• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Have you seen their new dress code?
Hogans-Beach-Dress-Code.jpg
Hulk Hogan is such a little bitch

Good thing they banned all genres of music that are misogynistic, sexist, and
They make it seem like where the hood at was playing on repeat for the last year.

Last edited:

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A minority of a minority is less likely to get attention and less likely to be called out on when incidents occur.

I'm still amazed that we have bars trying to ban, "The most popular genre of music in the world". This shit doesn't even make financial sense.

A lot of people in the white gay community like to cloak themselves in the appearance of diversity while absolving themselves of racism.

Oct 29, 2017
Even gay ppl are racist. Shit

As I found my place in the LGBT community my dismay when I found this out was twofold: that racism is everywhere, including in marginalized communities, and my disappointment in myself that I had to "find this out" in the first place.

A lot of people in the white gay community like to cloak themselves in the appearance of diversity while absolving themselves of racism.

While simultaneously putting "no blacks, just a preference!" on their Grindr profiles.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
You can oppose the ban without pretending music doesn't have profoundly different genres and moods.

Genre's a wide brush tho; I can play techno that's going to be all EDM kids tripping or play techno where all black and goth is the dress code.

Its why its a bullshit ban; 90's hip-hop night will be a complete 180 from a Southern themed set. Saying don't play rap music is a big racial signifier.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
61488829_1273820606109132_4991200409717571584_n.png

lol at 'working to heal the pain'
*writes, 'You're allowed to play only 1 rap song per night to appease the blacks.' on the check to DJs*

They went so far as to hire extra security at the DJ booth for this so they must have known this was going to be unpopular. Overall shitty behavior, yet not surprising in the least.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
The number and status of people coming out the woodworks to air out the bars long history of discriminatory practices is insane. The situation is definitely becoming "magmatic". Despite their PR'ed up response today, I really feel like the damage is done and people are going to move on. there have been two times since i've been going to Boystown when a similar situation occurred and people started going elsewhere. It was not pretty, it seemed to spread to other establishments and became more general boycott of the neighborhood. Though I'm hoping for the best as we enter pride.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
As I found my place in the LGBT community my dismay when I found this out was twofold: that racism is everywhere, including in marginalized communities, and my disappointment in myself that I had to "find this out" in the first place.

While simultaneously putting "no blacks, just a preference!" on their Grindr profiles.
Racism is arguably worse in the LGBTQ+ especially when dating or on Grindr. It's awful, I've seen so many profiles with the phrase no blacks on there it's not even funny. Don't even get me started on bars, ugh.

OP
OP

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number and status of people coming out the woodworks to air out the bars long history of discriminatory practices is insane. The situation is definitely becoming "magmatic". Despite their PR'ed up response today, I really feel like the damage is done and people are going to move on. there have been two times since i've been going to Boystown when a similar situation occurred and people started going elsewhere. It was not pretty, it seemed to spread to other establishments and became more general boycott of the neighborhood. Though I'm hoping for the best as we enter pride.

What a way to start Pride off. Also the rainbow sidewalk thing comes off as extremely white gay pride as well. I know there was a lot of backlash from white gays when they tried to add black and brown to the flag. They have only one that has the trans colors too, which is bs. Excluding that from the sidewalk displays just left a bad taste in my mouth of an already problematic community. Boystown continues to be trash.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Rap is pretty homophobic and misogynistic, so I can understand the reasons why. I'm not sure of this bars reasoning though.
Except for the rap music played in gay/LGBTQ friendly bars. Or most rap in general.

Hell, this kind of ban immediately prevents that damn Wobble song from being played, and that shit has been banging in damn near every gay bar or gay majority party I've ever been to.

Banning specific artists or specific songs, sure, but a whole ass genre? Doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Jun 10, 2018
Hip-hop has as a well earned reputation of being misogynistic, sexist, and homophobic. Also, the sound is not for everyone. Every bar is entitled to their own vibe.

Of course, I'm not aware of any bars plastering long essays on the wall explaining why there are no country western or nintendocore songs in the jukebox.
Imagine coming into a thread and implicitly siding with anti-black rhetoric.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Racism is arguably worse in the LGBTQ+ especially when dating or on Grindr. It's awful, I've seen so many profiles with the phrase no blacks on there it's not even funny. Don't even get me started on bars, ugh.

