• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my white, redneck friends used to wonder why I would never get hyped and dance with them along to "Devil Went Down To Georgia" when I lived in GA, and it was because my parents had told me about Charlie Daniels' racist bullshit when I was growing up in the mid 90s.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Devil Went Down to Georgia is an all time classic. Charlie Daniels is also a full-on MAGA type.

RIP, but excuse me if I won't be sending flowers.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Lol wow, I didn't know he was such an ignorant fool.

That last tweet is a ridiculous legacy to leave.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I literally only know him for Devil Went Down To Georgia and being a racist shitheel.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Two Charlie Daniels stories:
- Daniels played the local fair about 10 years ago. My friends were already there for the rides and carnival food, so we grabbed a seat to listen while we ate our polish dogs and stuff. He starts the show, does a few of his songs, and then stops to go on this weird rant about a security alarm TV commercial. It went something like: "I was watching TV the other day and this commercial came on where this woman was home alone and a man kicked in her sliding glass door. The alarm goes off and she runs and hides and I got a little mad. 'Cause if I had my way, that woman would take out .57 magnum and blow that sucker away." Which was met with a cheering audience, while my friends just exchanged various versions of "What the fuck is he talking about."
- A friend of mine got taken to a more legit Daniels concert when he was a kid, and his dad knew someone at the venue and managed to get backstage. My friend described the experience: "Even as a 10 year-old, I remembered thinking, 'That sure is a lot of cocaine'." Apparently Daniels and his bandmates just had piles of coke on the table in the middle of the dressing room and were not subtle about cutting and snorting it.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like some of these people have some sort of contagious brain infection.

RIP

- A friend of mine got taken to a more legit Daniels concert when he was a kid, and his dad knew someone at the venue and managed to get backstage. My friend described the experience: "Even as a 10 year-old, I remembered thinking, 'That sure is a lot of cocaine'." Apparently Daniels and his bandmates just had piles of coke on the table in the middle of the dressing room and were not subtle about cutting and snorting it.

That explains a lot.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget seeing blackface figurines on sale at his museum in the mid-2000s. Disgusting.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Guarantee 1 or more people on my FB feed are sad over this. I'll go check (though I recently went through a purge of my friends list)

Edit: Nothing yet. Will give it some time

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I still feel sick that I liked him when I was a little kid. Just had no idea.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to listen to Dylan's Nashville skyline-new morning period and know he's in the backing band. Good riddance to a piece of garbage.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
My mom sent me this from someone on Facebook:

I had multiple interactions with Charlie on twitter because he was such a rich target to troll. Charlie was a Trumper, a bigot and a racist but I feel the need to say something good about him in light of his long overdue death. I just can't think of a single thing good to say about the bastard. I'm glad he's dead. I hope there is a hell for him to burn in. He was absolute ignorant shit-kicking hick scum. Fuck Charlie Daniels.

Never been of fan biting your tongue when a genuinely awful person dies.