• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Dr. Robert Romano's death on ER. Dies when an helicopter crashes on him, despite standing on the street because he left after seeing the helicopter on the roof due to his earlier helicopter related drama.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Robert Romano's death on ER. Dies when an helicopter crashes on him, despite standing on the street because he left after seeing the helicopter on the roof due to his earlier helicopter related drama.

Is this like intentionally funny? It's like the Helicopter came back to finish the job.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Bunny from old school Power Puff Girls. Could never re-watch that episode.
tumblr_owsxzqU6xa1vodo80o1_400.gifv

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017

Toki from Hokuto no Ken (or "First of the North Star" if you prefer). Hate it when good guys suffer from a terribly cruel fate, and he was the goodest of them all. Even Raoh, who is the antagonist of the series first season, acknowledges that Toki should have never experienced such cruel fate.

Randog

Oct 27, 2017
Evangelion_Unit_01_with_hair_%28EoE%29.png

Yui Ikari - End of Evangelion. Strictly speaking, she got exactly what she wanted: eternal life as a Pioneer plaque shaped like a sick giant mecha. That said, it still seems like a pretty crapass way to exist.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Family of Blood from Dr Who:

Granted they were pretty shitty but that was a hell of a punishment he dealt out!

Sep 12, 2018
Jesse's second girlfriend in Breaking Bad being shot in the head on her front porch with her kid inside just for the sake of making us hate the cartoonish neo nazi villains of the final season and further torturing Jesse, kind of checked me out of the finale of the show too.

Deleted member 62078

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
The Jurassic World assistant instantly came to mind when I saw the thread title, reassuring to see so many other people mention it.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
tumblr_m6ubosVs7U1rw1exqo4_500.gif

Homura's entire timeline just feels awful. How many times has she
reset the timeline and watched all her friends die over and over

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
It's not really unusually cruel, but something from the ending of the Jake Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson Alien-esque movie Life from a few years ago really fucks me up.

After an unkillable jellyfish alien from Mars kills its way through the International Space Station, Gyllenhaal decides to lure the alien into an escape pod and pilot it away from Earth, while Ferguson uses another pod to return home.
Due to other chaos going on, the two pods collide with debri during launch, sending one towards Earth and the other into the black of space. Gyllenhaal crashes with the alien to Earth, and then the shot I can't forget, of Rebecca Ferguson screaming as her pod helplessly hurtles through space in the opposite direction, knowing that she's eventually going to die and they've completely failed their mission. Yikes.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Hewie's girlfriend in "The Boys"

"unusually cruel", but it also set the tone of the series rather nicely.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking the other day how Chef got an extra cruel death in South Park. Even with the metadrama outside of the show they were commenting on, it just felt like it was cruel especially when the characters in the show are making a point how they care about their friend and it's not all his fault that he's been brainwashed even if he had turned on them. At least at the time it sounded like Isaac Hayes wasn't on bad terms with them but he was pressured by the Church of Scientology to leave. I don't know if Hayes or the Church of Scientology threatened Trey and Matt or the show or anything like that, but it just stuck out as not just trying to sunset a character or work through their own thoughts and Hayes leaving the way he did like most of the episode, but like they were bitter and wanted to give Hayes, and not Scientology, a big fuck you on the way out. It just came across as weird to me.
IIRC, Matt and Trey said that they had held off on targeting Scientology out of respect for Issac Hayes, until they felt they had held off for too long, and then they talked to Hayes about doing a Scientology episode, and Hayes was 100% cool about it.

Then, after the episode aired, Hayes put out a public statement blasting Matt and Trey (he personally was blasting them personally), and he quit the show, without giving them any sort of chance to give the Chef character a graceful exit. Matt and Trey were pissed, so they instead gave Chef a disgraceful exit. If Hayes was offended by the Scientology episode, Matt and Trey intended to show Hayes what they were capable of when they weren't still holding back out of respect. They were mad at Hayes for what he said and did, but they were also mad at the Church of Scientology for it's obvious influence over him.

