• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Have you played the game? WoW Didn't specifically focus on the Pacific. It had 50/50 with the Russian missions on Germany.

WWII focused on Europe, so it would make sense that they focus on the Pacific this time around.
It covered much of the big stuff and unless they want to get into battleship or aviation combat there isn't too much left.

I guess unless they go lower scale and get into British & Australian involvement

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Hopefully it uses all the underlying mechanics and sound from Modern Warefare. BLCW just feels off in comparison

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
We had one not too long ago and it didn't go over well. I barely played it after I got it during a deep discount (20€) because I was still burned out from all the WW2 shooter from back in the day. SO if this is true I can't say I am particularly interestd.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I playtested this game and at one point they turned the cameras off and asked us "off the record" why we thought the reception was so poor.
Damn.

I remember really liking the campaign, and my friend group had a lot of fun with their take on zombies. I think the genre was just over-saturated with "near-future" shooters at that point.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
YES! I was hoping for this since it's Sledgehammer and they have a deep interest in making WWII COD games.

I only played WWII recently after disregarding it for the 3 or so years its been out it was around the time I fell off COD, after playing every single one and heard WWII was pretty average. It's my favorite COD campaign, you could tell it was a real passion project for Sledgehammer.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy it,
Call of Duty has been too scared to commit entirely to Vietnam twice now I doubt they do the Korean War.

My thoughts on it have to do with shared assets, since Cold War was originally Sledgehammers COD with Raven before they got removed from as a project leader and Treyarch was brought in to finish it up. You have a ton of Vietnam environments , character models that could be repurposed for this year's game, especially given this one was probably started in middle of last year. So less than half the dev time CODs usually get makes me think reusing a lot of Cold Wars assets could help significantly speed up development.

Of course you can make the case for repurposing WWII's assets but the game design will probably involve a gunsmith system and I don't know how in-depth that would really be with WWII guns.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It covered much of the big stuff and unless they want to get into battleship or aviation combat there isn't too much left.

COD2's storming of the Reichstag didn't stop WaW doing it too. Also, COD WW2 literally opens with D-Day, it would be weird for them to worry too much about covering things we've already seen in War games before.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, I have no interest in CoD games set in the past. Fictional modern warfare shenanigans or future shit and I'll buy it.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
There were earlier rumors that it was a Korean War setting but I doubt it. Activision would never ok a game where China is the bad guys.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I was clamouring for a return to ww2.

Then cod ww2 came out

No interest in this. It was something I thought I wanted but yeah.. no.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, that's $60 saved. I don't care to play titles from the past. The 80's is as far as I'll go.

Oct 25, 2017
I was clamouring for a return to ww2.

Then cod ww2 came out

No interest in this. It was something I thought I wanted but yeah.. no.
To be fair this is more because how COD WWII was made in my opinion. It absolutely resembled nothing what made the old games work, which were open areas that have you a lot of flexibility especially in Call of Duty 2. Sledgehammer though proceeded to that the literal account of the word linear and made every level a straight line with Hollywood MW2 shenanigans thrown in. Only thing that resembled a COD WWII was the boxart.

The MP I didn't really get into but to was a very weird overhaul of many of CODs systems, like reworking perks to divisions where they were always on for some reason, having a destiny like environment hub and loot boxes up in the ass.

If the execution is done better I think they could make a quality game but I'm not holding my breath.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
WW2 was really good, so I'm okay with this. I would much rather Vietnam, but I guess it would be hard getting map variety (not that activision cares remotely about accuracy).

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bleh. Was hoping for MW2021. Wil skip this year if it is WW focused. Whole time line has been done to death.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I mean they do need different guns for Warzone
Im fine with it as long as it uses the new engine
Worried we'll still have to wait another year for another game in the Modern Warfare engine though

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Damnit, I wanted MW2019-2

who's making COD this year, is it IW or Sledgehammer

we're never getting Advanced Warfare 2 are we :/

Oct 27, 2017
Put me in the camp who isn't too fussed about the setting as long as the games are good. MW and Cold War both are, so let's see what ya got Sledgehammer.

The only thing I will say is that I don't understand the clamour for MW2 this year. I want as much time put into MW2 as possible, ideally with minimal COVID disruption, and with a no compromise next gen exclusive. That's a 2022 thing.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting a different era, but it makes sense for getting this one done quickly and there's still a lot of room left to explore. Not excited at all, though, as WW2 did not live up to WAW for me. I also didn't like WW2's sounds or aesthetics, so if they do the Pacific Theatre or Eastern Front then I hope they try to match WAW's grit

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool i guess. I liked WW2 Zombies.
Call-of-Duty-WW2-Zombies-Panzermorder.png

csaba-molnar-codwwii-bomber-09.jpg

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest only real gripe with COD:WW2 was that the weapons sounded awful. They completely lacked any real punch and felt so muted:

Now compare that with Post Scriptum, a game with a 1/10th the budget:

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
If it's WW2 it better be on the MW engine. If not, keep it. I just want a BO2 remaster.