted. So if this ban was based on combating bigotry (to be clear a reason hasn't even been given yet other than the PR response of switching up music), it's hypocritical and ended up being bigoted in itself.
I mean, yup. Also, if the intent is to ban bigoted music, then the non racist policy is to then ban bigoted music of all types.

The fact they went straight for rap is clear that the intent was solely racism. And unsurprisingly there are posters refusing to see that.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Repeated pattern of dismissing concerns surrounding racism; previous severe infractions
Errrr I don't get it. Is this not a private establishment?

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, rap culture has plenty of homophobic lyrics and such...
I mean, rock culture has plenty of homophobic lyrics and such...

I mean, pop culture has plenty of homophobic lyrics and such...

I mean, country culture has plenty of homophobic lyrics and such...

I mean, music has plenty of homophobic lyrics and such...

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, rap culture has plenty of homophobic lyrics and such...
1. What is "rap culture"?
2. Why not ban any song that has homophobic lyrics instead of just rap?
3. There's plenty, plenty, PLENTY of rap that doesn't have homophobic lyrics. Why is that lumped in with the homophobic stuff and banned regardless, especially considering homophobic songs of other genres apparently aren't a problem and aren't enough to write them off, and this only applies to rap for some mysterious reason.

4. Above all of this, the bar in this instance, to the best of my understanding, wasn't even using the racist as fuck (which is racist because of 1-3 and how this is only applied to rap) reasoning of "rap is just all homophobic and misogynistic garbage and has to go," but instead, some even more weak stuff about trying to create a more positive and upbeat atmosphere, which makes even less sense.

So to wander in here with this tired talking point that has nothing to even do with anything and generalizes an entire genre for no good reason that mysteriously isn't done for other genres, or alternatively, if the focus was truly about homophobic lyrics, just making that the focus and getting rid of all of them instead of focusing on one genre and trying to put everything on the genre instead of the lyrics which are supposedly the real concern... Do better.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017

It is, and they're 100% allowed to do this. Just like we're all allowed to call them racists and bigots and fuckheads and whatever else because of this decision they, again, are well within their rights to make.

So now I guess it's a private establishment full of racist, bigoted, fuckhead assholes.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's always telling when people go out of their way to make up excuses on behalf of other people. Nothing the bar has said about this so far has mentioned homophobic lyrics at all.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is indeed. And? What's it being a private establishment have to do with anything? The arguments being made aren't legal ones. Of course they have the legal right to choose what music they want. That doesn't shield them from criticism however, or stop the obvious intent of this move being racial in nature, and hence the criticism. It being legal and their right to do this is neither here nor there and has nothing to do with anything.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
welp... if they were successful and well known because of their POC attendance they are just gonna fuckin disappear now right? Like... did the owners make a bet on how quick a community could completely abandon a club or something?

What's the over/under on their backtrack message once they watch the money fade?

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
It's always telling when people go out of their way to make up excuses on behalf of other people. Nothing the bar has said about this so far has mentioned homophobic lyrics at all.

#NotAllRacistGayBars

Or something like that. It's hard to be any more transparent than "Anything vulgar, aggressive or considered mumble rap...is off limits."

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
In Bethesda, Maryland there was a bar that had a popular $1 beer night on Thursday nights. The place would always be packed and was a good time on a Thursday night. Then they implemented a rule where people from certain neighborhoods had to pay a $10 cover. They used drivers licenses to determine this.

I asked the bouncer which neighborhoods were permitted to enter without a cover, and he named the immediate downtown area around the bar (predominately White), the DC side of Takoma (also white), and various neighborhoods west of the Anacostia (also white). My neighborhood in downtown Silver Spring, which was closer to the bar than any of the others and had a large black and Latino population, had to pay a cover. The intent was clear. And the effects were visible when you looked on the dance floor, which was visible from the street. What was usually a large diverse crowd dancing, was just a handful of white people milling about.

I never went back to the place. It also closed a couple of years back.
I remember that bar from when I was in college. I had no idea that they did that stupid shit but I'm not surprised. A lot of the food/bar/entertainment places in the DMV try to pull that move, usually without reprecussions.

Not bar related but for the longest time when I lived in DC I couldn't get any food delivered where I lived. I got frustrated one night and asked the place I called where they did deliver and it was like they basically drew a random circle around parts of NE, NW and SE and delivered everywhere else. I shouldn't need to say what parts.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of something similar that happened at Nellies Sports Bar in DC. They used(still do?) to have Hip Hop DJs mix on Sunday afternoons on the upper level and there was a series of weeks where there was fights that mainly involved black patrons. The white patrons also started complaining about the music, and sheer number of people on the upper level during Sundays and the chaos they bring. The owner released a letter and shared the same thinly veiled racist sentiments and shit hit the fan, which caused Nellies to lose most of their black customers to a gay bar across the street. They also had a Blue Lives Matter flag flying for a while that got taken down after they received backlash over it.

I know a bartender that used to work at a bar where they were specifically instructed not to play Hip-Hop/Rap music because it "attracted the wrong crowd" to the bar. He quit shortly after.

