• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kawaki-boruto-naruto-next-generations.jpg
whos that? i like this design a lot

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Kawaki is an actual decent person though that may turn bad later on but that might not even be him that's bad but someone possessing his body. He's just really rude to everyone(especially Sarada and Boruto) not named Naruto.

whos that? i like this design a lot

That's Kawaki from Boruto. He's basically Naruto's adopted son and the deuteragonist of the Boruto manga.

He's the Sasuke's 2.0 to Boruto's Naruto-flavored Sasuke albeit Kawaki is 100 times more likeable than teenage Sasuke and not as edgy despite his appearance.

Last edited:

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Never trust a guy who's wearing sunglasses when it's dark.

Jafar%28Disney%29Character.png

I keep thinking of someone who will subvert this trope with a character who looks absolutely evil, use purple and green and all, but is actually a good guy. I can't think of any.
The Odeon Chapel Dweller from Bloodborne is this.
latest

He looks like a monster, and he talks and laughs like a madman when he asks you to bring survivors to him. But it turns out that he is actually one of the nicest characters in the game, he's completely genuine with everything he says and he does just want to save people. It's a contrast to the other person you can send the survivors to, a regular seeming woman who is actually a mad scientist that turns them into monsters and will try to kill you when you confront her.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking of someone who will subvert this trope with a character who looks absolutely evil, use purple and green and all, but is actually a good guy. I can't think of any.

The Queen from Lego Movie 2 is pretty much exactly this. She even sings a song about how not evil she is to prove she's not evil.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
apparently casual fans who's not knowledgeable of the comic origin actually buy into his bullshit and actually surprised at the 'twist'. I've also read some comic fans who know Mysterio comic origin but think MCU is just changing things up with the multiverse etc. if I remember it right, Ultimate Mysterio in the comics does have something to do with multiverse. I think that's the first time we got crossover between 616 Peter and Miles Morales in Spider-Men comics

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Watchmen movie really fucked up Ozymandias in this regard.

ozymandias_matthew_goode.jpg

Jan 11, 2018

Makes me think of that one Thundercats episode where Lion-O is confronted by two aliens, one looking a lot more dignified and is more soft spoken than the other. So he helps him, but then realises the uglier alien with the crude manners is the good one despite his appearance. I think there's quite a few "never judge a book by its cover" episodes in cartoons, especially one from the 80's.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Yawgmoth from Magic: the Gathering (as documented in the book The Thran) has a beautiful name, a kindly appearance, and he was probably originally sent into exile for a dumb reason anyway. People said he was a "eugenicist", but how bad could that be? Who else could we ask to fight this deadly disease that has appeared?
8690cbcc-f8fd-41f7-9e28-e61c12b04014.jpg

Why wouldn't he need an entire plane to control as he wishes? I can't imagine how that could possibly backfire.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Without context a lot of the characters in the posts here don't really look like villains at all.
The Watchmen movie really fucked up Ozymandias in this regard.

ozymandias_matthew_goode.jpg
He only uses that outfit in the movie when he's revealed as the villain I think though, before that I actually thought he was just the "friend who moved on" type.

Oh no, there is a flashback of him in suit, but now I can't remember if it was the exact same, but he didn't really look like a villain in the flashback when alongside the other heroes.

edit
He looks like a dorky Schumacher super-hero.
5D617e6.png

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The Odeon Chapel Dweller from Bloodborne is this.
latest

He looks like a monster, and he talks and laughs like a madman when he asks you to bring survivors to him. But it turns out that he is actually one of the nicest characters in the game, he's completely genuine with everything he says and he does just want to save people. It's a contrast to the other person you can send the survivors to, a regular seeming woman who is actually a mad scientist that turns them into monsters and will try to kill you when you confront her.
True.

On the other hand...
bnoFBJjEjU0voTy1_Yifnr0DebOYL75mOPpkUaYTUvs.jpg

Turns out the filthy, blood-stained bloke your player character catches in the act of devouring a human cadaver is actually somewhat suspicious... šŸ˜†

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Best i can think of is this guy, Skull Knight from Berserk.
a83ee5f28cbb3f7182be7cf22de6e172.jpg

Skull Knight is genuinely the most noble and heroic character in Berserk, despite looking like he walked straight off of a heavy metal album cover and only ever showing up around extreme concentrations of demonic chaos.
Hell even his text blocks look evil.
3zxb7uzn6bax.png

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Snape? Kind of? I mean, the series definitely paints him as a good guy at the end (even if he was really just more obsessed with his high school crush than he was a Nazi, although he'd been team Nazi for a while there). But also the "he seems evil!" business was in-universe double agentry, so it's less trope subversion and more, y'know, actual deception.

digitalsea

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

The second this fucker shows up in The Expanse books/show, you just know he's going to be a problem.