• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
There are so many superheroes shows & movies that come out where both media and comic book fans hype to an absolute fever pitch as if I'm going to pretend like I've ever heard of "Vision" in my entire life. I'm sure WandaVision is a dope show, but that's not the point. Ain't a single person in my life has ever talked about Vision prior to the mid 2010s and then suddenly it's like, "oh you don't know who Vision is" ... like no, I don't. And neither did you, because nobody cared lol.
It's not like Iron Man was a household name either. In fact, biggest name in the MCU pre-Spider-Man was probably Hulk.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is best in wrestling when trying to get a babyface over and the fans just won't have it. Most recently it was pre-heel turn Roman Reigns, just trying to make Roman Reigns happen so bad.

I have a very unpopular take on this, and I know I'm in the minority, but god fucking damnit I can't STAND Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park. It actually made me hate Jeff Goldblum for like 20 years because I just assumed that character is who he was in real life.

10k0sT.png

I just couldn't stand him. Super edgy, dresses in all black, "Well actually..." know it all, hits on the woman, tries to be like the sexy nerd, is turned into a hero in the movie, passes conventional idiot wisdom as being something profound or brilliant. I fucking hated him, and hated Jeff GOldblum for YEARS because his Independence Day character is kinda similar, the technical know it all who nobody will listen to but he's right all along.

It wasn't until I saw Jeff Goldblum in Portlandia that I re-evaluated how wrong I was about him and I really, really like him today. I still think his character is INSUFFERABLE in Jurassic Park and they try to make him into a babyface and it doesn't land for me. But I know a lot of people love his character, so I know I'm wrong when it comes to the title here... HIs character definitely works for most fans of Jurassic PArk and movies, but it didn't land with me.

lol, this speaks to me.

Last edited:

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
OP even in the dumb old games, Kratos was an idiot who caused all his sufferings

yeah he was badass but he was a miserable son of a bitch

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is a niche one...

But in every sports videogame that has a single player story mode, there's always a "best friend" character... the Character is always like a tag along, but they also introduce you to features in the game or help you progress the story.

Without fail the character, who might be a childhood friend, your agent, a media person or something, they are always SUUUUPER lame, but they try to write the character to appeal to like 14-20 year olds who play those single player story modes. And they're insufferably lame, but never in an ironic genuine way, just a cringey way. I'll see if I can find some videos/screenshots of the dialog.

But it's always something like, "Middle aged white agent: Hey Bad Guy, your game is straight FIRE you can tell your team to write the check or you're going to BOUNCE, player, you know I got you!!"

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This is a niche one...

But in every sports videogame that has a single player story mode, there's always a "best friend" character... the Character is always like a tag along, but they also introduce you to features in the game or help you progress the story.

Without fail the character, who might be a childhood friend, your agent, a media person or something, they are always SUUUUPER lame, but they try to write the character to appeal to like 14-20 year olds who play those single player story modes. And they're insufferably lame, but never in an ironic genuine way, just a cringey way. I'll see if I can find some videos/screenshots of the dialog.

But it's always something like, "Middle aged white agent: Hey Bad Guy, your game is straight FIRE you can tell your team to write the check or you're going to BOUNCE, player, you know I got you!!"
Bouncing off that, your buddies in the Pokémon games. I miss when it was just your rival who you kept encountering.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
As much as i like the harry potter universe. Everyone is kinda lame. I usually think the villains are cool in fantasy worlds but in harry potter not even the villains are cool.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance to shit on Carol......imma take it..

There was a point where I was hate reading Captain Marvel.
Then we got Binary and im genuinely interested in just reading what Binary is up to......but I know they are planning on getting Carol back in her book.

Rebrand that Captain Marvel book, Binary and Co.
Yes, Carol doesnt even get her name on the book, its Binarys book and shes an extra in it.

I dont dislike the MCU version of Carol but they really are pushing her hard there too.
That happened in her Warbird series. She had Wonderman, Julie Carpenter, and Ariana. And they stole the show

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Do people think he's cool? I don't really keep up with anything anime fandom related, so it would shock me if people think he's cool. He's mostly an annoying dickhead teen who is slowly learning to be a slightly better person. (please don't give me manga spoilers, I'm only caught up on the anime).
Bakugo has won the last 4 or 5 popularity polls in a row. I wouldn't say he's cool per se, but he is definitely one of the most interesting and developed in the show

Oct 27, 2017
Bakugo has won the last 4 or 5 popularity polls in a row. I wouldn't say he's cool per se, but he is definitely one of the most interesting and developed in the show

Surprises me that he's won popularity polls.
But I do agree that he is an interesting character. I like watching him, even if I don't like him as a person.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Gilmore Girls related: the Life and Death Brigade

These dudes would be villains in the French Revolution, or Gilded Age. Hell, they're probably all Trumpers or future Brett Kavanaughs. But they're treated as the coolest spectacle of all time, oh just so whimsical. Yet embracing everything Lorelai hated about her parents wealth and society.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I'm confused by a lot of the shouts in here.

Like Sasuke, Batman, Roman Reigns, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Squall from FF, Sephiroth, Todoroki, Future Trunks, Darth Vader , Bart Simpson & Oberon Martell, are all coded as cool.

A character can be popular without being cool, Naruto, Superman, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Tanjiro, Homer Simpson, Cloud, Hulk Hogan, John Cena, hell most protagonists.

Bakugo I'm on the fence about, he's a bit too shouty and aggressive and hardly anyone in the story actually likes him. I can't remember many cool moments from him either. But he does have a cool quirk and is made to be pretty intelligent so *shrugs*.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This is a good one. I can't fucking stand Todoroki. He's such a boring fucking loser.

It was mostly a joke post to mess with the OP. I'm just....indifferent to him. But I still would think the "they're so cool" concept does apply to him. Tragic backstory, split hair colors, facial scar. It screams of a character I would've made back in my college days lmao

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sasuke

With Kratos, isn't the original point of the original games that he's not a good person?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
every time a Batman or Spider-Man movie or show tries to introduce a younger version of Alfred or Aunt May/Uncle Ben. Go in them all more elaborate adventures and backstories. I pretty much always sit there and go "but why?"

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Chris Pratt in Jurassic World. I remember the scene where he casually snatches a fly out of the air, the writers really want you to think he's the coolest dude ever.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People posting DmC Dante but honestly regular Dante and Vergil are just as cringe if not more.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
People posting DmC Dante but honestly regular Dante and Vergil are just as cringe if not more.
i feel like both the OG ones are supposed to be goofy

Dante always eats shit everytime he tried to do something cool (like running down the tower in DMC 3 only to be eaten by the whale)

and Vergil is actually pathetic. under all that bluster, he's still way more childish than Dante and he gets called out on it

DmC Dante has some goofy moments too but DmC Vergil is just terrible

never forget that the dev removed vergil's fedora from the updated re-release. they thought the fedora was cool lmao

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, most of their more famous women were held by other movie studios at the time so... yeah. They had to make do with what they had.

Don't worry, I understand, my top 3 is two founding members of the X men and a certain girl who can control squirrels. I wasn't complaining about just their film appearances though, since they are also being pushed on other media fronts where they do have the rights to other characters.

It's part of why Marvel has been ehh for me in recent years.