Gay white people are still white. And thus just as capable of racism. If black people start to congregate a social setting, whether it be a bar or restaurants in a way that's uncomfortable to white people, they leave. Even if nothing has changed other than the presence of people of color. You don't really see this behavior with other races in the city unless they are pushed away via racist treatment.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like rap music so i just don't go when it's hip hop night.

But this, this is blatantly racist. Wtf.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think y'all are wrong at all in that it really sucks that someone doesn't want rap in their establishment, and I'd probably not go to that bar, but I dunno. Let them fail. Let them lose customers and opportunity to their own stupid decisions.

That being said, If I owned a bar and wanted to theme it to whatever I wanted to, I'd still want full control over my decisions and what type of music is played. If my music selection sucks, which it probably would in my fantasy bar, then let me fall on my own sword. Let them be uncultured. There's going to be another bar that ends up doing the exact opposite and make gang busters over this bar's own poor decisions.

Just my thought at least.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think y'all are wrong at all in that it really sucks that someone doesn't want rap in their establishment, and I'd probably not go to that bar, but I dunno. Let them fail. Let them lose customers and opportunity to their own stupid decisions.

That being said, If I owned a bar and wanted to theme it to whatever I wanted to, I'd still want full control over my decisions and what type of music is played. If my music selection sucks, which it probably would in my fantasy bar, then let me fall on my own sword. Let them be uncultured. There's going to be another bar that ends up doing the exact opposite and make gang busters over this bar's own poor decisions.

Just my thought at least.
The free market will take care of everything right.

This is the free market taking care of it.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I received a lot of responses so I'm going to make this general post. I made two clear points in this thread:

One of the points I made was sympathetic to gay bars banning hip-hop. As a fan of my local Minneapolis rap scene, I am not ignorant to the more progressive side of the genre. However, considering the popular contributors to the national scene over the decades, I stand by my point that misogyny and anti-LGBT tendencies are a fine reason to not play the genre.

My second point was a critique of gay bars only banning rap in such blunt ways and questioning why other banned genres were not given the same treatment. It's shitty this point I made has been ignored and edited out of responses.

Last edited:

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The free market will take care of everything right.

This is the free market taking care of it.

Clearly the response has been less than "good" for them. I'm excited for their future closure, as I'm sure it won't last for long. Bars are hard enough to maintain, and hopefully someone can capitalize on their shotty stance on music. This kind of negative press probably won't help it much.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is it not at all possible that the business owner just simply likes Pop/Dance and doesn't like rap? Why does music selection = race? It's not like they are saying "No more Migos or Kodak Black but Lil Xan is cool and Logic is acceptable but only every other day of the week"

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the response has been less than "good" for them. I'm excited for their future closure, as I'm sure it won't last for long. Bars are hard enough to maintain, and hopefully someone can capitalize on their shotty stance on music. This kind of negative press probably won't help it much.
So what should have changed about the reaction. People are allowed to stop going but not allowed to be vocal about it?

OP
OP

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I received a lot of responses so I'm going to make this general post. I made two clear points in this thread:

One of the points I made was sympathetic to gay bars banning hip-hop. As a fan of my local Minneapolis rap scene, I am not ignorant to the more progressive side of the genre. However, considering the popular contributors to the national scene over the decades, I stand by my point that misogyny and anti-LGBT tendencies are a fine reason to not play the genre.

My second point was a critique of gay bars only banning rap in such blunt ways and questioning why other banned genres were not given the same treatment. It's shitty this point I made has been ignored and edited out of responses.

You've chosen to ignore the original reason for the ban and comment on some nonexistent issue, so thank you for your contribution. It's easy to see through the bullshit, like at Progress.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Is it not at all possible that the business owner just simply likes Pop/Dance and doesn't like rap? Why does music selection = race? It's not like they are saying "No more Migos or Kodak Black but Lil Xan is cool and Logic is acceptable but only every other day of the week"

It's very clear if you read the initial email that it has nothing to do with the bar owner's personal taste in music.

OP
OP

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me repost this because people are ignoring the simple reason behind the ban.

progressbar2.jpg

Vulgar, aggressive or mumble rap has nothing to do with misogyny or homophobic lyrics because you can't just generalize an entire genre. They're referencing WGCI as comparison to what they won't play, which is a local urban radio station.

I'm not sure why people are still being ignorant in this thread.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
You've chosen to ignore the original reason for the ban and comment on some nonexistent issue, so thank you for your contribution. It's easy to see through the bullshit, like at Progress.

Not sure what the bolded means. Unlike your responses, I have no hidden subtext for which to pull between the lines. Just consider my whole post when responding and not assign me positions outside of my very deliberate points.

EDIT: forgot Boystown wasn't the name of the bar. Forgiveness.

OP
OP

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what the bolded means. Unlike your responses, I have no hidden subtext for which to pull between the lines. Just consider my whole post when responding and not assign me positions outside of my very deliberate points.

Dude, the bar is called Progress. Did you even read the original article?

