• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Mega Man has a couple of these for me.

There's Mac, the Hunter from X3 who betrays the Maverick Hunters and gets obliterated by Zero shortly afterward.

latest

source.gif

X recognizes him on sight, and is clearly surprised at his betrayal, so there's some shared history there. Hunter HQ is being attacked for the first and only time we see in the X series, so it's likely Mac had something to do with Doppler's forces finding the place and getting inside. In X4, the supporting characters like Double or Iris get a decent amount of exposition and screen time (relatively, for a Mega Man game). But in X3, we get this guy, who we know next to nothing about.

X2 has a similar character, whose name we don't even know. Green Biker Dude was chosen to go with X on his first mission, although he gets tragically killed right away. My headcanon always placed him in a similar position to X and Zero, the "player 3" to their 1P and 2P.

tumblr_inline_n92y7nGykO1s3jnih.gif

Look at him popping a wheelie and riding alongside X all badass like that.

I wish the X series had an anime, or continued its series of remakes after Maverick Hunter X. It didn't seem to really care about its story too much in X2 or X3, at least not compared to X1, X4, X5 or any of the Zero games.

What are some examples you have of characters that you wish you knew more about?

Velguarder

Jan 10, 2020
I wish we would've found out what happened to Dr. Cain. I mean, he was an OLD man, so it's no mystery, but he deserved a send-off in some capacity. For the catalyst of the entire X series, he just vanished after X3.

Though IIRC, there was a hint at a retcon in Maverick Hunter X and he was on the brink of death in the first X.

Oct 29, 2017
These two:
tumblr_pwtoe3RevG1wmhmkno1_400.png

Part of the reason why I enjoyed AAI2 so fucking much.
Their names are Shelly de Killer and Ryouken Houinbou, for the uninitiated

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reddas, from FFXII. He was a guest party member, but I wish he appeared more. Actually, I wish we had a proper Mass Effect-like CRPG set in Ivalice, with multiple playable races.

maxresdefault.jpg

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Souls game : the thread.

Also good thinking previous poster - Reddas is a very valid answer.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
There are so many characters in Trails where they breadcrumb you along with their stories that it's hard to pick just one.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
merchant_avatar_400x400.JPG

RE4 Merchant.

Why does he have all of this gear for sale? Why is he not bothered by all of the cultists and monsters? Is he working for them? If he is, why is he betraying them to help Leon? Shouldn't he be mind-controlled? If he isn't working for them, why aren't they trying to kill him? He's helping Leon!

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I wish we would've found out what happened to Dr. Cain. I mean, he was an OLD man, so it's no mystery, but he deserved a send-off in some capacity. For the catalyst of the entire X series, he just vanished after X3.

Though IIRC, there was a hint at a retcon in Maverick Hunter X and he was on the brink of death in the first X.
Dr. Cain probably does deserve a bit more of a visible role, but it probably wouldn't work out too well for him. He is... kinda bad at being Dr. Light's substitute. His greatest creation was the "incorruptible" Sigma. The last reference to him I am aware of is in the X4 manual, where he is credited with the idea of creating Repliforce to make fighting Mavericks more efficient. He presumably dies somewhere offscreen.

And then you get to his alter ego in Battle Network 6 who, well...

Well, he seems like a friendly guy at first, but turns out to straight up be one of the main villains of the game, albeit one who is easily manipulated by Wily.

Overall, the darker the X series became, the worse Dr. Cain was regarded, so any modern portrayal isn't going to be as nice to him as he was portrayed in the SNES games.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Legion from Mass Effect. He shows up at the very end of 2 and one part of 3, but he's one of the coolest characters in the series to me and I wish he had more development.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
merchant_avatar_400x400.JPG

RE4 Merchant.

Why does he have all of this gear for sale? Why is he not bothered by all of the cultists and monsters? Is he working for them? If he is, why is he betraying them to help Leon? Shouldn't he be mind-controlled? If he isn't working for them, why aren't they trying to kill him? He's helping Leon!
I think he only exists in Leon's mind.
He probably isn't real.
But that's a good one yeah, me too I would like to have definitive answer about him lol

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshimitsu from Tekken.

With Ghost of Tsushima on the horizon, I'm once again drawn to my idea of an open world game featuring Yoshi doing his clan leader deeds. Think Assassin's Creed meets Horizon meets MGR (and now GoT).

I want to see his rise through the clan. His mastery of the void. His mental stability failing because of the void, awoken evil, spirits in his sword and losing his clan etc etc. I want to see a man getting lost in his theatrics and cybernetic enhancements and morally grey areas he crosses to maintain "goodness" and "wholeness". How tight is the void's grip on his mind? Will he be able to find a successor? Will he die with honor?

If it's up to Namco, he'll just be "those weird Japanese" to some random fighter for one round in a "story" mode.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Ness's Dad. Who is he? Where is he? Why don't you just come home, papa? Cats in the cradle with the silver spoon...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Basically all of the absentee parents from Pokémon, Persona, Kingdom Hearts...

Velguarder

Jan 10, 2020
Dr. Cain probably does deserve a bit more of a visible role, but it probably wouldn't work out too well for him. He is... kinda bad at being Dr. Light's substitute. His greatest creation was the "incorruptible" Sigma. The last reference to him I am aware of is in the X4 manual, where he is credited with the idea of creating Repliforce to make fighting Mavericks more efficient. He presumably dies somewhere offscreen.

And then you get to his alter ego in Battle Network 6 who, well...

Well, he seems like a friendly guy at first, but turns out to straight up be one of the main villains of the game, albeit one who is easily manipulated by Wily.

Overall, the darker the X series became, the worse Dr. Cain was regarded, so any modern portrayal isn't going to be as nice to him as he was portrayed in the SNES games.

Thank you! I'm always looking for bits and pieces of Mega Man lore. I didn't play the BN series beyond 4, despite owning them (I'll get around to it some day).

I've never really thought of him really as a Light substitute, but I agree that he's not as impactful.
Even if the events that transpired painted a negative picture, knowing what happened to him would be a little bit of closure. He found X and created Sigma. He's integral to the story as far as I'm concerned and shouldn't just be a sidenote in a manual or an assumption.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I just finished Mega Man Zero again, and I kinda wished we got to learn more about Copy X and his fall to the dark side. There's an interesting story there

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Kahran Ramsus

What I know of him is pretty interesting. I just wish it had much more screen time and a better execution. He has always fascinated me in all of my Xenogears playthroughs.

89c3b78c0250a39ad1ead20967901f80.jpg

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Black and White had a lot of these...

N's mom, those two "goddesses" that crowned N, the Shadow Triad (remember when we though they were the Gym Leader triplets?), the Sages, etc.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not so much a character, but an entire faction:

Those Who Slither In The Dark/the Agarthans

If you have a faction that technology resembling modern or future tech that gave you robots and ballistic missiles in a Fire Emblem game, I feel like you can do a lot more with that. What would have happened Byleth and co. could have taken their tech into the final battles?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
The merchant from RE4 and Q from SF3 take it for me.

Also, figured I'd point out to those interested that Dr. Cain pretty obviously dies in an explosion during the events preceding the game in Maverick Hunter X; this is shown in the anime, which was quite well made. It doesn't necessarily pertain to the main story line, but it does further bum me out that they never continued with more remakes, as we could have had a very different time line there had they kept the Maverick Hunter series going.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
02YruId.png

Pesmerga and Yuber, both from the Suikoden series.

They are both very cool looking and mysterious. Their goals are never revealed. All we know is Pesmerga is hunting Yuber, and Yuber tends to side with the enemies.

Last edited: