• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I love nothing more than when a character's internal growth is reflected in their external physical appearance, as well.

Luke-fon-Fabre-Cosplay-Costume-From-Tales-of-the-Abyss-H008.jpg_640x640q70.jpg

Luke, from Tales of the Abyss, is the most obvious example I can think of. He starts off as a completely entitled, selfish jerk, but after a major event in the story traumatizes him and opens his eyes to reality, his character starts to evolve into someone more heroic and caring.

He also has the signature haircut to go along with it.

e043c372faeaabe6b891e5ad815abe5e8f7d7d45_hq.jpg

His short haired appearance is much more in line with previous Tales heroes, and his personality slowly changes to match someone befitting of his status as the lead protagonist, as well.

I do wish he dropped the belly shirt, but I did appreciate the redesign.

Luke.fon.Fabre.full.832369.jpg

Look how much better he'd look with decent clothes... alas.

What other characters physically change throughout the course of a single game in a cool way?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A2 from Nier: Automata, and Lillie from Pokemon Sun & Moon come to mind

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
oblig Noctis from FFXV, comes to resemble his father Regis somewhat after a 10 year timeskip. His posture and mannerisms become more refined, too as he grows into his role as King.

QLrxDHD.png

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Noctis from FFXV is the one that comes to mind right off the top of my head. I wouldnt say he actually grew as a character along with the change, since he was basically thrown in stasis the entire time lol. But he did change a bit over the course of the game.

I do love this though in games and other media. I had no idea about that Tales of the Abyss character change. I never finished it, but really need to go back.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Persona 3-5 cast change their uniforms and clothes based on the season.

ma.jpg

Persona 5 also has a plot bit.
Where your main character wears a gray hoodie whenever they go out because there supposed to be dead.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Im not even the biggest fan of FFXV in general, but Old Noctis is one of the better instances out there.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lillie in Sun and Moon abandoning her mom's choice of clothing for what the anime calls "Ganbar-Lillie"

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I love this trope.

FFIV is a memorable one with Cecil going from Dark Knight to Paladin.

Infinity Undiscovery and The Last Remnant too.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Looks like it'll happen to Ellie a couple times in TLOU II.

Also, Sora in Kingdom Hearts II starts out in his old outfit but then gets blessed by the drip milfs
9d42d953a7ee0e8dedcd8372bd712df520680c52_hq.jpg

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any game where the characters grow after a timeskip, like the FE3H characters, Ryu and Nina in Breath of Fire 3, etc.

Then there's costume change after a power up, like Cecil from FFIV and Rex from Xenoblade 2

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Also, Tekken 4 has one of the odder instances of this.

One of Jin's two costumes is this:
jin1.jpg

But when you get towards the end of either his, Kazuya and/or Heihachi's final few fights in Story Mode, he loses his shirt
latest

The weird thing about this is is that they went through the trouble of making this outfit exclusively for these sections in Story Mode. You can't unlock it later and use it in any other mode.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
One of my favourite tropes. While not entirely the same, I love how Younger John in RDR2 starts to reassemble the John we know and love as we progress through the game, culminating in him donning his signature garbs in the epilogue. Good shit.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Zack Fair from FFVII Crisis Core gets hair pulled back later in the game after promotion

grongtyq1psz.jpg

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Since it seems timeskips count, I present what is probably the original timeskip character:

Rydia_-_Young_menu.png
Rydia_-_Young_battle.png

To:

Rydia_-_Adult_menu.png
Rydia_-_Adult_battle.png

It's an interesting case because it's a timeskip that only affects her, due to spending several years in the land of Summoned Monsters, where time flows faster compared to the outside world.

Weirdly, it's not the only green-haired girl in a 90's SquareSoft RPG that gets a character-exclusive age-up: Emeralda from Xenogears also fits that weirdly specific combination of descriptors:
EmeraldaArt.png

Also predates Senator Armstrong in using "nanomachines, son" as convenient ad-hoc explanation; her instant age-up is facilitated by the fact that she's a sentient nanomachine colony.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Lillie in Pokemon Sun/Moon, symbolizing her gained confidence after standing up to her mom.

Duraigo

Nov 28, 2017
Max from Max Payne 3
These are taken from a wikia page that shows more of his looks throughout the game
In the flash back segments he looks like his usual self
latest

For the earlier half set in the present he grows a beard
latest

And for the later half set in the present he shaves his head
latest

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Both Kingdom Hearts 2 and 3 make a big deal about getting Sora a new outfit, and start him off with his one from the previous game.