• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As the positive press rolls in for yet another Charli XCX release, I began to think about her position in the wider music landscape and where Charli might be going next. I took the liberty of extracting the Metacritic scores for some notable artists' recent releases:
oUeN7Vz.png

I think the chart is self evident - Charli is on an upwards trajectory. Michael in particularly performs quite poorly in this comparison. It's clear from the chart that one of the few names in music today who is reviewing better than Charli is SOPHIE, but she doesn't release music anymore so we can safely set her aside. But that's all well and good - Metacritic isn't everything, and as we know, the practice of tying bonuses to Metascores is not beneficial in the longer term. So what other evidence can we look at to measure success?

O7DtuLn.gif

Firstly, Charli's latest album, which I will remind you has reviewed better than many pop albums in the past 6 years, was created in the span of six weeks. What does that mean? As Independent puts it:
Meanwhile, by the time Lady Gaga had cancelled and then resurrected the release date of her new, long-in-the-works record, coronavirus be damned, Charli XCX had nearly completed an entire album.
What takes some musicians years to achieve, Charli achieved in a matter of weeks. It is likely that the album will be nominated for the Grammys in 2021, not least because no-one else is able to record any albums.

Heard of Nintendo? So has Charli XCX - before Coronamatica devastated the world and ended life as we knew it, Charli was set to be part of Super Nintendo World's launch plans, and collaborated with Galantis to create a special theme song and music video celebrating the park's launch:

Next - Charli created an entire band with a Netflix special loosely based on Sky Ferreira which was met with a critical response and an audience. Unlike the aforementioned model, Nasty Cherry went on to release an EP and were catapulted into the global ambivalence.

Charli is also responsible for spotlighting a number of LGBT+ artists, such as Kim Petras (notable for releasing the same song on a monthly cadence and working with Dr. Puke) and Dorian Electra (a very iconic and talented non-binary artist - you can read about them here!). Through her collaborations with various "whos", Charli has become something like queen of the whos - if your neighbours are blaring music with autotune that you've never heard of before or it sounds like their speakers are dying, it's probably something from the XCX world. While some artists are content to merely exploit their LGBT+ fanbase by selling mediocre pallets and jockstraps made in poverty conditions, Charli makes a consistent effort to work with LGBT+ artists and has been known to sign a fans' douche or two.

hxxBUyC.jpg

Lv463VE.jpg

The dark - and light - sides of Charli's work with the LGBT community.

Lastly, in the past 2 days alone since release Charli has raised $57k+ for charities helping to deal with the impact of COVID-19 among homeless people from her merch sales alone, as well as participating in multiple charity streams during this quarantine. Additionally, Charli has been outspoken about the necessity for testing front line workers ahead of celebrities and rich people - while Ms Musk is letting her man embarrass himself on twitter, Charli is both educating and entertaining in a way the world has not seen since the release of Zoombinis.

OA9DKz4.jpg

That FROOT looks familiar!

So - I ask again - why aren't you listening, era?

jYFj822.gif

Author's note: Unfortunately, Tchaikovsky died before the creation of Metacritic so I am unable to compare their career trajectories but I think it is safe to say that Charli is set to reach higher peaks.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old and i have no idea who that is and i don't listen to pop music to begin is probably why.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next - Charli created an entire band with a Netflix special loosely based on Sky Ferreira which was met with a critical response and an audience. Unlike the aforementioned model, Nasty Cherry went on to release an EP and were catapulted into the global ambivalence.
LMAO

Well, numbers don't lie. I'm burning my classical records and changing my middle name to "Charlistan".

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I'm not listening to any of the artists on the chart (any more). What do I win?

I did listen to the Sucker album when it was released and even so her live around that time. She was pretty mediocre live.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what the graph is supposed to show me when multiple artists on it had their best releases before the date range used?

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, you really like charlie XCX.

Do you honestly, in your heart think you're going to hear a Charlie XCX song playing in a grocery store 20 years from now and you'll be nodding your head along with it? Because MJ's songs still do that to people.

It's cute that you love her A E S T H E T I C and everything, but you need to come back down to earth.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I just don't listen to that type of music. I respect her as an artist and appreciate her, same with other artists I don't like or listen to, but I am glad a lot of people like her. People just like different things. Music is so subjective.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
"predicted score" lmao what

and MetaCritic score doesn't really mean a lot. I love Charli and I think her latest album is her best, but her sound hasn't exactly shifted the conversation in the music industry at all.

OP
OP
catboy

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you honestly, in your heart think you're going to hear a Charlie XCX song playing in a grocery store 20 years from now and you'll be nodding your head along with it? Because MJ's songs still do that to people.
yes, i heard focus by charli in the store in 2019, that song was released in 2018

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...yeah.

I'm just glad that in this scenario, Charli's actually gained enough recognition to be played in grocery stores.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! she is really much better than Michael Jackson's corpse snd some has-beens. The numbers don't lie.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
MJ is an overrated pedophile and while Thriller was excellent, the rest of his discography left a lot to be desired

Of course Charli is a better artist, like duh lol

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I like her, but don't love her music as much as reigning queens like Kim Petras, Carly Rae Jepsen, or Dua Lipa.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Statistics 101: make sure your data is chronologically comparable.
They are talking about career trajectory and using that chart as part of their argument when Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, and Kanye were in the same phase as Charlie XCX before what is shown on that chart. Therefore it is a horrendous chart with no meaning to it.

Maybe a viable chart would include the first 4-5 releases by each artist?

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are talking about career trajectory and using that chart as part of their argument when Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, and Kanye were in the same phase as Charlie XCX before what is shown on that chart. Therefore it is a horrendous chart with no meaning to it.
As someone that works with data as a career, I can absolutely vouch for the scientific methodology of this graph.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I saw that this person did the music in the mario video I literally said "that was that? oh god"

Also music reviews are dumb, you cannot review music for anyone other than yourself.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell with absolute certainty if this thread is satire, and that worries me.

I like her music though.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
She has some cool songs but I don't see her reaching the same level of mainstream appeal as some of the cited artists. Which is totally fine btw. The popularity of music doesn't have an impact on how good it is or how much you're allowed to like it.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
She doesn't pop up in my Spotify playlists. Spotify clearly thinks she is bad for me and I trust Spotify's algorithms more than I trust any person in the world.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that works with data as a career, I can absolutely vouch for the scientific methodology of this graph.
I know you are just fucking with me... I should just stay out of Pop-Era threads.

I've seen Charli live at a local drag show and briefly met her backstage after and it was a cool experience.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tbh she just wasn't on my radar, but now it's starting to be out of pure spite for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.