• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't followed much of this, but I've heard for a while about Uber and WeWork's struggles.

Is this other stuff true? O_o

I've decided to do this now because I know all of these goodies will be disappearing very soon — from my phone, from your phone and from the overall economy.

The reason is simple. Remember all of those IPOs that were supposed to bring a tsunami of tech wealth to wipe out what's left of the Bay Area's housing, lifestyle and culture this year?

Yeah, that's not how it went.

Uber was supposed to have the biggest IPO of the year. Instead its stock has dropped 30% since that IPO, it's laying off hundreds of employees, reporting billions of dollars' worth of losses, and fighting the state of California to avoid paying benefits to its drivers. Analysts are saying that Uber and its closest competitor, Lyft, have "no path to profitability."

WeWork — another company that was supposed to lead to massive "liquidity events" — was the latest to stumble into this crucible. For years, co-founder Adam Neumann put on a song-and-dance show so good, WeWork had a $47 billion valuation. Then regular investors got a look at the company's laughable prospectus and dreadful financials. Now Neumann is out of a job and WeWork is out of the IPO race altogether.

Suspending the need to schedule basic daily tasks, like cooking your own meals, because you can just get another coupon from a meal delivery app?

Need I remind you how suddenly Munchery closed its on-demand meal service earlier this year?

The party can't last forever, and this isn't a tragedy. Some form of honesty — or, failing that, profitability — should remain a basic business tenet for companies looking to survive.

But at some point, the venture capital subsidies are going to run out, and we'll all be left to pay the true cost of conveniences that were, historically, luxuries.

I don't usually make article threads like these.. so if I pasted too much from the article, let me know.....and I'll edit it. But there is more in there.

Edit-

Just finished reading this one and it's more informative than the article in the OP, IMO.

www.theatlantic.com

The Millennial Urban Lifestyle Is About to Get More Expensive

As WeWork crashes and Uber bleeds cash, the consumer-tech gold rush may be coming to an end.

Last edited:

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still afraid of using those apps because they're largely unlicensed, libertarian wet dream programs that don't really give benefits to their 'employees'

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uber the company might go away, the concept of ride sharing won't. You can't put that genie back in the bottle.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could someone ELI5 why these companies aren't doing well

Because they rely on wholly exploitative and unsustainable business models and sleight of hand, and exist mostly as a race to the cash out moment. They are not meant to grow and last, but to maintain enough of a successful appearance until the dupes drop the money.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Uber and Lyft still havent figured out how to turn a profit, right? They're just living off of investor money from what I understand.

I think I read something similar. My understanding is that if they don't get a hold of the self-driving cars market, Uber and Lyft will eventually run out of money and fold.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Waitr is the one around me and all points show that it's belly up. Had a lot of stock in them. Luckily I cashed out when it was over $13 in March, a couple months later it's sub $1.

They're just not profitable.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
These companies tried to upend and outskirt the basic fundamentals of what makes a business last.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand the economics of these businesses at all, but in the completely opposite way.

How can Uber NOT make money? It is an app, and the app works, and it's basically done. Every time I order an Uber I pay the company some money for basically no work on their part. Give the driver a cut, take a cut yourself, call it good. It should be easily profitable. Same logic applies to the rest of these delivery apps. I get that it costs money to update and maintain the app etc but c'mon... What am I missing here?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still unsure as to what these things actually are. Uber is basically just a taxi service right and the food stuff is you pay someone to collect your takeaway for you if the place you're ordering from doesn't deliver? I've never been in a situation where any of that sounds useful, no wonder they're failing.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I listened to a WSJ podcast a couple of weeks ago, and one of the big issues is that these companies are prioritizing growth over sustainability. The true value of a ride from point A to point B, for example, is partially being subsidized by Uber and Lyft in order to entice people to sign up. So either prices will eventually go up, and investors know that when they do they'll be far fewer people taking those rides. The same goes for all of the delivery apps and WeWork.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still unsure as to what these things actually are. Uber is basically just a taxi service right and the food stuff is you pay someone to collect your takeaway for you if the place you're ordering from doesn't deliver? I've never been in a situation where any of that sounds useful, no wonder they're failing.

"I don't use it so it's not useful."

Infallible thought process.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Thrilled at the prospect of trading:

"I can see exactly where my driver is on GPS" to "Your taxicab will be there in 45 minutes... or not, 'cause the driver might just flake out and leave you, and there's no way to track him."

Dammit.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Uber keeps getting fucked by the government at every turn, albeit in a lot of cases its deserved, but even on underserved stuff.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the economics of these businesses at all, but in the completely opposite way.

How can Uber NOT make money? It is an app, and the app works, and it's basically done. Every time I order an Uber I pay the company some money for basically no work on their part. Give the driver a cut, take a cut yourself, call it good. It should be easily profitable. Same logic applies to the rest of these delivery apps. I get that it costs money to update and maintain the app etc but c'mon... What am I missing here?

You aren't paying what the service is really worth as Uber isn't charging what it's really worth.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
You could make a great argument that these are the 2000 era version of the classic pyramid scheme where the sustainability is completely dependent on growth.