I'm thinking about it now, and I realize that despite living in the Deep South, I've *never* seen a profile on Tinder or OK Cupid that said "No blacks" . Like, I can't even imagine. It's absurd that minorities still find a way to oppress other minorities. :/

Anyway, this rap music ban is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Sketch, and it's good they were called on it.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
A bit off topic but reading this topic made me curious.

Im a caucasian gay and live in Japan and find myself almost exclusively attracted to asians. like literally 95%+ . I cant really see myself being interested in any other race.

Does that alone make me racist or does require more open and proactive rejection of other races like you see on Grindr?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I know there was a lot of backlash from white gays when they tried to add black and brown to the flag. They have only one that has the trans colors too, which is bs.
Transphobia and racism are probably the first two things I think of when it comes to issues in many gay communities, even in more "progressive" spaces. It's gross and it's alienating.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

Im a caucasian gay and live in Japan and find myself almost exclusively attracted to asians. like literally 95%+ . I cant really see myself being interested in any other race.

Does that alone make me racist or does require more open and proactive rejection of other races like you see on Grindr?

this is not the topic for this but it makes you weird and/or sheltered

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns Surrounding Racism and a History of Dismissive Behavior
Imagine coming into a thread and implicitly siding with anti-black rhetoric.

I'm not surprised. Era has a lot of diet racists.

A ton of em are here. Sad really. :/

See cultural Marxism the thread

This was honestly unexpected.

If you believe hip-hop's reputation as anti-LGBT and/or misogynistic is unearned, then why not respond with a counter point? If I'm a racist for criticizing a genre of music, then you should call me out with why. Passive aggressively including me in an imaginary era cabal of "diet" racists without making any real points is just weak.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019

It's definitely a little fetishistic.

Jun 10, 2018

If you believe hip-hop's reputation as anti-LGBT and/or misogynistic is unearned, then why not respond with a counter point? If I'm a racist for criticizing a genre of music, then you should call me out with why. Passive aggressively including me in an imaginary era cabal of "diet" racists without making any real points is just weak.
I don't need to belabor on such an obvious point that siding with exclusion of a particular clientele base by proxy of racially loaded qualifiers is suspect at WORST.

Your attempt at diversion to generalized reputation is frankly of little relevance to the real discrimination at play here.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017

There's certainly anti-LGBT artists in the hip hop/rap genre. Much like there are in every other genre. Why not just say "no songs with anti-LGBT lyrics" instead of banning only rap music? When you combine that with the history of racism in the white gay community it paints a suspect picture at best for Progress Bar's motive for the ban.

There's plenty of LGBT positive rap/hip hop artists that deserve to get their music played.

Last edited:

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Id understand if they ban some songs in every genre cause of hateful or racist lyrics.

But hey, if i had the power to ban all regguetton in my establishment (or the world) id do it in an instant cause I hate that type of music.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Call out artists, not genres.

The rap genre is not a sapient being. It doesn't have thoughts or biases. Lots of rap is homophobic, especially older rap, but you can't paint the entire genre with that same brush.

Just ban homophobic or offensive music of any genre.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly racist because the community is so open about it. "Love all people. Just not what I'm into sorry."

This is until they want to fetishize black bodies. The number of times I've been asked to see or play with my BBC (mind you they have no clue what I'm working with because I never showed them) from people with stuff like that in their profiles is pretty telling. White gay culture is toxic and extremely exclusive in my experiences.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Clubs love their "We are not saying no niggers, but we saying no niggers" policies. They love the culture but hate the people
In Bethesda, Maryland there was a bar that had a popular $1 beer night on Thursday nights. The place would always be packed and was a good time on a Thursday night. Then they implemented a rule where people from certain neighborhoods had to pay a $10 cover. They used drivers licenses to determine this.

I asked the bouncer which neighborhoods were permitted to enter without a cover, and he named the immediate downtown area around the bar (predominately White), the DC side of Takoma (also white), and various neighborhoods west of the Anacostia (also white). My neighborhood in downtown Silver Spring, which was closer to the bar than any of the others and had a large black and Latino population, had to pay a cover. The intent was clear. And the effects were visible when you looked on the dance floor, which was visible from the street. What was usually a large diverse crowd dancing, was just a handful of white people milling about.

