• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Just mad the "plebs" are making money from crypto, it's always nice to see tweets & people like struggling single mothers making some big bux from dogecoin & what not.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even just from the perspective of "forcing hands", crypto could eventually be forced to disappear but perhaps be recognized as a disruptive force that accelerated improving humanity's base-level economic condition. But I'm not a doom-and-gloom kind of person, so maybe I'm just misguided, I can admit that much.

I agree on that at least.

The financial systems the world runs off are massively, massively outdated. I believe anything that is a potential advantage of crypto currency could be done without it (and will), but it is also true that it isn't being done today.

Anything that pushes change and innovation in that regard is welcome, so long as the end result doesn't have the same negatives.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to disagree. Bitcoin's just an artificial form of currency created by people, which is vastly different from every other form of currency that formed with the Big Bang.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Currency doesn't hold value. Excluding the "dead" ones for the benefit of your claim, show me an example of a single fiat currency that has held its value over time. They bleed you dry and there are a multitude of reasons why that are still being actively studied. Any investor will tell you how stupid it is to use fiat currency as a store of value - the most important property of money.

No I wouldn't like the world to have gone to the shitter during COVID. We seem to have so far navigated that fairly well, but the results of the measures employed will have far-reaching consequences we haven't experienced yet. This is ongoing and certainly an important test. We will see what happens. I'm not super confident.

While this does seem easy to say in theory, actually doing it is another matter. That's what I'm talking about. The question is when does it become enough of a threat to execute that in a manner than doesn't benefit bad-actors. That hasn't been solved and I don't believe it can be.

I don't agree. But I would be interested in your explanations for why you think those things. Better to provide information than be fallacious. Let's assume I have taken "high level economics classes". Now I want to be wrong, believe me. I just don't see how. Explain why for those who haven't taken these classes - it's important to do that in an argument otherwise you come across as not operating from a position of authority and understanding of said teachings.

With respect to fluctuations, we haven't really another example of a bootstrapped financial technology over a short term disruptive adoption curve. Over the short terms you're certainly correct more or less, but Bitcoin fluctuates upward at +~200% YoY since its inception. That's quite stable (as a store of value) considering what it actually is fundamentally. I don't speculate with it's USD value, but the data is clear.

I'm not sure I would say 100% wrong. I could certainly be wrong in some respects, but I do appreciate you at least attempting a debate here without using personal insults. That's a nice change.
Currency holding value is an incorrect expectation. Mildly inflationary currency is a benefit and good design. You don't own currency you own assets. It does not "bleed you dry" you are fundamentally misunderstanding the purpose of currency.

Nice admission that your ideal currency would have crashed the entire planet into famine. The death toll from deflationary currencies would have been MASSIVE.

You keep confusing a store of value (which literally could be anything) with currency. Bitcoin is a store of value so are comic books baseball cards and NFTs and tons of random shit that people think has value. Means absolutely zero and can turn on a dime because it's connected to nothing. Currency is connected to a countries GDP.

crypto is not stable as a store of value or as a currency. It's HIGHLY speculative and several high up people in our current govt have said specifically crypto may not be legal in the futureand that at minimum it will be regulated.

the biggest mistake crypto fans make is assuming crypto has intrinsic value or thatit will always recover. That is not a thing. You could wake up tomorrow and lose half or all. It's tied to nothing. That's why it's so unstable and will always be unstable.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
It's disgusting in its efficiency. Crypto in its entirety is a negative sum for humanity. It burns energy and pollutes while adding nothing to society but a convenient way to pay drug dealers, terrorists, and money launder.

I've bought weed with USD but not bitcoin.

I fear the art market has made money laundering easier for far longer than bitcoin.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Decentralization of nearly everything is the future and the only moral option in my opinion, but its not without its own unique challenges to get there. The decentralized world is without a doubt going to be unrecognizably different, but it's going to be a far better and more equitable place. Bitcoin is here to stay. Not sure about the other shitcoins, but generally the popular ones all have the same issues as fiat currencies so I don't see them lasting, either.