Oct 25, 2017
How can Uber NOT make money? It is an app, and the app works, and it's basically done. Every time I order an Uber I pay the company some money for basically no work on their part. Give the driver a cut, take a cut yourself, call it good.

Hint: the price you see as a rider is not the cost of the ride to Uber. They pay the drivers more than the rate you see otherwise it's not at all sustainable for the drivers and no one would drive for them.

Uber basically loses money on every ride you take.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how a company like Lyft isn't profitable. There's like no overhead; they pay the drivers shit.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Uber/Lyft is typically cheaper than a taxi. Food delivery apps are really convenient if you are on lunch break but do not want to go to and from a restaurant for your food.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
More ads in the app and in the cars lol
where do you live, what do you do

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the short version is that they just aren't charging enough money for their services to cover all their costs. They are trying to undercut taxi companies and don't want to shift to a more viable pricing model until they have killed off taxis.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Hint: the price you see as a rider is not the cost of the ride to Uber. They pay the drivers more than the rate you see otherwise it's not at all sustainable for the drivers and no one would drive for them.

Uber basically loses money on every ride you take.

Hmm I mean the rate is already pretty high... When I uber to the airport like 10 miles away it is usually around $35 or $40. A short trip in town costs like $15 usually. If I were a driver I'd be happy with the rate the rider paid minus a small cut to the company. The cut to Uber wouldn't need to be that much since the volume is so high. Not saying you're wrong here, but it's still working against my intuitions. I Uber a lot for work since I'm usually out of town and obviously don't have a car with me. Maybe the fares are a lot cheaper outside of big cities.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I think I read something similar. My understanding is that if they don't get a hold of the self-driving cars market, Uber and Lyft will eventually run out of money and fold.
Thank god the government isnt stealing money from rich people and putting it into, I dunno, transportation infrastructure and we instead get a society where rich people throw money at flawed concepts that require solutions that havent been invented yet in order to work.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Uber is a taxi service that is usually much faster, easier to access, and cheaper than actual taxis (and is in some areas where taxis are rare).

I mean, just because you don't need a taxi yourself, it's kind of baffling why you can't grasp why that's useful.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Buy the entire supply of apples for $1.50 each and then resell them for $1 while living of VC money. That's practically how Uber works.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I mean the rate is already pretty high... When I uber to the airport like 10 miles away it is usually around $35 or $40. A short trip in town costs like $15 usually. If I were a driver I'd be happy with the rate the rider paid minus a small cut to the company. The cut to Uber wouldn't need to be that much since the volume is so high. Not saying you're wrong here, but it's still working against my intuitions. I Uber a lot for work since I'm usually out of town and obviously don't have a car with me. Maybe the fares are a lot cheaper outside of big cities.
Uber basically undercut the tacos here considerably. It went from $55+tip to just $25 to $35.

The prices will likely rise in the future but you can't beat the convenience of calling from an app.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't paying what the service is really worth as Uber isn't charging what it's really worth.

Exactly.

The plan is always to subsidize until you have market control or near market control, where everyone relies on you for a service, and then begin to nudge the prices up. Venture capital is basically an investment to get to this point so they can then reap the rewards of control over an industry.

For Uber and Lyft, the problem isn't just other taxi services. You essentially need to get public transit to collapse in on itself and people to stop driving themselves, or to be cheaper than filling up a tank of gas yourself (which means subsidizing prices).

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The thing you're missing is that the actual costs for Uber are more than what they're charging you.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
For individual rides Uber takes a percentage.

But there are costs outside of the actual ride. They have to pay:
-promos for new drivers
-promos for new and existing riders
-server traffic
-employees
-r&d

OP
OP
Afrikan

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed Uber prices have gone up.

I don't get the discounts I used to get, which makes sense because I use the services more often than I used to. But I've noticed certain routes have gone up. Hell at times the app even warns you before you confirm, that there was a price..lol.

I used to use Lyft exclusively over Uber because it was always cheaper.... but then Uber was always cheaper, and still is. (For me at least)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Because they are losing money on every ride. Their plan was to come in, drive out taxi companies with cheapness and convenience, and then start raising prices, but their service was replicable and now they can't afford to raise prices. People will just go to Lyft or something else.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
No I get the part about prioritizing growth by subsidizing via investor money and driving competitors out of business. I work for a startup that is in process of doing this.

What was counterintuitive to me is that they are actually paying the drivers more then they are charging me. Seemed to me the price was already high enough to satisfy both Uber and the drivers but apparently not.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Food delivery services are pretty bad in general. Hello Fresh in particular has been a nightmare. I signed up once for a free trial and canceled before the trial ended. They've "accidentally" re-signed me up five times. I've been charged each time and have argued until they refunded the charge. I don't know what to do if it happens again. Like is it worth legal action? It feels like harassment.

Shipt, Uber Eats, Uber, Lyft, and Door Dash have all provided decent to good experiences. I am happy with them and would feel the loss if they disappeared. At the same time, it feels like the predictions in this article have been obvious for a long time.