• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
la.eater.com

Cheesecake Factory tells landlords it won’t be able to pay rents on April 1

The chain restaurant says closed dining rooms and "extraordinary events" are the reason for not paying rents

In these unprecedented times, there are many factors that are changing on a daily basis given governmental regulations and landlord decisions to close properties. We have to take both into consideration in terms of understanding the nature of our rent obligations and with respect to managing our financial position. We have very strong, longstanding relationships with our landlords. We are certain that with their partnership, we will be able to work together to weather this storm in the appropriate manner.

Imagine if we get a rent freeze from this

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Aug 27, 2018
It would not be shocking to me if only businesses got their rent frozen while regular people didn't. It's the American way.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Landlords are just being fucking stupid at this point.

People. Can't. Work. Right. Now.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does rent freeze mean? The money is never paid? Or just delayed?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't need it guys, my apartment complex left us a note they were removing the 2.00 credit card processing fee this month! We're saved!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, is it that easy?

Sidenote: I figured Cheesecake Factory would've been gone for a while now. I didn't think they existed outside of malls (which all seem to be withering away at a rapid pace).

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have a friend who has a salon and i'm hoping she gets some sort of help. she had to shut down her business and still has to pay rent and she may not be able to open up again for who knows how many months.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some landlords have mortgages though. It's a whole chain reaction of things.

that's why there should also be a mortgage freeze. That's why a freeze should be coordinated top to bottom, because, yeah it's complex and intertwined, but it's also pretty much necessary right now. Either it happens with coordination, it happens naturally as people run out of money and can't pay.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's why there should also be a mortgage freeze. That's why a freeze should be coordinated top to bottom, because, yeah it's complex and intertwined, but it's also pretty much necessary right now. Either it happens with coordination, it happens naturally as people run out of money and can't pay.

I'm all for freeze, but at some point it ends up with people not being able to afford groceries.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rent Freeze needs to happen everywhere. Landlords do not have to pay any taxes or other costs for that time.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans: "We love our small businesses"

Small businesses: "We can't pay rent"

Republicans: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about landlords has me remembering this AMAZING diatribe from an Airbnb landlord and its just like fucking high performance art. LOL

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the rent freeze ends up getting precipitated by the Cheesecake Factory of all fucking things.

I'm all for it man. Landlords are fucking parasites. Fuck em.

If it'll happen, of course this would be the likely catalyst. Peoples' grievances will always fall on deaf ears, but a private business? Those get any accommodation they ask for.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
have you not noticed that the government has shut down lots of privately owned businesses in the last few weeks? There's sort of this extreme circumstance going on that requires abnormal action.
Unless they can get lenders to offer deferment and put a freeze on local tax collection, I don't see that happening. All of these counties have only put off evictions, not rent collection.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't we about to pass legislation that will get those people "unemployment" + 600 dollars from the fed?

checks won't start rolling out until May from what I read. People need to eat now.

hey look. I'm not defending landlords. There are your mega corporation landlords that are flush with money and can afford not to charge rent for a long while and then there's people who probably are leveraged on property taxes and mortgages trying to play the monopoly game.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Our son lives in an off campus rental while away at college. Already stopped the payments last week.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Saw a similar article about Subway and Mattress Firm notifying their landlords they won't pay starting in April as well.

Wonder if this will kick off a new mortgage crisis?

Too bad individuals can't just stop paying rent and mortgages right now like these corporations are going to do :/

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
checks won't start rolling out until May from what I read. People need to eat now.

hey look. I'm not defending landlords. There are your mega corporation landlords that are flush with money and can afford not to charge rent for a long while and then there's people who probably are leveraged on property taxes and mortgages trying to play the monopoly game.

The 1200 checks won't be rolling out until May. They could still file for unemployment in the meantime.

If we had rent and mortgages frozen that wait until May looks a lot more bearable to a lot of people.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, one of the first things I did was tell my tenants that rent was off for the time being since I figured a mortgage freeze would have to happen.

Hopefully this has a big effect forcing our government to make it so for everyone.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to the "rent freeze" that will occur and then result in a full reimbursement + interest to the landlords when the freeze expires.

"Congrats you saved 3 months of rent! Now you owe us 3 months + interest all at once!"

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, is it that easy?

Sidenote: I figured Cheesecake Factory would've been gone for a while now. I didn't think they existed outside of malls (which all seem to be withering away at a rapid pace).

They are mostly in malls, which is why I'm not sure how this will work. Malls are barely scraping by with lots of empty store space.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
That's what I'm dealing with. I have to pay almost $10,000 for our monthly lease, right now for March which we've been closed most of now, and its looking like good chance we will be closed all of April, so that's $20,000 in rent I have to pay while my business is forced closed cause of all of this. I have to keep paying this as per my lease if we are forced to shut down in May also? Longer? I have a lease till Feb, I have to basically be bleeding money and if I just closed shop I pay a huge penalty to break my lease.