When the automobile was invented, the same short-sighted arguments used against Bitcoin could have been made. And yet we're all driving around instead of riding our horses - the same reasons why (and then some) are what we should be contemplating. You can all keep plugging your ears and putting your collective heads in the sand and enjoy riding your horses as long as you are able, but the rest of the world will be busy building roads for their automobiles leaving you, and your horses, in the dust. Good luck with that.
If you want to focus on decentralisation then a better analogy is that asking everyone to move to crypto is like telling everyone to buy a car instead of taking public transport. Similar resource and environmental implications too.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I agree on that at least.

The financial systems the world runs off are massively, massively outdated. I believe anything that is a potential advantage of crypto currency could be done without it (and will), but it is also true that it isn't being done today.

Anything that pushes change and innovation in that regard is welcome, so long as the end result doesn't have the same negatives.

I appreciate that. I think one good way forward is to continue testing its efficacy, but urgently consider the risks of the energy greenhouse gas costs. There may be a way to mandate Bitcoin's PoW mining to green electricity production exclusively. There are many large corporations these days that are trying to achieve net-zero emissions, but they can keep improving here toward not just net-zero but zero exactly. I believe that is more achievable than the concept of across the board banning of the technology altogether - I just don't see how the world could feasibly do that.

I'm not a fan of any crypto that doesn't use PoW - I feel like the PoS, PoST, etc. alternatives introduce many of the same issues that Bitcoin intended to solve in the first place. I also don't think there's a need for any other crypto than simply improving the Bitcoin protocol and higher layer stack.

I don't think there's a realistic scenario where humanity overall decreases or even maintains its current electricity consumption. At the same time, I don't think electricity consumption itself is useful to criticize as the most terrible root-cause of climate change or ecological impacts. Accelerated efforts in reducing the emission-cost of electricity production is far more useful an endeavour, and in my view actually feasible and achievable in the short term even with the increasing adoption of energy intensive crypto mining. Be that some sort of combination of government policy, solar, wind, hydro, salt/nuclear, etc.

I just wish all those such as yourself suggesting that there is a path toward these potential advantages alternatives that Bitcoin is actively achieving (which I believe are not only necessary but urgently required), could put forth specifics on how. I said before I'm not a doom and gloom kind of person, but I'm also not happy or confident with the way the global financial system has worked toward that whatsoever - in fact I feel like it's accelerating toward the opposite. I'm all ears and fully willing to admit I could be brutally wrong here.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can tell you as someone who works in the field of finance, there's a heavy resentment towards cryptocurrency from a lot of people in this industry just due to the sheer annoyance of being asked about it all the time by laypeople. I don't even tell people what I do anymore because if I do I know what coming: "Oh hey, should I buy Bitcoin? What do you think about it?" Every damn time it happens. It doesn't surprise me to see Charlie Munger give a very impolitic answer, he's trying to give a shareholder briefing about his business and he has to be asked about it. He's probably asked about it in every interview now.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Currency holding value is an incorrect expectation. Mildly inflationary currency is a benefit and good design. You don't own currency you own assets. It does not "bleed you dry" you are fundamentally misunderstanding the purpose of currency.

Alright. So can you please define the purposes of currency that don't agree with my assessment? It would be more useful than just saying I'm misunderstanding. Help me, and others like me, to understand. Explain it.

Nice admission that your ideal currency would have crashed the entire planet into famine. The death toll from deflationary currencies would have been MASSIVE.

Can you provide an example of a deflationary currency? I'm curious, because if that would be the result, surely there is data and examples that you can provide to prove your claim. I'm not saying you're wrong, but please at the very least show how you came to that conclusion.

You keep confusing a store of value (which literally could be anything) with currency. Bitcoin is a store of value so are comic books baseball cards and NFTs and tons of random shit that people think has value. Means absolutely zero and can turn on a dime because it's connected to nothing. Currency is connected to a countries GDP.

