• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Christ.

It was initially reported that he had suffered an adverse reaction to the injection just before kickoff.

CBS Sports said:
Herbert could be in store for a second straight start Week 3 against the Panthers with the Chargers listing incumbent Tyrod Taylor (chest) as week-to-week, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Herbert was informed just moments before kickoff in Sunday's game against the Chiefs that he would be starting when Taylor was scratched and sent to the hospital after experiencing an adverse reaction to an pregame injection he took to address a lingering rib injury, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
s26Snpk.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
These team doctors are always suspect lol. I remember one player in Washington had something bad and they overlooked it or told him it was nothing.

Old Deadspin article:

deadspin.com

NFL Players Don't Trust Team Doctors

You're a football player. You get hurt—dinged up, or seriously injured. Either on the sideline or back in the locker room, the team doctor comes over to treat you. What's his motivation? To do the best thing for your long-term health? Or to get you back in the game as quickly as possible?

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Holy hell that is crazy...!

I have never heard of that before, is it common?? I thought the whole situation was bizarre but I wasn't expecting that.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I remember something similar happened to Jerome Bettis in a playoff game in the early 2000s. He was given a pain killer shot and it struck a nerve, making his whole leg numb? I remember him missing the game because of it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Sabotaging Tyrod like that just to start Hebert. I hope that doctor gets sued to hell and back.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That sounds awful, I'd refuse to meet with that team doctor going forward were I any player on that team.

Nov 16, 2017
These team doctors are always suspect lol. I remember one player in Washington had something bad and they overlooked it or told him it was nothing.

Old Deadspin article:

deadspin.com

NFL Players Don't Trust Team Doctors

You're a football player. You get hurt—dinged up, or seriously injured. Either on the sideline or back in the locker room, the team doctor comes over to treat you. What's his motivation? To do the best thing for your long-term health? Or to get you back in the game as quickly as possible?
That player is Trent Williams and what the doctors ignored was a cancerous growth. He held out for an entire season because of it before finally being traded to the 49ers.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's insane, as an NBA fan, that a sports team would think numbing up a player with cracked ribs and sending them out to play is fine. The NFL is basically a giant meat grinder and I can only imagine how the players come out the other side after even a short career.

Oct 27, 2017
You could, you know, have administered the painkillers in a way that wouldn't aim a needle directly into the lungs. Like, maybe angle that shit just a bit.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
just read this, what in the actual fuccccccckkkkkkkkk. jesus, take away this dudes license immediately

I'd imagine he's done until next year if he has a punctured lung.
Tony Romo, got his ribs broke, ribs punctured his lung, and he missed like one quarter and came back the second half and won the game, a true legend. I know he played the next few games as well, forget if he finished the season. i think he wore some like super sturdy chest brace that whole season

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's insane, as an NBA fan, that a sports team would think numbing up a player with cracked ribs and sending them out to play is fine. The NFL is basically a giant meat grinder and I can only imagine how the players come out the other side after even a short career.
YUUUP. lowest average career I think as well.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
The nerve you got to hit is extremely close to the lung and the needle puncturing the lung in a known complication of this procedure. Hopefully the team doctors explained this to him before they did it.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because their role isn't to keep players healthy, it to get them on the field so they can make a billionaire more money.
Pretty much all the pro team doctors are just older rich dudes who will take orders from the owners.
Players have started questioning these doctors, I think Kawhi Leonard is the biggest one lately.
Literally sat out because he didn't like the San Antonio diagnosis.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sabotaging Tyrod like that just to start Hebert. I hope that doctor gets sued to hell and back.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not...

Tyrod has been a career backup and in 12 years has 1 game where he threw 300 yards, which Heebert did in his first game with 5 minutes heads up that he would be starting.

The doctor didn't do this on purpose it was going to happen at some point this season naturally anyway. Let's not get carried away with crazy conspiracy theories

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Pretty much all the pro team doctors are just older rich dudes who will take orders from the owners.
Players have started questioning these doctors, I think Kawhi Leonard is the biggest one lately.
Literally sat out because he didn't like the San Antonio diagnosis.
I don't blame him. I work in health care and I will not be seen by the practice I work for because of the conflict of interest and I'm not costing someone millions of dollars a year. There should be a third party in there that pays the doctors to do what's best for the players instead of the doctor jobs being based on keeping an owner happy.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to walking it off?

Kids today too soft.
Right? God gave the boy two lungs, din't He?

I don't follow sports, but surely this pro player is already a millionaire and could retire comfortably if he were so inclined, yes? But instead he's got an entire national culture leaning on him, building up his ego, encouraging him to put his long-term health at risk to score arbitrary points. His coaches, his teammates, his fans, his family members, sports anchors, all reinforcing his belief that it's heroic to sacrifice in the name of ring-seeking. I swear, it's straight-up Tolkeinesque.