I'm done with you. Commit to the discussion if you want to play victim. Jesus.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Let me repost this because people are ignoring the simple reason behind the ban.

progressbar2.jpg

Vulgar, aggressive or mumble rap has nothing to do with misogyny or homophobic lyrics because you can't just generalize an entire genre. They're referencing WGCI as comparison to what they won't play, which is a local urban radio station.

I'm not sure why people are still being ignorant in this thread.
Some people are just being willfully ignorant and obtuse. Because I actually go to Progress it's so clear to me what this is and it's exactly what people are saying it is which is why there's been such a backlash in the city of Chicago.

OP
OP

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are just being willfully ignorant and obtuse. Because I actually go to Progress it's so clear to me what this is and it's exactly what people are saying it is which is why there's been such a backlash in the city of Chicago.

I haven't been in a few months but yeah, it is very obvious. I prefer Scarlet, even if it is usually packed to the brim.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Well let's see here what's going on in this thread now. I wonder if the bar has posted any upd-- whoa hold up

I'm a caucasian gay and live in Japan and find myself almost exclusively attracted to asians. like literally 95%+ . I cant really see myself being interested in any other race.

Does that alone make me racist

Yes.

Next question please

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Side note: Those pictures posted forbid "plain white T-shirts" in those establishments. Can anyone explain why? Since a plain black/red/blue... T-shirt seems to be fine.

Because black people. Look at this quick image search and see how many things would be banned by that dress code. Also, when they say work boots, they most assuredly mean Timberland boots.

2011-topic-music-jay-z-1-1170x1008.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Because black people. Look at this quick image search and see how many things would be banned by that dress code. Also, when they say work boots, they most assuredly mean Timberland boots.

2011-topic-music-jay-z-1-1170x1008.jpg
I feel super dense for this, but I still don't get it. Do you mean black people are more likely to wear white shirts?
I mean, obviously there is a racist reason, it's just something I'd never have thought of I guess. Associating white T-shirts with any specific group, really.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I feel super dense for this, but I still don't get it. Do you mean black people are more likely to wear white shirts?
I mean, obviously there is a racist reason, it's just something I'd never have thought of I guess. Associating white T-shirts with any specific group, really.
Yes a fresh white tee is/was considered club going wear for a while in black culture.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Side note: Those pictures posted forbid "plain white T-shirts" in those establishments. Can anyone explain why? Since a plain black/red/blue... T-shirt seems to be fine.
I think what a lot of people miss about these "dress codes" is that like a lot of things in this country (like laws) they are selectively applied to people of color when it's convenient. There was plenty of times when I lived in DC that I was stopped at the door of clubs and told that I wasn't wearing the right shoes or something only to glance past the bouncers and see folks who weren't my shade in the club wearing shorts and sneakers.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Yes a fresh white tee is/was considered club going wear for a while in black culture.
Oh, now it makes sense, never knew, thanks

I think what a lot of people miss about these "dress codes" is that like a lot of things in this country (like laws) they are selectively applied to people of color when it's convenient. There was plenty of times when I lived in DC that I was stopped at the door of clubs and told that I wasn't wearing the right shoes or something only to glance past the bouncers and see folks who weren't my shade in the club wearing shorts and sneakers.

A friend of mine once got stopped by a bouncer because he was dressed wrong. He refused to tell us what was wrong. The friend, of course, was the only guy in our group that day who wasn't white.

So I know what you mean, but I thought there might still be some kind of basis for that rule, something like what Slayven mentioned.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Someone posted this to gaybros on Reddit and sure enough, any comment siding with the bar is upvoted and any comment saying yes it's racist or even so much as questioning why the bar did this are downvoted.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Edited. Sincere apologies on that. I did read the article. Just misread your post.

Look. I'm not playing victim. I must reiterate when being misrepresented.

You aren't misrepresented though. In 2019 you've got Kendrick, Cardi B, Drake, J Cole, Chance, etc as some of the biggest rap stara in the world. Its pretty 1994 to just generalize the entire genre as if everyone's walking around with baggie jeans, dropping F bombs and slapping women i. Its a point you went out of the way to make. Even a reprehensible person that he was irl, xxxtentation, clamped it down hard in his actual songs.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Well let's see here what's going on in this thread now. I wonder if the bar has posted any upd-- whoa hold up

Yes.

Next question please

Everyone has prefrences tho. I dont think any less of any one I just find myself attrat ted to a very specific thing. Am I sexist too because Im gay and not attracted to women?

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Everyone has prefrences tho. I dont think any less of any one I just find myself attrat ted to a very specific thing. Am I sexist too because Im gay and not attracted to women?

attraction to an ethnicity is not genetic

fetishising people is just the opposite weirdness of excluding them for their race. it's still weird and somewhat gross on either end of the spectrum.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
attraction to an ethnicity is not genetic

fetishising people is just the opposite weirdness of excluding them for their race. it's still weird and somewhat gross on either end of the spectrum.

I havent seen the latest science but has homosexuality been scientifically linked to genes either? Last I heard it was still speculation.

I dont see anything wrong with a racial fetish if it makes me and the people I choose to be sexually active with happy. There are plenty of Japanese here only interested in other Japanese and some who prefer foreigners. I dont think either is "weird and gross."