I'm not confusing a store of value with currency. I explained my view of the difference between money and currency by first stating the best money would be the best store of value. Can you please explain how money not storing value best is beneficial to it's purpose? And then also explain how currency losing value over time is beneficial?

crypto is not stable as a store of value or as a currency. It's HIGHLY speculative and several high up people in our current govt have said specifically crypto may not be legal in the futureand that at minimum it will be regulated.

I think you are confusing crypto with Bitcoin and would appreciate if you could make the distinction going forward as it would be helpful considering I agree in most respects as it relates to non-Bitcoin cryptocurrencies/tokens, etc. My criticism is in particular with the "high up people" in government or otherwise in the first place. So I'm not sure using their opinions is a very useful counter argument, but if you could provide them I am willing to learn.

the biggest mistake crypto fans make is assuming crypto has intrinsic value or thatit will always recover. That is not a thing. You could wake up tomorrow and lose half or all. It's tied to nothing. That's why it's so unstable and will always be unstable.

I don't agree that it is tied to nothing. It is tied to the verifiable security of its entire network and the volume of movement between itself and goods/services, etc. that it is being used to transact for them. You could wake up tomorrow and any fiat currency could be half as much. Inflation and hyperinflation are prime examples of exactly this occurring, far more often than people seem to keep suggesting. In what ways does the current global fiat system solve the issues that Bitcoin purports to solve better? You're not being specific enough in my opinion. Instability is tied to speculation and also the value of fiat itself (which I consider irrelevant over the long term).

I'll agree that over the short term during this "bootstrapping" process of adoption of new technology that instability seems to ring true, but over the "long" term of its own existence, the instability has trended upward +~200% YoY for 11.5 years now. It's being tested and it's working. How can anyone say with a straight face it is not? Everyone so far who has said what you're saying in the past has been wrong. Every single person claiming that has been proven wrong - so far. That's ignoring the alleged ethical or moral implications, but for the sake of the discussion let's be fair here. It's stored value better than any other asset, commodity or currency in history over its period of existence, and though it's somewhat instable trending toward that (for a variety of reasons I'm willing to go into in depth), it has trended upward that way nonetheless. To me, over that period, that's not only stable, but unprecedented and growing similar to any disruptive technology's adoption curves in history.

Nov 14, 2017
I don't own any crypto, but it's awesome. It democratizes electronic payments, and is a glorious fuck you to Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, etc, all of whom display varying degrees of predjudice towards online sex workers who just want to anonymously sell perfectly legal photos of their teaux and t'tahs getting covered in bodily fluids to other consenting adults.

As long as doing legal things carries any form of social stigma, I think it's hard to argue that anonymous electronic payments are anything but a fundamentally good thing.
The use of cryptocurrencies to circumvent the financial limitations of oppressive governments or private companies is undeniably an advantage. But it's misleading to call this "democratisation", which implies a guaranteed and equal ability to have input on decision-making.

I'm not speaking about "crypto", but rather Bitcoin as it exists now. There's certainly an argument to be made against competing crypto tokens and currencies that you're offering. I don't disagree there. However, there's a bigger picture that about Bitcoin specifically that I don't think people are considering very well, and certainly not with any level of articulation.

I do 110% agree that the vast majority (if not all) non-Bitcoin crypto currencies don't offer much other than a means to pump and dump USD-or-other-fiat:crypto ratios - however sound their fundamental design philosophies and execution are compared to the "first one" Bitcoin. I dislike pretty much all of them, including NFTs.

--

Money is a technology to store economic energy earned through work over time - the best money should be the asset that achieves the best "Store of Value" over time.

