• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

anastiel

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
The IGN team tried their hands at the early builds of Baldur's Gate I & II and Planescape Torment / Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions on PS4 (games release on Oct 15)!

here are a handful of classic RPGs built on the Infinity engine and based on the vintage Dungeons & Dragons experience that turned out not only to be some of the best D&D roleplaying games ever made but some of the best roleplaying games of all time. Games like Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale, still pull on those nostalgia heartstrings 20 years later, and they're making another comeback.

Watch 10 minutes of the console gameplay

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-gameplay-on-ps4

Last edited:

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I have been waiting for more footage of these on console. Still debating between PS4 and Switch but I am playing through Pillars of Eternity on PS4 now and I am super stoked to go through the classics!

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I just noticed Neverwinter Nights says it has multiplayer. How does that work for a game like these or does Neverwinter play a lot differently?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
had no idea these were coming out

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Hmmm. I remember as a kid how amazing these games were. Not sure if time will be kind to these old gems.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Sick! Gameplay looks smooth. I'm excited to play these on the Switch or PS4 at some point down the road.

PS1 version still the best version tho

Cosmic Guru

Jan 10, 2019
London, UK
I've been playing BG on XB and posted this on my other forum:

Thankfully it rained a lot yesterday so making it easy to spin up BG. Bear in mind I've played this in a variety of formats:

• the original 4/5 cd version on PC, buggy as that version was;
  • the ee version on iPad from day one v1.0 (3 hours to download it over some shitty cafe wifi) (probably the most experience with this one and certainly the most recent);
  • the ee version on steam.
Compared to the above, the console version feels a little old fashioned, not necessarily in a bad way. The iOS version is incredibly fast and flashy on a suitable screen but can be a little tricky at times with entrances and with differentiating between taps and longer holds.

With this you forgo quick saves and only have 10 save slots (sounds fine unless you have multiple characters on the go), plus one auto save at the edge of an area.

Control is pretty easy and just takes a little time to get acquainted:
  • Pause is the menu button on the XB controller, and this allows you to give individual instructions in combat as for other versions;
  • Selecting any of the UI items from the left hand side of the screen (inventory, spell book etc) is via the right trigger and the right bumper moves between the characters;
  • inventory management is pretty easy since characters who can use an item are highlighted, the impact on THACO and AC is identified immediately, and again you use the right bumper to transfer things - opening bags of holding and splitting stacks are handled with the y button;
  • Re-arranging your party or creating sub groups is possible via the left trigger but that action will be used more frequently to toggle AI on or off;
  • Display and other options seem very similar or maybe identical to the IoS version - you can select when the game auto pauses, whether to have different coloured circles around your team members (I really like this) etc etc;
  • Finding the tiny "hidden" items and navigating doors and stairs is extremely easy - just use the left stick to identify what you want to action;
  • Font size is absolutely fine even without increasing it to the max -> lying on the couch playing this is totally feasible
  • For many menus when finished you click the right stick and confirm rather than having to negotiate all around them.
I think the old fashioned aspects come from the heavy grey stone feel to the UI, the rumble as you land a critical hit, the appearance of the spell book... just various things. It also feels a bit "sticky" at places and actually froze once which isn't good.

Regardless, I rolled an assassin, a palladin and an illusionist and took the last all the way down to the entrance of the Nashkel mines yesterday. Not sure whether to rock on there or make my way back to High Hedge for some shopping first.

Still finding bits and pieces in this I've not encountered before e.g if you protect Prism so that he completes his master work and it happens to be night you see exactly what he did....

Also that is just one quest where there are a number of ways of completing it.

Finally (for now). Who nowadays would be batshit crazy enough to still introduce new companions after dozens of hours of play?

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I remember getting Baldurs Gate 2 as a child. I loved that instruction booklet, although everything was in english. I never got far in the game. I think I owe it to myself to play through it someday.

Do the PS4 versions have trophies?

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot this was releasing imminently. I feel like I'm getting gouged at ÂŁ34 per collection but the games are undeniably fantastic and I want to support the effort.
I remember getting Baldurs Gate 2 as a child. I loved that instruction booklet, although everything was in english. I never got far in the game. I think I owe it to myself to play through it someday.

Do the PS4 versions have trophies?
They do.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can't watch right now, so I wanted to ask if you can still write your own journal entries in BG1 and if BG2 ever had that feature?

I wish more games would do it as simple as it is.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting forever to see if they would add controller support to the PC version. I saw this was on sale and have been playing it on the PS5.

The controller interface is actually quite excellent. I was really surprised at how well it works. I actually think that many parts of it are a better interface than M&KB- you can directly control the party with a move stick, and the inventory is really fast to use with the dpad. My only issue is that pause is on the start button which is kind of a brutal button to be constantly pushing on the DualSense, so I've been using my old PS4 controller. It would have been perfect to put it on middle pad press.

But if you are interested in the game I definitely recommend picking it up for $15.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh ... Not a series of games I'd have ever expected to come to consoles.
They're all great games! I hope people check in to them. BG2 in particular is one of the best CRPGs ever.

Now that I think about it. Since they're coming to consoles can we still call them CRPGs? 🤔

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I would go as far as saying better but I played through a good chunk of BG (15 hours or so) on a controller and it was a perfectly reasonable way to play these games.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Why is it so hard to bring console controls over to PC for these kinds of games? Even Pillars didn't get controller support after the console port was done.

The major work to get it working on the controller is already done. These games don't even have the online excuse Diablo 3 had. (Still salty about that one... just disable the ranking on controller or have one for each control type)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I would go as far as saying better but I played through a good chunk of BG (15 hours or so) on a controller and it was a perfectly reasonable way to play these games.

Directly controlling your party with an analog move stick is much better for me than the constant click/scroll map/click scroll map of the M&KB interface.

But yeah, other parts suffer somewhat. The lack of hotkeys for spells... and the simple addition of having the selection cursor wrap around to the other end when at its limits on the bottom bar would have made everything flow so much better.

Overall though the positives and negatives pretty much even themselves out making this one of the better controller interfaces I've used on a CRPG

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard to bring console controls over to PC for these kinds of games? Even Pillars didn't get controller support after the console port was done.

The major work to get it working on the controller is already done. These games don't even have the online excuse Diablo 3 had. (Still salty about that one... just disable the ranking on controller or have one for each control type)

Usually it's that the publisher of the game farms out the conversion work to a third party, and the original developer doesn't want to waste time or money on porting those changes into the original game.

It's incredibly frustrating. Luckily more and more developers are realizing that controller support is a big selling point (or not having it is a non-starter) for their evolving and expanding potential customer base.

Jul 7, 2021
Inventory management and spell and ability deployment are nightmarish bad with a gamepad.

The only way you would deny that is if you've never used a mouse and keyboard for a game like this before.

Direct control is meh, I can go either way, but the rest make it a pretty frustrating experience.