• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Chef's Table is not a competition show.

I've only watched three episodes and just blown away at the atmosphere of each one that I had saw. It encapsulated the personality and character of the person the episode was focused on. It's truly mesmerizing.

The episodes for Jordi Roca and Jeong Kwan...

(Any other awesome non fiction shows on Netflix?)

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
Is this a competition show or just a focus on individual chef's? I've seen the title card when the sceens of shows play (or used to if they don't do it anymore) but never actually watched.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I really have enjoyed it as well. My wife has burned through the series and I have caught a few of them. I really enjoy the cooking shows that are for entertainment but really dives deep into how and why things are cooked certain ways.

They are not afraid to start over and say that sucked I can do better.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
i've watched most of them. it's gorgeously shot, and pretty engaging, but kind of grows repetitive after awhile. and it does really tow the line of being a bit eye-rollingly pretentious. sometimes you have to hold back saying "alright settle down, it's just food".

great show overall though, well worth watching.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's beautiful but can be fairly pretentious.

So it's like when I'm looking for a recipe and I have to read someone's boring fucking story about how they went to the Andaman Islands and spent a magical evening launching sky lanterns with more annoying people, and when they got back to their beachside villa they made these chocolate cookies?

Fuck that

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's great and Netflix's best docuseries.

I'm probably going to catch flak for this, but I always thought the show was best at its peak pretentiousness. They made obvious strides to address that and focused on more homestyle chefs lately, which is great too, but the show lost its mystique in the process - it used to serve as a window into the mad geniuses that occupy 3-Michelin star restaurants (the Rocco brothers/Albert Adria are the peak examples). Although I really did enjoy the recent episode that featured the indigenous chef from the Yucatán.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Love this show, really enjoyed the baking spin off they did as well. Went to Massimo Botura's restaurant "Osteria Francescana" last November as well as Dario Chechinis dinner in Tuscany. Both were incredible experiences.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I like it. My fiancee thinks they are way up their own ass too much about cooking...and she'll pretty much watch anything cooking related, but it does get to be a bit, pretentious I guess is the right word. But whatever, I think I'm a little pretentious myself when it comes to cooking. Again, I enjoy it, but I can see how it's not for everyone.

I think if you want a good light hearted travel and food show, Somebody Feed Phil is a really nice thing to relax to.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
They made obvious strides to address that and focused on more homestyle chefs lately, which is great too, but the show lost its mystique in the process - it used to serve as a window into the mad geniuses that occupy 3-Michelin star restaurants (the Rocco brothers/Albert Adria are the peak examples).

I actually haven't felt any pretention but rather their passion for what they're doing. I can see why it would be pretentious though.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm sad sometimes that I never made it this far as a chef, because I have the skills to be noteworthy, but that's probably me and a few .hundred thousand other artists.

Sometimes you have to be in the right place.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
This show made my life worse because now I'm always looking for sorrel at groceries to no avail.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I've generally enjoyed it quite a bit. It's easy to mock though, as even for someone very into food and cooking, the presentation glorifies and glamorizes the chefs and dishes to a degree that can be over the top. For people that aren't as into that world, it probably seems even more so. But regardless, I like it overall.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
We're watching the Chef's Table BBQ miniseries right now and it's super captivating. It makes me want to dig a hole in my backyard and pretend like I could do any of it.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Was there a season of this on BBQ recently? I️ thought it was pretentious and pointless. Just stories of random peoples lives and not about the food.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great show - each episode is a documentary on the chef, where they came from, their inspiration, etc. My wife and I went through them all really quickly. The culinary world is really interesting to me.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
This show is pure magic. I adore how each episode becomes a human story told through food.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its unbearably pretentious at times, but yes, when an episode hits the right notes, its very good.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It is amazing and they just released (at least in my country) a new season focused on barbecue.

The most amazing episode for me was the one with the Korean (or other Asian nationality) monk (?) that cooks without garlic and onions. Come on what the fuck is that but hey I love it.

Bonk

Oct 25, 2017
Munich
You all should watch Jiro dreams of Sushi which is by the same people and more or less served as a template for chefs table. I think not many of its episodes reach Jiro. It is fantastic.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
It is amazing and they just released (at least in my country) a new season focused on barbecue.

The most amazing episode for me was the one with the Korean (or other Asian nationality) monk (?) that cooks without garlic and onions. Come on what the fuck is that but hey I love it.

Yeah that was Jeong Kwan of Korean descent. Was super soothing.