Currency is different than money. Currency must also be a "Store of Value", while best adhering to the below principles in order to be useful:
  • Unit of Account: Has a standard unit of measurement to define fluctuating market values.
  • Medium of Exchange: Can be used as an intermediary in exchange of goods and services.
  • Fungibility: Each unit is interchangeable with another equivalent unit or equivalent sum of smaller units.
  • Durability: Cannot be spent twice.
  • Portability: Can be carried to transfer with others.
  • Verifiability: Authenticity can be verified.
  • Divisibility: Can be subdivided into smaller units of value.
  • Scarcity: Is in limited supply to maintain or increase in value.
Given that:
  • All fiat currency is speculative and inherently Proof of Work and worse, Proof of Stake (governance via wealth).
  • Fiat currency is "secured" via a carefully balanced combination of monopolized proprietary (closed-source) central-banking networks, quantitative easing measures, fractional-reserve policies, and sheer military might - quantifying its security's ecological impact is very difficult but must be done for a proper point of comparison.
  • All fiat currency historically goes to zero because it's poorly designed and benefits no one but the rich and powerful who eventually debase it into oblivion due to greed - every single time, without exceptions. What characteristics of your nation's fiat currency makes you think the same thing won't happen to yours?
  • Bitcoin is the best innovation to money in human history. It fixes nearly every problem of fiat currencies' and "Store of Value" assets/commodities' (such as gold and silver) adherence to the above principles, simultaneously.
  • "Banning it" would require unified global totalitarian government intervention. Without perfect global consensus and execution, governments risk debasing their own fiat currency even faster while increasing the value of every non-banning participants' holdings. Like trying to ban TCP/IP during the early days of Internet adoption. This has already happened in a few places and it didn't work out too well for them.
  • "Stopping it" would require turning off the entire internet + power grid worldwide - generally only the Sun is capable of that.
Your only realistic option to "stop it" is to pray for a Coronal Mass Ejection/Carrington-level Event, which would introduce many other disasters along with it and likely result in a worldwide apocalyptic hell-scape far quicker than anything climate change could muster.

Decentralization of nearly everything is the future and the only moral option in my opinion, but its not without its own unique challenges to get there. The decentralized world is without a doubt going to be unrecognizably different, but it's going to be a far better and more equitable place. Bitcoin is here to stay. Not sure about the other shitcoins, but generally the popular ones all have the same issues as fiat currencies so I don't see them lasting, either.

When the automobile was invented, the same short-sighted arguments used against Bitcoin could have been made. And yet we're all driving around instead of riding our horses - the same reasons why (and then some) are what we should be contemplating. You can all keep plugging your ears and putting your collective heads in the sand and enjoy riding your horses as long as you are able, but the rest of the world will be busy building roads for their automobiles leaving you, and your horses, in the dust. Good luck with that.
I'll be up front and say I'm not interested in a prolonged back and forth on this, so apologies if this does end up a few replies deep and I check out, but this post is a good example of how people can clearly have done a lot of reading and put together their thoughts coherently whilst also getting a bunch of fundamental stuff about money completely wrong, presumably because of a selection bias in sources. This is one of the reasons that almost no serious scholars of money, whether they're Marxist, Keynesian or even libertarians, are on board with many of the claims of cryptocurrency enthusiasts, because they often veer into "not even wrong" territory. A few points:

The distinction between money and currency is both less clear-cut and less useful than many believe. This is a longstanding issue; see this Goodhart paper for an overview of the Currency vs Banking schools. I'm not sure what meaning of "fractional reserve" you're using above but in general it is an erroneous concept.

There is no such thing as "economic energy" that can be stored. Money is always a social technology, dependent upon relations that flux and unfold over time. Every commodity money in history has collapsed. Fiat currency is not all speculative, which in a financial context refers to a purchase made with the intent to on-sell at a profit. But if you mean "speculative" in a broad sense, then you're sort of hitting on an important point, which is that some of money's functions, and decisions regarding it (see liquidity preference), relate to the fundamental/radical uncertainty that we all face of an unknowable future in a complex social system. No monetary technology can erase that.

Fiat currencies, with their flexibility, backstop-ability, nominal consistency and enforceability actually have a number of advantages in providing certainty in such a complex system, which is partly why they are one of, if not the most dominant social technology on the globe today. This is a state of affairs that I am far from uncritical of myself, for what it's worth. But the idea that a system where hoarded money always increases in value is somehow a corrective to the influence of the rich is completely off-base.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like it's copy and pasted off some hokey YouTube video.
Currency is in fact money. Anyone saying otherwise is just selling you something.

