• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
MUl9G.jpg
Good thing I read through the thread. I was about to post this.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
abb2dd513ad66852c599568e6ab742d4.jpg

What could've been. Cole from Infamous 2 before fans got upset at how much less boring this design was compared to the first game.

As a huge inFAMOUS fan, I really liked this Cole redesign. Sometimes gamers are insufferable. Especially when their entitlement kicks in. I hope that Sucker Punch learned a valuable lesson from this, and sticks to their vision for their games, only addressing fan "input" when it comes to actually improving gameplay, like the QoL stuff they're adding to Ghost of Tsushima next week along with the new co-op mode content.

I mean, inFAMOUS 2 was still an awesome game to play, and the "updated Cole" for that one is fine enough, but this one I thought was a really cool redesign. I felt like it was simple and understated. Not overdesigned, and fit where Cole was at both character wise and the new settings (a warm, probably humid environment, as New Marais is a New Orleans analogue). If we ever get a remake of inFAMOUS 1 and 2, they should go with this design for both games (obviously, give him the jacket from inFAMOUS 1, then ditch it for 2, but with everything else from this design).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a huge inFAMOUS fan, I really liked this Cole redesign. Sometimes gamers are insufferable. Especially when their entitlement kicks in. I hope that Sucker Punch learned a valuable lesson from this, and sticks to their vision for their games, only addressing fan "input" when it comes to actually improving gameplay, like the QoL stuff they're adding to Ghost of Tsushima next week along with the new co-op mode content.

I mean, inFAMOUS 2 was still an awesome game to play, and the "updated Cole" for that one is fine enough, but this one I thought was a really cool redesign. I felt like it was simple and understated. Not overdesigned, and fit where Cole was at both character wise and the new settings (a warm, probably humid environment, as New Marais is a New Orleans analogue). If we ever get a remake of inFAMOUS 1 and 2, they should go with this design for both games (obviously, give him the jacket from inFAMOUS 1, then ditch it for 2, but with everything else from this design).
He also doesn't actually look anything like the actual character he's supposed to be in a game that only takes place a few weeks after the original.

You're seriously going to pull out the "entitlement" card for this? Imagine if DmC wasn't a reboot and they just decided to make Dante look like that. That's what Nathan Cole was.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
What's the difference?

Both Nate and Elena got subtle changes to better "resemble" Nolan North and Emily Rose.

Sometimes gamers are "insufferable" for a good reason. Neither character model was unique. The in-game version of the character looked equally as bland and basic as the one they used. The exception being: The final one actually resembled the original game's Cole.

Sometimes "being insufferable" isn't a bad thing (and I say that as someone who agrees that gamers are quite often very entitled dipshits.)

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rathalos from Monster Hunter. Both the 1st redesign (Middle row) and 2nd redesign (Bottom row) were massive improvements over the original look of the monster.

4B5y8us.jpg

It's especially noticeable when you put the oldest model right next to the newest.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Bass vs Bass.EXE. There is actually quite a lot of EXE designs I like over the original but I'll just post this one.

latest
latest

MMX Zero vs MMZ Zero. I don't hate the original design at all, but I really really like the sleeker redesign.

Zero-mmx.png
latest

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rathalos from Monster Hunter. Both the 1st redesign (Middle row) and 2nd redesign (Bottom row) were massive improvements over the original look of the monster.

4B5y8us.jpg

It's especially noticeable when you put the oldest model right next to the newest.

Looks like the exact same design to me...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
KH1 Sora is the worst Sora and every time Square Enix brings him back I'm disappointed

Also Yoshi was vastly improved after World

mario_punch_yoshi.jpg

super_mario__yoshi_run_2d_by_joshuat1306_dcqz8w9-fullview.png

Urianger from FFXIV, I really disliked his first look

his new look:

OG Urianger always looked like a more generic NPC to me so I was very confused the more he started popping up in the plot. His redesign was much needed.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the exact same design to me...
Then I suggest you look closer? Just because the changes are more subtle than some of the others in this thread doesn't mean they're not there. Longer nose, smaller and neater teeth that don't jut out of the mouth when closed, larger lips, completely different color patterns. Not to mention the much larger wings and shorter, more bird-like body proportions.

