• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Is it me or that gif is reversed just to be more homophobic? It's kiss and then elbow to the stomach instead of elbow to the stomach during wrestling/training and then kiss.
That seems like a slight difference, but implications changes.
No that's how it is in the game. It's not a training session, it's the final boss fight. Ocelot just goes for the kiss in the middle of a fight to the death. Which is why Snake elbows him in the gut afterwards.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Miller and Big Boss himself are also implied to not be straight, even if you take this as non-canon.
maxresdefault.jpg

Never played this part and at first glance thought it meant the CQC button ass-slaps, that'd be fucking amazing

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is so adorable!
Yeah I legit aw'd out loud upon seeing that haha

Folks mentioned Sora and Riku, and while I do ship them, imo it's mostly Riku that fits the bill of the thread.

My own reading of the canon is that Sora harbors brotherly affection for Riku and romantic affection for Kairi. What is debatable however is Riku's own feelings towards Sora. You can say it's also platonic...but I genuinely believe a case can be made about it bordering on something more.

The wording of his affection for Sora, the hyper-fixation on Sora... everything about him and his situation reminds me of a particular archetype which I've seen in the likes of Kaworu from NGE, Ryo from Devilman and (this one is more debateable) Griffon from Berserk. None of these cases have an outright declaration of love but there is a very clear sense of homoerotism to their fixation towards the respective protagonists.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'd assume the fact that the option is there is a pretty hard confirm that Max is bisexual. There's like no doubt whatsoever that she's into girls (I honestly think she had a thing for Kate too lol) but she also seems to like guys as well, as with Warren who you can make her kiss and flirt with (my Max did too based on the choices I made).

Rachel and Chloe are seemingly bisexual too by the game's actions, given Chloe is totally fine flirting with dudes (I think she even mentioned hooking up with some random guys while Max was gone) and the story point with Rachel in the first game.
There's no doubt Max and Chloe are bi/pan. Replaying it currently and I definitely get the feeling Max has more than platonic feelings for Kate too.
But then again, Dontnod isn't trying to deconfirm their characters being diverse in sexual orientation, they actively embrace it.
Gonna need some sources for this.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
No that's how it is in the game. It's not a training session, it's the final boss fight. Ocelot just goes for the kiss in the middle of a fight to the death. Which is why Snake elbows him in the gut afterwards.
Got it thanks. Watched the youtube clip of it, must say that it still looks and moves weird.

Also never played any MGS except for Revengence, your explanation makes it sound like Kingdom Hearts type of convoluted lore. Not your explanation's fault it probably is. So, Ocelot who works and is in love with Snake have a deathmatch boss fight with him while in somehow disguise of Liquid Snake?

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Huh, the Sorey and Mikleo thing makes sense though. I never thought much about it during the game, but yeah, seeing the posts, good one.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Got it thanks. Watched the youtube clip of it, must say that it still looks and moves weird.

Also never played any MGS except for Revengence, your explanation makes it sound like Kingdom Hearts type of convoluted lore. Not your explanation's fault it probably is. So, Ocelot who works and is in love with Snake have a deathmatch boss fight with him while in somehow disguise of Liquid Snake?
Who Ocelot works for is... complicated. Actually, everything concerning Ocelot is more or less Kingdom Hearts level complicated, yes. He lost his arm to a cyborg ninja, got Liquid snake's arm as a replacement, got possessed by the ghost of Liquid through the arm, got the arm replaced, but continued to act as if possessed as Liquid, got too into the role and sort of forgot to be Ocelot, and then we have the MGS4 fight there, where he's getting the Liquid pummeled out of him by Snake.

Ocelot is a recurring character in a series where the plot doesn't just go off the road, it lives in a shed in the middle of nowhere and reads all the conspiracy theories. So of course he's complicated.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Chris Redfield is not some kind of a gay icon. He is just another short haired muscle dude with a little facial hair. People just find him sexy, and that's why they want him to be gay. Not that I mind, Chris is a pretty '' iconic '' game character so it'd be great if he was gay, but I'd rather take a new character (from another franchise) because these sudden '' oh he is gay btw after several game entries '' things really annoy me.

