• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
She doesn't have to have anything to do with the attack to be called out for contributing to an Islamophobic narrative. It's not rocket science. Would it be nice if everyone was always polite? Sure, but sometimes this is what you have to do in order to be heard.

Being heard is fine, but how the message is shown can be devastating to achieving what you're hoping to convey. How they framed this was not what would help their concern, hurts their credibility with the greater public and gives ammunition to Chelsea's side, not there's. There was no scenario where angrily confronting a pregnant white lady who was apologising over and over again on camera was ever going to work to their interests.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Rationalizing harassment
That girl makes Bernie supporters look bad which is a good thing I hope the video continues to spread

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What Chelsea did to Ilhan Omar on Twitter because Omar criticized Israel was classic Islamophobic BS. The Muslim community here is fed up with that.

That said, The person who confronted her went way too far and just looks crazy. That is not how you get your point across.

But I have no problem with our community pointing out the hypocrites who peddle islamiphobia and then want to show up for the photo ops in these situations.
I agree with this. But I would also add that's a young 20 year old girl who's justifiably angry about members of her faith being murdered by white supremacists

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Being heard is fine, but how the message is shown can be devastating to achieving what you're hoping to convey. How they framed this was not what would help their concern, hurts their credibility with the greater public and gives ammunition to Chelsea's side, not there's. There was no scenario where angrily confronting a pregnant white lady who was apologising over and over again on camera was ever going to work to their interests.
So, you're worried about pearl clutching?

Personally, I don't care about Chelsea in this situation. I think she handled it well. I'm more bothered by the inconsistent way in which people here seem to be responding. There are people saying the woman is in the wrong for doing what she did. Any other circumstance like this would be rightfully called out as "tone policing".

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
That girl makes Bernie supporters look bad which is a good thing I hope the video continues to spread

Why is it a good thing that a muslim woman gets smeared by the media? Of course the media will eat it up because they cant help themselves tearing down women of color who dared to stand up to this helpless white lady. but its nice that you want to score political points to make the "bernie supporters" look bad i guess.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very cool that weirdo Clinton cultists are going through that girl's twitter trying to get her in trouble for shit she said when she was 15.

I also like how the tweet in the OP mentions that Clinton is pregnant as if a college student saying dumb things to her would cause her to miscarry.

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly my point Chelsea and Meghan do absolutely nothing of worth and yet their white girl tears are enough for every Democrat to throw one of their most promising new members under the bus with a bullshit bill. These two are proof that we should have an estate tax that's 400% and only applies to the children of politicians

This is proof that you should never be allowed to have any influence on laws.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yes, they're shitting on Chelsea, which is what I said at the start.

No you said they were only here to shit on Chelsea.

But if they don't like the way Chelsea contributed to an Islamophobic pile on recently, that's actually a pertinent reason to criticise her in the wake of an Islamophobic terrorist attack!

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
So, you're worried about pearl clutching?

Personally, I don't care about Chelsea in this situation. I think she handled it well. I'm more bothered by the inconsistent way in which people here seem to be responding. There are people saying the woman is in the wrong for doing what she did. Any other circumstance like this would be rightfully called out as "tone policing".

Forget about Chelsea, I'm focusing on how the media and the public will react. And yes, the "pearl clutching," as you call it, can have severe affects. This is why politicians and companies spend crazy money on PR.

How is it inconsistent?

Honestly, my last post wasn't about the general subject but about the optics of the Muslims involved in the greater public. This was done to boost their favourability and to help Omar, right?

There are various third rails in the media which will turn the public against anyone, purely on instinct - confronting a pregnant white lady on camera is one of them, regardless of their intent. Unfortunately the students not being white hurts home here more, too. For obvious reasons.

This is what is so odd about the footage, they couldn't give Chelsea a better platform here.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
They didn't blame her for directly causing the massacre, but they did point out how islamaphobic rhetoric that she too is guilty of spreading is responsible for things like this. Considering many Muslims are walking around with targets on their backs is it really hard to understand why they confronted her? How about some empathy?