Next year, we're likely gonna have the 2nd version of Rathalos (Smash Ultimate, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate) and the 3rd version of Rathalos (Monster Hunter Rise) on the same hardware.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint to this thread:. Entire crew from Xenosaga Ep 1

Except Ziggy. He always looks like trash.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Then I suggest you look closer? Just because the changes are more subtle than some of the others in this thread doesn't mean they're not there. Longer nose, smaller and neater teeth that don't jut out of the mouth when closed, larger lips, completely different color patterns. Not to mention the much larger wings and shorter, more bird-like body proportions.

Next year, we're likely gonna have the 2nd version of Rathalos (Smash Ultimate, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate) and the 3rd version of Rathalos (Monster Hunter Rise) on the same hardware.
But they weren't redesigned. Just had more polygons added

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DMC1-4 Dante to DmC Dante was an astronomical glowup.

Shame it was followed by his worst design with DMC5. Ah well.

Oct 27, 2017
That Tawna redesign is really bad. Not sure what they were thinking.
Love Crash 4, but Alt-Tawna is pretty "meh" design wise (It's good that her gameplay is fun though because if it wasn't I legitimately think she'd be as contentious as Sonic's post-Sonic 3 & K pre-Colors friends). Honestly, this would've been so much better imo
lver0qmas8m51.jpg

Even taking into account what I know about the story, I still don't understand why they didn't drop the AU character angle and just do something like this with classic Tawna. The remakes already showed her being tougher and more independent anyways.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

The concept art may look great but what they did show looked horrendous and nothing like Cole.

Honestly, I wanna watch the movie with that freak on the left now to see if it's still enjoyable.

There are unfinished bonus scenes on the bluray you can find on youtube. It's .... worse than you think.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
images

portrait-ken-2.jpg

Before I explain, I'm talking about the conceptual design and not so much the execution. I know it's become a meme and everyone has beaten the dead horse but I stand by this design being an amazing and simplistic, modern design that did a fantastic job speaking to Ken's personality in the design itself. I know his character select portrait and hair look stupid but in-game it looks fine although it definitely could have been translated better from art to game engine.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think Ryu Hayabusa is one of the best examples of this in gaming to the point it seems like the re-design completely overshadows and replaced the original in pop culture osmosis due to be more unique, striking and memorable (plus it being more promoted like being in Halo 3 helps):
Nah, Team Ninja just couldn't do this badassery justice

f4b712ba65c5d731a3e198c6de10e8ed.jpg

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I personally think Ryu Hayabusa is one of the best examples of this in gaming to the point it seems like the re-design completely overshadows and replaced the original in pop culture osmosis due to be more unique, striking and memorable (plus it being more promoted like being in Halo 3 helps):

Original Ryu Hayabusa just looked like a generic ninja. Literally nothing visually distinct about the original design. To put it succinctly, the original design was so by the numbers, would look like a NPC by today's standards.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The concept art may look great but what they did show looked horrendous and nothing like Cole.

There are unfinished bonus scenes on the bluray you can find on youtube. It's .... worse than you think.

That was another version. I'm not talking about what they ultimately went with for that early reveal trailer, but the specific look from the concept art. Cole's redesign went through a lot of different iterations. I'm not a fan of the one from that screenshot, but I like the one from the concept art, and thought it would have been a better one to go with than the one they chose for the announcement/reveal trailer.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That was another version. I'm not talking about what they ultimately went with for that early reveal trailer, but the specific look from the concept art. Cole's redesign went through a lot of different iterations. I'm not a fan of the one from that screenshot, but I like the one from the concept art, and thought it would have been a better one to go with than the one they chose for the announcement/reveal trailer.

Yeah but I'm saying what people got upset about wasn't the cool concept art, it was the pathetic new redesign they debuted him as.

Eventually people mixed the two caused they were already angry at it but I don't think people would have been annoyed at the concept art.

He looks like Cole there, unlike what they debuted. It's kinda like Donte in DmC, the reveal Donte was unacceptable and final version was fine really.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But they weren't redesigned. Just had more polygons added
...We literally have the devs describing the specific redesign processes (Structure of the feet, overall body proportions, longer nose) in writing for Tri.

I feel like people in this thread don't actually understand what "more polygons" means. Rathalos was redesigned. They did not just take the Monster Hunter 1 design and increase the number of polygons, they changed numerous aspects while creating newer versions to make a design that better reflected the intent and role of the monster.

Here's Rathalos on the oh-so-high-poly 3DS. He is still very obviously the Tri design instead of the PS2 design.

mh4-7.jpg

Last edited: