• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Let's face it on some 8-bit and 16-bit 2D games we have to fill in the blanks of what the character looks like due to sprite resolution limits.

So imagine for years you've had an idea in your head of what a character is meant to to look like, then a few years later, the developers shows a higher detail model in a next game or a high res piece of concert art and it's totally different to how you thought the character was meant to look.

That's what I want to talk about today.

Spudstercool

Jul 14, 2019
Not 2D->3D, but Guybrush Threepwood's new hand-drawn design in Curse of Monkey Island (Monkey Island 3) looked very different from how I imagined him.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's not 2d, but there are alot of characters from past GTA games that appear in GTA 5 at much higher resolution and they look very strange

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
d64ynpx-aa7c5bc4-0067-4f71-a8f8-0ee22027ae06.jpg

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Green-haired Terra from Final Fantasy VI is the only Terra, though really outside of the enemies and character portraits I guess nothing in classic FF looks like the Amano artwork

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Green-haired Terra from Final Fantasy VI is the only Terra, though really outside of the enemies and character portraits I guess nothing in classic FF looks like the Amano artwork

Amano drawing everyone as blonde really takes the personality out of the classic games art when they redraw them for Theatrhtyhm and Dissidia without green and purple hair.

At least Terra has her Green hair in Dissidia as an alt outfit. I think they recoloured Faris' hair to purple in Theatrythm Curtain Call, but not Terra?

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I can't find a good picture atm, but I always used to think Ruby in FFIX was wearing a big hat over blue hair. Rather than a blue hair tie holding her hair up.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
tangentially related, but the high quality audio from Star Fox 64 makes Falco and Slippy sound surprisingly different to me, considering it's still the same audio from the original game, just without compression/filters

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Koopa Troopa in Mario 64:

Koopa Troopa in future 3D games:

I always thought the upper part of their head was white, like a duck, and not that it's just their eyes.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Maybe not what OP wants, but as a kid, I thought Freya in FF9 is a one-eyed race like Cyclop. I mistook her nose for the upper part of her mouth. Simply to say, she creeped me out when I played the game for the first time lol
Freya_Crescent_character.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Koopa Troopa in Mario 64:

Koopa Troopa in future 3D games:

I always thought the upper part of their head was white, like a duck, and not that it's just their eyes.
I feel like these threads always have the same old contenders, but this is a new one and I totally see how you could come to that conclusion if SM64 was basically your first and you hadn't really seen Koopas in any promo art.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not what OP wants, but as a kid, I thought Freya in FF9 is a one-eyed race like Cyclop. I mistook her nose for the upper part of her mouth. Simply to say, she creeped me out when I played the game for the first time lol
Freya_Crescent_character.jpg

Thats mine too
I remember being confused and thinking the hat was part of her face