Emotions were high and words were exchanged. Is that a crime?

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it a good thing that a muslim woman gets smeared by the media? Of course the media will eat it up because they cant help themselves tearing down women of color who dared to stand up to this helpless white lady. but its nice that you want to score political points to make the "bernie supporters" look bad i guess.
Please this girl is not an innocent more of a hypocrite as she has been calling people the f-word using the n-word and dismisses it as "I was a child" instead of apologizing for her harmful rhetoric as she claims Chelsea needs to do for hers. She deserves the backlash she is receiving

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
No you said they were only here to shit on Chelsea.

But if they don't like the way Chelsea contributed to an Islamophobic pile on recently, that's actually a pertinent reason to criticise her in the wake of an Islamophobic terrorist attack!

Responsible for the attack in NZ: Chelsea clinton.

Not responsible: the fear mongering of the alt-right and various republicans and right leaning politicans around the world.

Got it.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
She doesn't have to have anything to do with the attack to be called out for contributing to an Islamophobic narrative. It's not rocket science. Would it be nice if everyone was always polite? Sure, but sometimes this is what you have to do in order to be heard, especially when you feel like your voice is being drowned out.
US has long supported Israel as an ally, in part as a means to influence and counter regional powers which are Islamic nations. This is partly steeped in Islamophobia but I think looking at US politicians support of Israel strictly from this lens is ignoring the other factors at play which dictate geopolitics and US domestic politics. The Democratic party's (not just Clinton's) rebuke of Omar's statements is not driven by the need to silence Omar because she's a Muslim but the need to tow the decades old party line on the subject. This has been status quo for the US for decades now. I agree that this status quo is not morally acceptable, it ignores the suffering of Palestinians, blind support for Israel needs to be challenged and Omar was right to bring up this subject for debate. However to say that this is a contributor to the recent rise of Islamophobia, especially in the face of rhetoric from the Republican party over the past few decades (which has evolved over time and gotten more vitriolic) is a massive overstatement, one which is not as self-evident as you claim.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Clinton got on my damn nerves when she immediately accused omar of anti semitism but there's a time and place, and GTFO even suggesting Clinton had anything to do with that act of terror.

this women is all emotion, and not much else.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Please this girl is not an innocent more of a hypocrite as she has been calling people the f-word using the n-word and dismisses it as "I was a child" instead of apologizing for her harmful rhetoric as she claims Chelsea needs to do for hers. She deserves the backlash she is receiving
So when Harris stans for a genocidal state and gets buddy with that war criminal, Natenyahu, that's fine with you?

For some of us, standing up against crimes against humanity is only a "bit" more important than an "n" word, of which I don't recall her using.

A lot of these people dog piling concerned by antisemitism and racism tend to be not so concerned when crimes of humantity are occurring, even less concerned about getting buddy buddy with people who commits said crimes against humanity.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Responsible for the attack in NZ: Chelsea clinton.

Not responsible: the fear mongering of the alt-right and various republicans and right leaning politicans around the world.

Got it.

They can be mad at Chelsea for not being a good ally whilst simultaneously thinking the alt right is the actual perpetrator.

This isn't a very good post.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clinton got on my damn nerves when she immediately accused omar of anti semitism but there's a time and place, and GTFO even suggesting Clinton had anything to do with that act of terror.

Her rhetoric was deeply harmful to the muslim community and contributed to a general tone that normalizes Islamophobia. Trying to act like an ally now by showing up to the vigil was insulting.

this women is all emotion, and not much else.

Even if this was true, it would be completely understandable given the horrific events, no?

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On this issue, I side with Muslims.
I'm not that sympathetic to white person who recently participated in a disingenuous attack against a black Muslim woman.

Oct 25, 2017
How quickly Era goes back to stanning for crimes against humanity and Islamophobes.
Yep. I mentioned this before.
Muslims ain't shit to them. Fuck their fake sympathies. For me right now, it is the absolute equivalent to the Alt-Right using "Thoughts and Prayers".
When they fall back into defending crimes against humanity because they don't like their favourites being accused, they expect me to think they're some kind of "ally"?
And defending Israel too?
I am not surprised.

