• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks great, but i'm still on the fence about the procedurally generated areas. I might grab it on Steam if the reviews are positive.

Not port-begging but this is the sort of game that could sell tons on Switch

EDIT: Woah, lesson learned

61.png

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
I think this will be the last game i buy for the good ole Vita. Being crossbuy and cross-save clinched the deal for me, as i was going to grab it on Steam.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
People need to understand that most of these rooms are handcrafted to begin with. The only thing procedural is what loot you get and how they're connected.
In Chasm the rooms are all hand crafted yes and only the way they are connected is random.
So people with a irrational fear of procedural generation have nothing to fear with Chasm :P
Other games have variable amounts of randomization in them though, some have entire rooms handcrafted, others do not.

Last edited:

hypertails

Oct 25, 2017
Love the artstyle but proc-gen stuff always rubs me the wrong way. Can anyone who played through this comment on how well designed the levels felt compared to it's non-proc-gen counterparts?

I finished the game as an early access backer, and the game flow felt good to me. Every room is handcrafted, and the major progression points (new equipment/story rooms/bosses etc) are in the same places every playthrough. The only things that are procedurally generated is overall layout of the map and exactly which rooms you get in a particular playthrough.

hypertails

Oct 25, 2017
Is this more Rogue Legacy or more Spelunky?

I'm kind of getting vibes for both from the trailer.

Neither? It's very much a traditional metroidvania, playing very similarly to the modern 2d castlevanias. There's no permadeath option until you finish the game at least once, and the procedural generation is there to serve multiple playthroughs of the game.

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, I completely missed this one until now but the art looks really nice. I'm on something of a metroidvania kick right now and I just finished Hollow Knight over the weekend so I think I'll give this game a go. Great OT.

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, the procedural generation combined with proper metroidvania style is the reason why I got interested in this game to begin with. It's its distinguishing feature compared to all the other metroidvanias we have already now.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm installing this tonight to try. Hopefully it'll run well on my old computer (it should..., lol)

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay is super good so far. I sort of wish it had fast swapping for the melee weapons as it does for spells, since each weapon feels pretty distinct. But that's a minor quibble.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
So excited for this its funny that I am way more interesting in this genre than I was as a kid. I never really could get into Castlevania or Metroid but I did like Axiom Verge a lot and looking forward to this one.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I really thought the procedurally generated map was like everything, not likw how is just being how the rooms are connected. That made it an instant buy for me, though following guides can be hard with this game :p

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I've been waiting for what feels like 4 years for this. I hope it's been worth it.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I've been waiting for this game for a long time.
Same, it's hard to believe it's actually releasing tomorrow.

It seems like this is a pretty prominent example of a game baking in development for an extremely long time. I remember playing a version at indiecade that had bonfire leveling up before procedurally generates areas were in the game.

I wonder how it'll do...

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

In this video, the dev said that if you want you can lock the map/world and it will stay the same until the end

It look fun but not good

Even for a tutorial level it felt bland and I see little unique to the genre of metroidvania beside lore/graphic

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice I was wondering this morning if someone would make an OT for this game :)

As a backer I already have access to the game I'm starting this tonight .
Il have a hard time juggling with Octopath Traveller and this lol.

My hope is the game is a success and they release a physical version.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice I was wondering this morning if someone would make an OT for this game :)

As a backer I already have access to the game I'm starting this tonight .
Il have a hard time juggling with Octopath Traveller and this lol.

My hope is the game is a success and they release a physical version.
seems like a great fit to alternate between long Octopath sessions :D thats what ill do!

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Love the artstyle but proc-gen stuff always rubs me the wrong way. Can anyone who played through this comment on how well designed the levels felt compared to it's non-proc-gen counterparts?
I played a couple hours last night. If nobody told you it was procedurally generated you would have never guessed. They spent a huge amount of time tweaking and retooling the mapping engine to make it feel right.

Is this more Rogue Legacy or more Spelunky?

I'm kind of getting vibes for both from the trailer.
It stitches prebuilt rooms together akin to Rogue Legacy (albeit far better) and that's where the similarities end.

Gameplay is super good so far. I sort of wish it had fast swapping for the melee weapons as it does for spells, since each weapon feels pretty distinct. But that's a minor quibble.
Yeah. I also wish you could remap the controls. Backdashing on Y and crouching with dpad down was fine for Castlevania but controller standards have come a long way.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
If you're waiting for PS4/Vita reviews, those may come a little later. Press still don't have codes from Sony yet, so a lot of us are doing reviews on PC in the meantime.

I'm personally holding true to the Vita release to be one of the few media folks to cover that.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal

I finished the game and honestly the only way to tell that it's procedurally generated is by doing another playthrough. It's important to note that it only applies in regards to room set-up, both within the room itself to determine Platforms & Enemy placement and also with how the rooms that connect checkpoints are placed. You still go through the game in the order designed by the devs, but if you do another playthrough you have to relearn most of the platforming jumps and the enemy & puzzle placement, unless you use the same world seed. You won't be constantly running into useless dead-ends or end up with pointless padding, it flows very well.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Upgrades/equipment permanent? Or is everything reset for runs? Does it have runs? Kind of still confused.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Upgrades/equipment permanent? Or is everything reset for runs? Does it have runs? Kind of still confused.
I believe when you start a new save the layout for each major area is selected then stays that way even if you die. It's only when you start a new game the layouts change. Upgrades and equipment are permanent.