Not all fiat currencies go to zero. This is some stupid internet saying. Fact is fiat currencies themselves are relatively new so only ones in terrible countries have gone to zero.

Currency being linked to gold or other assets is bad design and why fiat exists in the first place. Or would you like the USA and the entire world to have gone into the shitter during Covid? People starving, govts shutting their doors being out of money, no stimulus at all, no unemployment, you know the end of days.

banning crypto is so easy. Ban its ownership, ban any exchange, ban any business using it from being listed on stock exchanges. Boom instantly worthless and over. You don't need to worry about anything else. For 99.999% of people it would be over.

Decentralization of currency is idiotic. It's the opposite of moral. Have you taken any high level economics classes? Do you realize that this would result in extreme market manipulation and value fluctuation? You know like what crypto does now.

Basically your post is 100% wrong full of assumptions and half truths.
This especially. Who's going to back up bitcoins value? Fiat is so powerful because it has actual really value. the value of states and eventually their military. You don't want pay a chinese debt in yuan or american in usd? Good luck with that. And everything I've seen about people "accepting" bitcoin is that their doing it because it can be turned into USD as long as that true people will take it. when it can't be? nobody is going to take imaginary money that doesn't have legal backing or the backing of a real physical government who by law can force you to take back the debt in what ever currency it tell you.

It's all built on a libertarian idea that states aren't going to matter in the future. it's all going to be p2p libertarian imaginary nonsense.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
User Banned (3 days): antagonizing other users
Crypto currencies are objectively bad, and you're objectively "less good" as a person if you participate in them.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
"I don't welcome a currency that's so useful to kidnappers and extortionists and so forth, nor do I like just shuffling out of your extra billions of billions of dollars to somebody who just invented a new financial product out of thin air."

Lmao

Actually the entire quote there can be said about USD.
Well crypto has a long road ahead of it, the US Dollar is the Number One choice for thieves, murderers, illegal activity and this is not just for USA as it's worldwide

HT_moneysuitcase_av_160722_16x9_1600.jpg

This whataboutism argument completely falls apart with two seconds of thought about how cryptocurrency solves every problem criminals have trying to launder and hide US currency.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Are plebs making money from crypto? It's still mostly the professional managerial class that only really knows about this. Do we think Uber drivers and the rest of the gig economy are getting off crypto?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't want to ruin it for you but I still remember all these suicidal posts when bitcoin crashed in 2017.
Don't put in money you can't afford to lose & don't treat it as a short term/daily trading thing, if the people posting pink wojaks in 2017 just sucked it up & held, they would have quite a bit of cash right now.
Of course you can invest too much & hope to get a quick return in a few days, it's still honestly safer than any other form of gambling, Doge almost recovered to it's ATH for example.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
Don't put in money you can't afford to lose & don't treat it as a short term/daily trading thing, if the people posting pink wojaks in 2017 just sucked it up & held, they would have quite a bit of cash right now.
Of course you can invest too much & hope to get a quick return in a few days, it's still honestly safer than any other form of gambling, Doge almost recovered to it's ATH for example.
This advice sounds like it's being given in regards to a commodity, not a currency.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This whataboutism argument completely falls apart with two seconds of thought about how cryptocurrency solves every problem criminals have trying to launder and hide US currency.
Yeah, I really don't get it.
"Well, the most commonly used currency in the world was far more popular before this new, completely untraceable, currency popped up and provided a new, easier, way to money launder and hide transactions! That old currency is still the most commonly used! Ignore the fact that crypto is becoming more commonly used for those other things as time goes on."

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are plebs making money from crypto? It's still mostly the professional managerial class that only really knows about this. Do we think Uber drivers and the rest of the gig economy are getting off crypto?
this aspect of it bothers me from all of the coin enthusiasts. ive seen this weird narrative that these coins are going to solve or reduce a society's poverty but surely they have to know better. there will be some people in lower classes who make great money off of it - that's the case in many schemes and its important to the story of each project, whether its Herbalife or Luluroe or capitalism in general etc.

