• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm watching Young Justice for the first time and the most ridiculous the about the show is how EVERY episode ends with something like this--

Superhero: We did it! We stopped the villains from destroying Canada!

*elsewhere in undisclosed location*

Villain: The attack on Canada was just a ruse. Having the heroes in Canada allowed us to take over Mexico. Furthermore, the heroes unknowingly turned all of Canada's maple syrup into a nuclear weapon that we are currently loading into our guns that the heroes unknowingly built for us in last week's episode.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That's a Weisman thing. I think it was less egregious in his previous shows but he REALLY overdoes it in Young Justice.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Aizen thread
8d57f3026957330a3926a7f035e53d0471264b77_hq.gif

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Y6KyarX.jpg

He's a tactical genius. He can anticipate the attack style of an enemy species by studying their art, and can pick up on the smallest of cues to figure out what an enemy is thinking.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
That's a Weisman thing. I think it was less egregious in his previous shows but he REALLY overdoes it in Young Justice.
Yeah, it's honestly the only thing about YJ I didn't care for, even if the payoff at the end made it kind of make sense at the time. Like, do we really need some league of villains to always be headed by Luthor, Ra's or Savage just to make this a thing?

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Mention this in a thread recently but Amon in Korra was guilty of this. Always having a plan in place to counter whatever the heroes throw out, including the navy from the Fire Nation. The Equalist were just a bunch of random civilians who just happen to have advance tech and were beating everyone like they were nothing.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, this is a good one, even better than Aizen. Aizen doesn't explicitly plan to lose, he just never gets fully knocked out. Half of Naraku's plans are designed to fail for .... reasons?
I mean you say this but I remember them explicitly saying the thing that allowed Ichigo to beat Aizen was that deep down a part of him wished he wasn't so much stronger than everyone else and so the hogyoku granted that wish too allowing Aizen to be restricted or some bullshit like that, so technically the reason Aizen lost was that a part of him wanted to lose

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you say this but I remember them explicitly saying the thing that allowed Ichigo to beat Aizen was that deep down a part of him wished he wasn't so much stronger than everyone else and so the hogyoku granted that wish too allowing Aizen to be restricted or some bullshit like that, so technically the reason Aizen lost was that a part of him wanted to lose

Yeah but that's also when Aizen stops scheming (he even throws away his sword?). When he schemes, he tries to win. A lot of Naraku scams involve getting other people to fight Inuyasha, them losing, them saying to Naraku "how could I lose," and him laughing and saying "oh you were always fucked, bye"

I'm rewatching it all now since I never finished the last season or so, and it's more noticeable to me now lol

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The villains in the Trails series feel like this (I haven't played CS 4 yet).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, absolutely this. Hell, the only competent woman in that entire story was handed the idiot ball as an excuse for him to kill her off because the hack author concluded that she "would've caught Kira too soon".
The villains in the Trails series feel like this (I haven't played CS 4 yet).
Oh yeah, them too. inb4 av quote, even though

she joins the good guys in that game.

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Mention this in a thread recently but Amon in Korra was guilty of this. Always having a plan in place to counter whatever the heroes throw out, including the navy from the Fire Nation. The Equalist were just a bunch of random civilians who just happen to have advance tech and were beating everyone like they were nothing.
That's a terrible example. Amon was never a step ahead of the heroes and was relying upon his blood bending powers to enact his plans. The second Korra overpowered his blood bending, his entire plan fell apart because he was never a step ahead of the heroes. Then the dude got murder-suicided by his own brother.

Even Amon's brother is a better use of this trope because at least he had a plan after being caught. Amon had nothing

Varrick is the best example from Korra, but no one counts him since he's a comedic character

Nov 17, 2017
The Equalists were trained in chi-blocking (remember when Korra and Tarrlok's task force raid one of their training spots?) so it's not like they were just handed some ropes and stuff and told to go wild. This was something that Amon had been planning for some time, probably for years underground. It'd have to be for the kind of operation he pulls off. Korra kind of just comes into the situation while it's reaching its final stages and Amon has to actively adjust his plans to account for her presence.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Never seen Young Justice, but having seen Gargoyles, it was great. It really wasn't overdone in the series. Like you know Xanatos has a scheme, but he still gets foiled. It's also not like he's always ahead.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Young Justice is stupid like that. Pretty much tune out the story once I saw a solo Sportsmaster beating all the YJ members and escape unscathed.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
This trope sounds like a modified Xanatos gambit, but not nearly as fun. Though I remember early Aizen being done well. Never kept up with Bleach after the Arrancar arc.