The fucking cheek...

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At some point US Muslims are going to realize respectability politics doesn't mean shit, especially when the party that "has their back" has they daggers out for Muslims overseas and within their own Party.
On this issue, I side with Muslims.
I'm not that sympathetic to white person who recently participated in a disingenuous attack against a black Muslim woman.
Same here.

Screw Chelsea Clinton and her baby daddy.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Her rhetoric was deeply harmful to the muslim community and contributed to a general tone that normalizes Islamophobia. Trying to act like an ally now by showing up to the vigil was insulting.

Even if this was true, it would be completely understandable given

understandable, no doubt but commendable? no, not really.

Chelsea Clinton ain't your enemy. Some of these post are fucking laughable.

stanning for crimes against humanity and Islamaphobes? take a step back

With you.
If she feels unfairly victimized, maybe she should think of how Omar felt.

she did, which is why they had a conversation and came to an understanding, unless Clinton said something after that I'm unaware of.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
So when Harris stans for a genocidal state and gets buddy with that war criminal, Natenyahu, that's fine with you?

I can't recall any Kamala supporter doing that on this site. Why do you assume every Kamala supporter agrees with everything she does?

For some of us, standing up against crimes against humanity is only a "bit" more important than an "n" word, of which I don't recall her using.

But antisemitism is alright when the left does it? Since when does standing up for crimes against humanity mean shrugging off anti-semitism or not being seen as such? Shouldn't you be against all racism and xenophobia? The lack of concern from the Left about this is staggering, and no, I'm not using the same measurement as the GOP or AIPAC.

A lot of these people dog piling concerned by antisemitism and racism tend to be not so concerned when crimes of humantity are occurring, even less concerned about getting buddy buddy with people commits said crimes against humanity.

This is such a black and white view, is it really that difficult to imagine people believing in all of the above? Why do you immediately jump to the absolute worst assumptions about people, than wonder why they argue back in defence?

I'll tell you this: I disagree highly with Kamala's stance with Netanyahu, and I agree with you about how bad the Israeli government is concerning human rights and what they've done with Palestine.

The fact is, the gap between us is not as wide as you're acting. What would honestly be the cost of you accepting this as a fact? Is it that hard to acknowledge you have more allies than you think in your cause?

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe she was skipping class and Kamala can have her arrested.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how different this thread would be if it was a gay man confronting a homophobic politician who showed up at a vigil the day after the Orlando massacre.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The left eating the left. Nothing new.

Anyways, blaming cc for any of this is ridiculous.
Yep, like how the democrats engaged in disingenuously disavowing a black muslim woman.

Now which is more important in the context of today's environment and the institutions and inequalities that currently exist, the tears of a white woman who weeks ago engaged in the disingenuous smear campaign against a black muslim woman, or the emotions of a young brown muslim woman, as well as the emotions of muslim people all around the world?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yep, like how the democrats engaged in disingenuously disavowing a black muslim woman.

Now which is more important in the context of today's environment and the institutions and inequalities that currently exist, the tears of a white woman who weeks ago engaged in the disingenuous smear campaign against a black muslim woman, or the emotions of a young brown muslim woman, as well as the emotions of muslim people all around the world?

The mistake you're making is assuming you have to choose between them, like it's a football match.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

Apparently the most important thing for some is using his girl as a prop to launch an attack on all Bernie supporters.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just like criticizing Israel isn't automatically anti Semitic, criticizing a Muslim for criticizing Israel isn't automatically islamophobic.

Dont get me wrong, Omar is totally right and Clinton totally wrong. But democrats like Clinton shout "antisemitism!" at ANYONE who criticizes Israel.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how different this thread would be if it was a gay man confronting a homophobic politician who showed up at a vigil the day after the Orlando massacre.
This analogy assumes that Clinton is an Islamaphobe. Do you consider the Democratic party to be Islamaphobes? Is this due to their support of Israel or denouncement of Omar's statement or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.