What I don't understand is how cryptocoins will not end up exclusively in the hands of very few. What makes this currency more likely to solve poverty than other money? How will it become more democratic? Is there a psychology in the crypto holder that makes them more likely to share?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean cryptocurrencies are exceptionally beneficial for criminals, including hard crime. Way worse than any other currency. So yeah he's absolutely right. But really that's only the tip of the iceberg because there are a lot of legitimate, albeit confused, individuals.

I don't know how true it is but some tech guy on the news said Bitcoin isn't actually untraceable but perhaps he means cashing out and not just buying and selling.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No doubt he's super intelligent about finances but what he said made zero sense and could be said about the US dollar. Or anything that is worth money.

Dutch

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Cryptocurrencies are the most elaborate pyramide scheme of all time and have 0 positive added value to the world.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Cryptocurrencies are the most elaborate pyramide scheme of all time and have 0 positive added value to the world.
And that's why we get all these crypto evangelists praising its virtues all the time. They want to rise in the pyramid and to do that they need to convince more people that crypto is the future and will make everyone rich. It is disgusting in so many ways.

Jun 10, 2018
This especially. Who's going to back up bitcoins value? Fiat is so powerful because it has actual really value. the value of states and eventually their military. You don't want pay a chinese debt in yuan or american in usd? Good luck with that. And everything I've seen about people "accepting" bitcoin is that their doing it because it can be turned into USD as long as that true people will take it. when it can't be? nobody is going to take imaginary money that doesn't have legal backing or the backing of a real physical government who by law can force you to take back the debt in what ever currency it tell you.

It's all built on a libertarian idea that states aren't going to matter in the future. it's all going to be p2p libertarian imaginary nonsense.
It takes a serious level of cognitive dissonance on the devout crypto evangelist's part to on one hand argue crypto is better than fiat currency due to it being an unregulated money system with a theoretical higher resistance to inflation, yet at the same time ignore the fact crypto's current value is heavily derived by how much fiat you're able to get for it in an exchange.

Like what?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
There were a couple of big bitcoin traders here in the Netherlands. Then the government tightened laws against money laundering. All the bitcoin traders closed up shop and moved abroad. This tells me all I need to know about the current state of bitcoin.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
It takes a serious level of cognitive dissonance on the devout crypto evangelist's part to on one hand argue crypto is better than fiat currency due to it being an unregulated money system with a theoretical higher resistance to inflation, yet at the same time ignore the fact crypto's current value is heavily derived by how much fiat you're able to get for it in an exchange.

Like what?
That's the rub. Very little value is directly generated into cryptocurrency so it'snot far off a zero-sum game. The only thing potentially generating value in crypto at the moment is NFTs which are laughable in their own way.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
He's not wrong

Regular money is easier to actually use and isn't as terrible for the planet.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017

The biggest problem with crypto as a currency, which no one will ever admit to, is the wild swings in value relative to every other currency. How is anyone supposed to be paid in it when the value of what they're given can change from day to day or even minute to minute.

Let's say I'm doing a job that pays 20 bitcoins an hour. Depending on the day I get paid I could either buy a yacht or not have enough to pay rent. And that could change the next day and again the day after that.

The value in fiat currency is that it generally has a steady value. Sure, inflation is a thing, but the dollar I found in an old jacket I haven't worn in ten years is still going to have the same purchasing power it did ten years ago. I can still buy a snicker's bar with it. The value of any individual cryptocurrency swings wildly from week to week, if I find an old bitcoin wallet from 2010 with 20 bitcoin in it I might be a millionaire today.

It's never been a currency, it's always been a commodity. Only it's a commodity that has no worth outside of the speculation surrounding it. Gold, silver, diamonds, I can turn all that into useful things. What can be done with crypto other than speculate on it's value? Hell, the stockmarket has more practical value than crypto because at least a company can get funding to do stuff through the sale of their own stock.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a software engineer who unfortunately has to work with cryptocurrencies. Let me tell you the technology stack is a hot dumpster fire of burning shit.
God help us if this shit doesn't get shut down by governments.

