• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
www.ajc.com

June 28, 2020: Chase issues explanation for balances

Chase Bank said a technical issue caused incorrect balances to be displayed in customers’ checking accounts Sunday, and the issue has been resolved.

Chase Bank account holders furious as thousands of dollars go missing: 'Want my money back plus extra for breach'

While there is no statement from Chase bank yet, claims suggest 'a server problem or possible glitch' led to displaying incorrect account balances

Chase Bank customers nationally are reporting missing/added funds to their accounts Sunday morning, with some app outages.

QEwP.gif

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
What the fuck... I just checked and am missing $3300 in savings. They better get this shit sorted out quick.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Checked my shit out of FEAR, shows correct amount in checking/savings but says that "Balance Updates Currently Unavailable"

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah I'm missing a couple hundred. Or I think that the latest value on the app is from 2 days ago (before my paycheck), not the actual current balance. And it says "balance updates currently unavailable." What the hell.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
uuuuuuuum what the fuck my entire paycheck is gone

edit: assuming they will get it sorted but I want to air my other issue with Chase. So, they like most US banks have their call centers in the Philippines. So why the FUCK are they only accepting calls during US business hours Monday through Friday like they are working out of a log cabin in New Hampshire???

As anyone here who banks with them knows, Chase's FAVORITE thing to do is halt transactions it deems "possible fraud" which it turns out is a LOT of online transactions. Things I need to buy RIGHT NOW I can't because I need to call them and get them to authorize it and I can't do that outside of US business hours. It's beyond ridiculous for a multi national bank with branches in 100 countries.

Last edited:

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I had ~$18 added to my account randomly yesterday. Said something like "offer redemption" when I did no such thing.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I noticed a random $4.38 "Cash Redemption" that I couldn't figure out for the life of me since even though I have an Amazon rewards credit card I definitely didn't redeem any points recently.

I'd lose my shit entirely if I had $3k+ disappear, yikes! Hope they fix this with the quickness

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It probably should go without saying, but for the naive: if you are one of those who've had money added to your account, don't spend it.

Call your bank and report it. It isn't "free" money. Banks do not fuck around. You will be forced to repay any errors.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
That's horrible, holy shit.

I'm not panicking or anything since it's a widespread problem that is likely to be fixed. Plus it's savings for an emergency (and for Transformers but I don't like to admit that as much), so I don't need it urgently.

But seeing that much missing from your account is a weird thing to wake up to.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like my balance totals are rolled back to a few days ago. Even though Fridays paycheck is listed in the transactions, my totals are from before then and it isnt included

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I have chase credit cards and the balances are the same. Hope this all gets sorted out for those with checking/savings account.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
A 23 year old cocaine addict with a Ferrari just decided to use your money for a penis enlargement, victims

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, missing $700 in my checking and $700 in my savings.

Yea, looks like some cheks rolled backed.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda curious to those affected. If you go back to older statements or transaction history does it have a correct balances for that time?

I'm involved with the audit of banks, this is something that I have never seen happen before (only have 4 years of experience at a limited number of banks though). Cash arriving at the wrong account yes, but actual balances misstated without this being reflected in the transaction history is pretty new.

I wouldn't be too worried about your funds, as the transaction history is reproducably even if Chase is completely incompentent IT wise. As interbank transfers are reproducable through swift messages. Transfers between chase accounts can be rolled back in the worst case scenario.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
To the people missing or receiving money. Does the number at least make sense? Like a recent check amount missing or a recent purchase added?

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is how the banks give themselves another stimulus...

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They reverted my checking account back to Thursday's balance. Mine just changed back to normal a few minutes ago.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Due to a glitch that lasted for a few hours on a Sunday morning? Good luck finding a company that something like this never happens with tbh...
I have been banking since 1996, let's say three different banks, have banked with an online bank since 2000. I have never experienced a "glitch" that fucked with account balances.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I have been banking since 1996, let's say three different banks, have banked with an online bank since 2000. I have never experienced a "glitch" that fucked with account balances.
Do you bank with chase?
2018: https://www.businessinsider.com/cha...ives-access-to-strangers-bank-accounts-2018-2
2019: https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...fecting-some-customers-nationwide/1881762001/

On the whole, is banking probably the most reliable thing to stay up? Yes. But it seems chase has had annual issues the past couple years and they are just one conglomerate

If you want to fixate on the balance being wrong, that may be unique...but I would argue having access to someone else's account is potentially far more damaging, legality/compliance issues being ignored.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Do you bank with chase?
2018: https://www.businessinsider.com/cha...ives-access-to-strangers-bank-accounts-2018-2
2019: https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...fecting-some-customers-nationwide/1881762001/

On the whole, is banking probably the most reliable thing to stay up? Yes. But it seems chase has had annual issues the past couple years and they are just one conglomerate

If you want to fixate on the balance being wrong, that may be unique...but I would argue having access to someone else's account is potentially far more damaging, legality/compliance issues being ignored.
No, I have never banked with Chase.