• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I probably won't have time to play this for a while due to La-Mulana 2 but it looks great. Somehow I only just learned about it recently.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty excited to hear how this turned out. I remember really enjoying the demo around the time the KS started and that was ages ago.

I don't think the procedural stuff is going to be a problem. It feels like they modeled themselves after Spelunky's design philosophy which is the correct way to do a procedural game (imo).

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I might end up picking this up on Humble if it ends up being ~$16 with the monthly discount. I just want to read more impressions.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Managed to find the best weapon in the game, the whip of course, just loving the range on it so it's serving me well at the moment.

I've just packed up after a few hours on it, left it just as I unlocked slide but I was really getting into it.

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna get home just in time for this to unlock, looking forward to getting started.

Anyone know if you can change difficulty at any time, or are you locked in once you pick normal or hard?

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get some of you. Steam has refunds if you think the rest of us that have played it are wrong you can get your money back.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get some of you. Steam has refunds if you think the rest of us that have played it are wrong you can get your money back.
1) Steam doesn't have the best discount, so I refunds won't save me. 2) I'm not doubting anyone, I just haven't heard any impressions from people who have played it to completion. I don't really care about early game impression.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
1) Steam doesn't have the best discount, so I refunds won't save me. 2) I'm not doubting anyone, I just haven't heard any impressions from people who have played it to completion. I don't really care about early game impression.

Quoting my reply from another thread about game impressions, but I finished it a few days ago and was quite pleased overall despite the game having a couple of faults. At that price point I think it's well worth it if you like games of the genre. If you have any specific questions about the game let me know.

It's pretty similar to classic Metroidvania games, namely Symphony of the Night (which I believe is the game designer's favourite game of all time). I'm not actually a huge fan of the genre so I haven't played too many, but it also reminds me of Super Metroid.

• You have a main hub you go back to where you can buy equipment, upgrade spells, craft items, sell items, get side-quests, play mini-games and rest.
  • There is a main story that you continuously progress through and a lot of optional quests, some of which are quite cryptic. You get rewards at various checkpoints but it's not necessarily the main drive, the focus is more on clearing content for how it might differ.
  • The game is broken down in different areas, each with their own unique Visual style, theme, enemies, loot, puzzles, mini-bosses and bosses.
  • You get 8 different utility upgrades throughout the game, at a pace of 1 per area or so, which is useful in its own right (ie: Slide that can also be used as an attack) but mostly unlocks locked off areas in the previous zone and lets you access the next one. You will have to do some backtracking but there's a helpful map and a lot of teleport points to get around.
  • There are a variety of weapon types with their own unqiue attack animations, and increasingly better weapons for each type with some of them having unique abilities. You can also equip armor, with most of it being stat focused but some having unique abilities like summoning a pet.
  • Combat is pretty straight forward where it's about timing your attack with the enemy attack pattern. You're not pulling off combos, attack chains or fancy special moves here (though there are spells that use mana, once again similar to SOTN). There is some depth to it like doing Jump Attacks to keep momentum, or cancelling your Backstep into an attack to retreat while attacking.
  • A good chunk of the game envolves platforming, though it's not pixel perfect frustration but it does require some thought to your actions as the traps can be quite deadly. As you get more utility power-ups, especially the wall jump and double jump, it'll get easier and flow better. There's some clever moving platform rooms that took me some time but were enjoyable to clear.
  • Killing enemies gives you exp which levels you up and strengthens all your Stats by a small amount, no skill tree or stat builds here outside of gear though. You can find quite a few secrets that give you permanent boosts, and sometimes either let you make choices or give you a random boost.
  • The randomly generated aspect of the game is just in regards to room set-up, both within the room itself to determine platforms/enemy placement and also with how the rooms that connect checkpoints are placed. You still go through the game in the order designed by the devs, but if you do another playthrough you have to relearn enemy & puzzle placement, unless you use the same world seed.
Overall it's a simple fun game that will net you about a dozen hours in the first playthrough, and has decent replayability to the randomisation, different weapons/spells and numerous secrets. The pixel art visuals are the biggest charm, but progressing through very different environments and clearing puzzles has been a joy. Hope that gives a better idea of what the game is like.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Quoting my reply from another thread about game impressions, but I finished it a few days ago and was quite pleased overall despite the game having a couple of faults. At that price point I think it's well worth it if you like games of the genre. If you have any specific questions about the game let me know.
Thanks for this, it really does help.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I don't usually get Steam games right when they release but for some reason this game "downloads" in about a second and when I try to launch, I get the very expected error message "missing executable". This happening for anyone else?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. can't launch. missing executable. someone typed something in wrong when setting up the steam build, apparently. :p hopefully they fix it soon

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested, it looks awesome, but I'll hold to see what the mews brings in the next few months.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
It unlocked and I'm stuck at work, another 8 hours to go...

Those of you who have it already, please keep the impressions coming.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the PC version executable thing has been fixed

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep this game is legit. I was a little turned off when I heard it the dungeons were randomly generated, but after playing for about an hour and a half you couldn't tell that was the case. They really feel hand crafted. It feels so much like Symphony of the Night. It's great so far. The music sounds wonderful.

Make sure to not jump the gun in this game. I decided not to warp back into town to recover my health and save and I just lost a bit of progress.

Greed hurts.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Anyone able to get cross save working? I uploaded my save on PS4 but the vita says there isn't any saved date. I'm using the in game feature.

Otherwise game is amazing. Just downed the second boss. So much exploring. And there was a cool little puzzle to solve too.

Totally worth the money I spent on it!