I never went back to the place. It also closed a couple of years back.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
That's not rap, that's country.

Just making a joke cuz this:

"Upon further review, it was determined that 'Old Town Road' by Lil Nas X does not currently merit inclusion on Billboard's country charts," Billboard said in a statement. "When determining genres, a few factors are examined, but first and foremost is musical composition. While 'Old Town Road' incorporates references to country and cowboy imagery, it does not embrace enough elements of today's country music to chart in its current version."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In Bethesda, Maryland there was a bar that had a popular $1 beer night on Thursday nights. The place would always be packed and was a good time on a Thursday night. Then they implemented a rule where people from certain neighborhoods had to pay a $10 cover. They used drivers licenses to determine this.

I asked the bouncer which neighborhoods were permitted to enter without a cover, and he named the immediate downtown area around the bar (predominately White), the DC side of Takoma (also white), and various neighborhoods west of the Anacostia (also white). My neighborhood in downtown Silver Spring, which was closer to the bar than any of the others and had a large black and Latino population, had to pay a cover. The intent was clear. And the effects were visible when you looked on the dance floor, which was visible from the street. What was usually a large diverse crowd dancing, was just a handful of white people milling about.

Yeah brown folks get a place hot and popping then suddenly they not welcome anymore.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is until they want to fetishize black bodies. The number of times I've been asked to see or play with my BBC (mind you they have no clue what I'm working with because I never showed them) from people with stuff like that in their profiles is pretty telling. White gay culture is toxic and extremely exclusive in my experiences.

I could go on about the exclusivity thing but I don't want to derail. But yeah, it's a virus. White people (full disclosure, me) break even white people down by aesthetic group. The "most woofed" on scruff all look like the same person.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly it's been this way for as long as I can remember being a gay POC. Grindr even had to do an ad campaign to fight against the racism on the platform, which didn't work because people are trash.

There are tons of queer rap or allied artists, so any excuse other than racism is pure bullshit.
Grindr is fucking awful. I have been seeing so many men putting "I have a dick" to snarky comments to put down transgender users in the pronouns section. And it's super common.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

That is the most racist MoCo shit I've heard since those kids at Churchill got caught trading N word passes.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

There are other genres of music that have reputation of being bigoted. Not all hip hop is bigoted. So if this ban was based on combating bigotry (to be clear a reason hasn't even been given yet other than the PR response of switching up music), it's hypocritical and ended up being bigoted in itself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're going to deny diet racism on Era? Ok man, whatever you say. Bye.

Let's not forget you came into this thread saying the bar was entitled to take this stance, and it's cut and dry their stance is racist. They doubled down and then walked back because they're going to lose business. The community in Chicago has responded to that, not by playing whataboutism or devils advocate, but by confronting racism and policies that exclude people.

So this is all in you and your dumb initial post.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
That's such obvious racist bullshit. Always horrifying how marginalised groups still aren't immune from being racist, sexist and so on.
I wonder what actually prompted this (sorry if I missed it, I skimmed the thread). Like, new management, or.. Idk. What made the racists in charge decide to pull this shit now?

Side note: Those pictures posted forbid "plain white T-shirts" in those establishments. Can anyone explain why? Since a plain black/red/blue... T-shirt seems to be fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's such obvious racist bullshit. Always horrifying how marginalised groups still aren't immune from being racist, sexist and so on.
I wonder what actually prompted this (sorry if I missed it, I skimmed the thread). Like, new management, or.. Idk. What made the racists in charge decide to pull this shit now?

Side note: Those pictures posted forbid "plain white T-shirts" in those establishments. Can anyone explain why? Since a plain black/red/blue... T-shirt seems to be fine.

This weekend there was some violence at the bar but it wasn't POC, turns out it was some white dude literally punching glass. They're banning aggressive music in response, or how they put it, anything played on WGCI, which is a racist comment. That's our local Urban station. It was a snide snark that people like the GOP or Trump would say.