Hayes's son later claimed that Hayes had suffered a stroke which the Church of Scientology had covered up, and at the time Hayes was unable to quit any shows or make any statements, so the Church of Scientology (being way more upset about the Scientology episode than Hayes was) took advantage of his stroke to "quit the show for him" and to draft false statements in Hayes's name. Matt and Trey's anger with their former friend was actually misplaced, because they underestimated just how shitty the Church of Scientology could be.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Also to dog pile on GoW being fucked up with views of women in Ascension they had to rename a trophy after beating a women to death from "Bros Before Hos" to "Bros Before Fos"

But first thing from thread title is Jurassic World it just baffling a side character who barely shown is given a death like that. That's a villain death really

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
There's a guy in the first Crank movie (the actor who plays Pedro in Napoleon Dynamite), who is being tortured and then killed that really, to this day, kinda screwed with me in a way I truly didn't expect...

They have him bound to a chair by some thugs, who put a plastic bag over his head THEN a noose around his neck. You hear him shouting "No" in a really desperate and sad way. They're all laughing around him as they pull the rope, basically strangling him and suffocating him at the same time, and the camera lingers on all of this, it's really fucked up

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Death Becomes Her (1992)

Two literally broken immortal enemies forever bound together by their all consuming vanity...

3393ff71dc65405059490508fa7dd6.jpg

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
There was that Edward Norton movie "The Illusionist". I remember that the main villain "comeuppance" felt ridiculously unbalanced in that movie.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that her kids will never even know. Like, just grim as fuck -__-

I don't think anyone can beat this, though:

Olga in Fate/Grand Order. Even the description can't do the horror justice, but I'll try:

Basically for the sin of being a little gullible, she's incinerated on a molecular level by a blackhole Sun, a sensation she'll experience for all of eternity in an unending death loop.

Just normal side character tings

Yeah, it's absolutely this. There's a lot of great answers, but no one's gotten a raw deal like this poor woman did in FGO.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The Jurassic World assistant's death was so needlessly over the top and brutal I checked out of the movie AND the bad taste it left made me totally disinterested in the sequel even before reviews came out.

I forget her name, but in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" a character's girlfriend is kidnapped and held captive for much of the movie.
The Russians bring her out at one point to see if she's important to a different character, but when he doesn't know her they shoot her in the head on screen and you can see her skull break apart and splatter about the wall of the prison cell, all with no warning. No one brings her up again until the ending when her boyfriend says he's still looking. It gave me nightmares for years.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Natsuki Subaru from Re:Zero.
M33olVf.jpg

Various characters from Made in Abyss. I won't post any pictures.
Camille in Sharp Objects.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Is this like intentionally funny? It's like the Helicopter came back to finish the job.

As terrible as Romano's death was, it was pretty cathartic at the time because the character was such a colossal asshole that he basically became the supervillain of ER. I vaguely remember they tried to write a bit of sympathy into the character once but the plot twist actually made him even less likeable? So he was basically Poochy and they decided to destroy the hospital.

Sep 12, 2018
Speaking of hospital dramas what was that show where a guy was running with a dude's heart in an ice box and he tripped and the heart spilled on the floor and a golden retriever wandered in and ate it with the guy who was set to get the heart just sitting there in shock. I remember howling with laughter at that lol

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of hospital dramas what was that show where a guy was running with a dude's heart in an ice box and he tripped and the heart spilled on the floor and a golden retriever wandered in and ate it with the guy who was set to get the heart just sitting there in shock. I remember howling with laughter at that lol
One Tree Hill

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of that first one, that was Amanda's doing rather than Jigsaw. He wasn't particularly pleased with the fact that she made a point of designing traps to be inescapable, and had been giving her one final test with Lynn, only to fail it and get killed by Lynn's husband Jeff.

Not to say he was never full of shit though, as he pretty much was baiting Jeff into killing him as opposed to forgiving him (even with Jigsaw giving his word that he would call for help to save his wife) and unwittingly getting Lynn killed in the process.
Jigsaw designed the trap and approved of her being the victim. Amanda only rigged it so the key wouldn't work