I also need to further qualify. As a software engineer it is true that most things built on tech are actually a house of cards of shit spaghetti. But cryptocurrency tech is on a whole new level.

Luckily the technology will never garner the public support it seeks on a person by person basis because it is very user unfriendly and not at all intuitive to use. No regular person is going to understand what a wallet address is and how to properly secure it, what cold storage is, or why their funds don't show up immediately in their wallet, or what a satoshi or wei is or why they lost 0.00001 of it because it got "lost" in a transfer.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Can we avoid judgmental hot takes like this ?

Nah I fully agree with them.

Crypto is some of the most cynical and insidious late capitalism bullshit, contributing more and more to the acceleration of climate change for the benefit of few dipshits in well-off countries, beneficial to scammers and other more unsavory sorts and is not even that more useful as actual fucking money. It mostly benefits a select few to the detriments of millions.

I don't care that crypto peeps want to vibe, The negatives around cryptocurrencies and its subsections is well documented, and to happily oblige in it means you just do not care, and will be judged for it. My only wish is that it gets so heavily regulated into oblivion

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Nah I fully agree with them.

Crypto is some of the most cynical and insidious late capitalism bullshit, contributing more and more to the acceleration of climate change for the benefit of few dipshits in well-off countries, beneficial to scammers and other more unsavory sorts and is not even that more useful as actual fucking money. It mostly benefits a select few to the detriments of millions.

I don't care that crypto peeps want to vibe, The negatives around cryptocurrencies and its subsections is well documented, and to happily oblige in it means you just do not care, and will be judged for it. My only wish is that it gets so heavily regulated into oblivion

This is where I am. I don't even like to discuss it or see people promoting it because it makes me feel even more hopeless about the future of humanity than I already do.

It's such a blatant, naked manifestation of human greed and short-term thinking that has already gotten us to where we are in the climate crisis. Crypto generating extra emissions on such a scale is the last thing the planet needs right now.

Anyone who promotes it is implicitly saying they don't give a fuck about the future of humanity or the environment. It's so depressing.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
As a software engineer who unfortunately has to work with cryptocurrencies. Let me tell you the technology stack is a hot dumpster fire of burning shit.
God help us if this shit doesn't get shut down by governments.

I also need to further qualify. As a software engineer it is true that most things built on tech are actually a house of cards of shit spaghetti. But cryptocurrency tech is on a whole new level.

Luckily the technology will never garner the public support it seeks on a person by person basis because it is very user unfriendly and not at all intuitive to use. No regular person is going to understand what a wallet address is and how to properly secure it, what cold storage is, or why their funds don't show up immediately in their wallet, or what a satoshi or wei is or why they lost 0.00001 of it because it got "lost" in a transfer.

The whole idea about an immutable database already sounds idiotic to me as a dev. Sure, immutability is nice when writing code, but there should always be a backup option to fix stuff. What if illegal content ends up a chain? Or think about European privacy laws, where companies have to remove customer data when they request it?

Dutch

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Only someone very ignorant, in a first world country with no real problems doesn't see the value blockchains can add to the world.

Lmao, now I remember why I don't post on this forum anymore. What an absolute bizarre thing to say.

Also, just because Bitcoin made blockchain as a concept more well known, that in no way means that because it uses the technology that it makes it a good thing. Blockchain by itself has value, using it a justification for a pyramid scheme is not one of them.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Lmao, now I remember why I don't post on this forum anymore. What an absolute bizarre thing to say.

Also, just because Bitcoin made blockchain as a concept more well known, that in no way means that because it uses the technology that it makes it a good thing. Blockchain by itself has value, using it a justification for a pyramid scheme is not one of them.
I dont care what you think of cryptocurrencies as they are. But saying that cryptocurrencies provided 0 value to humanity is just wrong.