• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Super cool. Just another tipping point humanity is passing to further the ecological and climate breakdown of the world.

Plastics are of particularly high concern, they said, along with 350,000 synthetic chemicals including pesticides, industrial compounds and antibiotics. Plastic pollution is now found from the summit of Mount Everest to the deepest oceans, and some toxic chemicals, such as PCBs, are long-lasting and widespread.

The study concludes that chemical pollution has crossed a "planetary boundary", the point at which human-made changes to the Earth push it outside the stable environment of the last 10,000 years.

www.theguardian.com

Chemical pollution has passed safe limit for humanity, say scientists

Study calls for cap on production and release as pollution threatens global ecosystems upon which life depends

OP
OP
Milky Way

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Personally trying to limit my own personal plastic consumption as much as possible, recycle when I can. It's just so fucked up. Not to mention the carbon emissions from making plastic and then microplastics in our bloodstreams.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Personally trying to limit my own personal plastic consumption as much as possible, recycle when I can. It's just so fucked up. Not to mention the carbon emissions from making plastic and then microplastics in our bloodstreams.
The most frustrating part about this stuff is how at an invidual level it doesn't even really make a difference. We would need widespread regulations against this kind of stuff from governments.

Though I don't mean it's not worth trying to do what you can.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is bad news for us, but if cyanobacteria hadn't fucked up the atmosphere by polluting all that oxygen into it, none of us would be here. Sure, we're going to all go extinct but hopefully some rad stuff evolves behind us.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
giphy.gif

Not much more to say really...

OP
OP
Milky Way

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
The most frustrating part about this stuff is how at an invidual level it doesn't even really make a difference. We would need widespread regulations against this kind of stuff from governments.

Though I don't mean it's not worth trying to do what you can.

yep. Super depressing

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I was using the bins at winco where you scoop the dry produce like beans, lentils, dried fruit, etc. you scoop them into a plastic bag and i of course reuse them , an employee tapped me on the shoulder and told me i have to use new ones.

Even when you go out of your way to try and reduce theres still obstacles.

Deleted member 10623

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2021
Good luck to the future generations I guess. To the person in 2080 who is lurking around this forum. I hope ur doing good bud.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, all we need is the for the Doomsday Glacier to break off and we can call this planet fucked.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
This is bad news for us, but if cyanobacteria hadn't fucked up the atmosphere by polluting all that oxygen into it, none of us would be here. Sure, we're going to all go extinct but hopefully some rad stuff evolves behind us.

It's not really guaranteed that intelligent life will ever develop after us.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I mean, we stopped using as much plastics as possible. Conserving on gas and electric use while at home. Kind of frustrating that we are doing our part for nothing.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we stopped using as much plastics as possible. Conserving on gas and electric use while at home. Kind of frustrating that we are doing our part for nothing.
Eventually it will be forced on everyone when its too late.

I don't think future societies will be these consume all the time things we are living in now.

I can see why most people don't want to alter their behavior either. People are shitty and mostly only concerned with their own well being and happiness.