• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Urianger from FFXIV, I really disliked his first look

his new look:

Everyone in FF14 got a huge upgrade when comparing their ARR look to their Shadowbringers look. Just look at Y'shtola...

220px-Y%27shtola.png
latest

The entire case...
Ym2OY5i.jpg

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
latest

OIP.dOl3xAr8aah1Xac861Nh5wHaLd

From generic NPC in generic mage armor to literal ray of sunshine in one of the most distintive outfite in the game.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The Yakuza guy himself, as the years goes on, new hardwares, new techs, you could say it's redesign or evolution.

In chronological order of the games released.

Yakuza 1 & 2.

Yakuza 3, 4, & 5.

Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1.

Yakuza 6 & Kiwami 2.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Not a character per se, but one of ther outfits.

Old Gravity Suit

latest

Metroid Samus Returns Gravity Suit

latest

I really dislike Lyra and think Crystal looked way better. Like, who wants to play as Pippi Longstocking?
237.png
Lyra and Kris are meant to be different characters. That said, Kris design is way better than Lyra. Shame that in the Adventures manga, in the HG/SS chapter, they decided to put Crystal in Lyra's outfit.

Last edited:

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Warioware Wario IS Wario now.

latest

full

If Wario Land ever makes a comeback I would much rather have the Warioware Wario design over the less interesting "bad mario" original. Like I know that was the point but if you're going to keep a character around it's probably best to evolve them beyond the original one sentence joke.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
These look nothing like a re-design to me, and they are simply making them look closer to their actual original incarnations on hardware that allows for it.

Nah, the Wii was fully capable of cel-shading. If you compare concept art they are completely different. Xenoblade just didn't find an art style that worked until Xenoblade 2. Which is ironic considering how much people dunk on it on this website. The problem with Xenoblade 2 was never its art style but always the character design. I think Xenoblade DE is a great middle ground and it's what I'd like to see the series pursue going forward instead of changing art style every game.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
The Yakuza guy himself, as the years goes on, new hardwares, new techs, you could say it's redesign or evolution.

In chronological order of the games released.

Yakuza 1 & 2.

Yakuza 3, 4, & 5.

Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1.

Yakuza 6 & Kiwami 2.

Why is Kiryu always scowling? I know he's not always doing it through the games but promotional shots always have him doing the american kirby.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
The same reason why Mario doesn't look like this-
Mario+Redesign+Comparison.png

Sometimes less is more and I think that's what the Reignited Trilogy missed out on. The original dragon designs don't exactly scream personality, you're right, but for something you see for a couple of seconds they never needed to. It's entirely subjective but I'd say the redesigns look more generic than the originals for being so busy. That's not to say all the designs in the game are bad. Spyro looks the best he ever has and Bianca looks great (though not as menacing as her original design) but other characters like Sheila and Hunter stray too far from their original looks and aren't any better off for it.
I agree with your point completely, the Spyro redesigns are a mixed bag for me too. that being said I didnt find anything there nearly as cursed as this Mario 'redesign'. at least the realistic one is trying to be a bit funny, as opposed to a played-straight redesign with Mario in a plaid shirt. Why.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the Wii was fully capable of cel-shading. If you compare concept art they are completely different.

???

www.creativeuncut.com

Xenoblade Chronicles Art Gallery

Gallery of official artwork and character pictures from Xenoblade Chronicles.

I think there's a misunderstanding on what a redesign actually is. All of the characters went through iterations before release, but their finalized forms that are represented outside of the game are still their concept art. The comparison between the in game models of XC to DE is a bad one, because they were not redesigned much, if at all. They are much closer to their original, official artwork. And sure, the Wii was capable of cel-shading, but I'm not sure it would have been able to make the characters look quite as good as they do now.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
abb2dd513ad66852c599568e6ab742d4.jpg

What could've been. Cole from Infamous 2 before fans got upset at how much less boring this design was compared to the first game.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
???

www.creativeuncut.com

Xenoblade Chronicles Art Gallery

Gallery of official artwork and character pictures from Xenoblade Chronicles.

I think there's a misunderstanding on what a redesign actually is. All of the characters went through iterations before release, but their finalized forms that are represented outside of the game are still their concept art. The comparison between the in game models of XC to DE is a bad one, because they were not redesigned much, if at all. They are much closer to their original, official artwork. And sure, the Wii was capable of cel-shading, but I'm not sure it would have been able to make the characters look quite as good as they do now.

Yeah the art style is different.
Shulk.%28Xenoblade%29.full.2378557.jpg

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the art style is different.
Shulk.%28Xenoblade%29.full.2378557.jpg

Yep, that above image is definitely different, but it's also not a complete character redesign either. The way the in game characters look from the original game and DE are not, aside from the obvious straight up "polygon" look, to now the cel-shaded look. The above Shulk does not look like the Shulk in the comparison image. If anything, there's now more of a disconnect between their new aesthetic with what is in game compared to the way they were drawn up until this point, because they don't look like the above. They look like the originals, and the comparison shots that I quoted in my original post show as much.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My vote goes to Remake Carlos.

Such a shame it got wasted on such a trashy game :/

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Yep, that above image is definitely different, but it's also not a complete character redesign either. The way the in game characters look from the original game and DE are not, aside from the obvious straight up "polygon" look, to now the cel-shaded look. The above Shulk does not look like the Shulk in the comparison image. If anything, there's now more of a disconnect between their new aesthetic with what is in game compared to the way they were drawn up until this point, because they don't look like the above. They look like the originals, and the comparison shots that I quoted in my original post show as much.

Well you were quoting concept art so that's why I pulled concept art for DE to show they look different. Yes it's not a redesign but it's certainly close enough to get a mention in the thread.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Such a shame the really excellent Wondergirl design is only in the game for like five minutes.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Yea they have done an outstanding job. Let's just say the women are all much better designed, like holy hell looking back....ugh

ttkhl2yb4dy41.png
r0xrugt8c2h21.jpg

I don't get why they sexualised the women in Mortal Kombat so much. I'm a dumb straight (kind of) dude so I get T&A but I feel like the mix of gory violence would be really creepy. I know some horror films mix sex and horror but I always found that kind of uncomfortable. Maybe that's the point.

Feb 24, 2018
I personally think Ryu Hayabusa is one of the best examples of this in gaming to the point it seems like the re-design completely overshadows and replaced the original in pop culture osmosis due to be more unique, striking and memorable (plus it being more promoted like being in Halo 3 helps):