Would "oh he is straight btw" after several game entries also really annoy you? Because Chris hasn't ever been shown to be in a heterosexual relationship either.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Would "oh he is straight btw" after several game entries also really annoy you? Because Chris hasn't ever been shown to be in a heterosexual relationship either.
Yes, it would, but less so than if he was announced gay. Look, I just want gay characters whose sexuality is embraced, not implemented when there's political and or financial gain. Of course, sometimes a character's sexuality forms and builds as their story progresses, but I'd rather have gay character's whose sexuality and their potential romantic storyline isn't introduced after 3+ games. Gay characters deserve better.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yes, it would, but less so than if he was announced gay. Look, I just want gay characters whose sexuality is embraced, not implemented when there's political and or financial gain. Of course, sometimes a character's sexuality forms and builds as their story progresses, but I'd rather have gay character's whose sexuality and their potential romantic storyline isn't introduced after 3+ games. Gay characters deserve better.

I agree with you on that. Still, I'd rather have "hints and subtext" than nothing at all. With Chris, it works because his sexuality was never a big part of his character in the first place, and it doesn't have to be. But I also hope that we get more overtly LGBT characters in the future.

Jan 11, 2018
Who Ocelot works for is... complicated. Actually, everything concerning Ocelot is more or less Kingdom Hearts level complicated, yes.

MGS4 retcons it so that he was never actually possessed by the ghost of Liquid. Instead, he underwent extreme hypno-therapy in order to become Liquid's mental doppelganger as part of his plan to fool the Patriots. The player goes through several phases during the boss fight with him, each mirroring a different MGS game. At a first glance it feels like pure fan service, but each phase jogs his memory a little bit until "Liquid" finally drops from his name and he's back to being regular old Ocelot again (and this is when he kisses Solid Snake, who reminds him of Big Boss).

On the subject of Kaz and Big Boss though:

Official audio drama (referenced by Paz in Ground Zeroes). Rather steamy.

And an unofficial English dub for those who're interested:

Also...

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
I agree with you on that. Still, I'd rather have "hints and subtext" than nothing at all. With Chris, it works because his sexuality was never a big part of his character in the first place, and it doesn't have to be. But I also hope that we get more overtly LGBT characters in the future.
Sure, but I still want more stories about gay relationships, successful ones, and important ones. And for that to happen, sexuality needs to be pretty important.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
No it isnt, and telling gay people that have spent over a decade with constant hints that theyre reaching is pretty scummy. We are the ones most able to read that shit.

What the hell kind of post is this. Scummy lol? I thought you were joking with your earlier post but clearly someone not thinking Chris is gay is serious business.

I'm bi and am well aware of the "Chris is gay" theory and didn't get that from Claire's reaction to the letter at all.

I mean, he could be gay, and maybe her reaction is a hint, but it could just as easily not be.

I read that letter in Leon's game and I was confused cuz it didn't sound like Chris but thought maybe he was just joking around. Or maybe Capcom had rewritten him just like they changed his face in RE7. I was missing the context that the letter was fake and Claire's game was the one that made it clear. Also, I figured she meant it didn't sound like him cuz Chris isn't really some frathouse douchebag. Not to mention in retrospect the whole thing just doesn't sound right.

And I still don't know what's going on with the letter. Did Chris in fact write it as some kind of clue or did someone else write it to muddy the waters?

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
And I still don't know what's going on with the letter. Did Chris in fact write it as some kind of clue or did someone else write it to muddy the waters?
Chris wrote it. He was trying to cover up the fact that he was investigating Umbrella in Europe by making it seem like he was just enjoying a typical vacation.

"I just got back from a date with a hot chick. Bet you can guess what we got up to under her extra-large umbrella."

The letter's purpose is to let Barry and Jill know he's doing OK, and that he doesn't need any backup.

"Barry, don't you even think of coming to join me. Wouldn't want to make all the cute girls cry, yeah? So you just leave the babes to me."

So yeah, a coded message, so that if the corrupt Chief Irons were to stumble upon it, he'd be none the wiser about what Chris is really up to. People are free to view Chris as gay, but this in particular is far from the confirmation or hint they believe it to be.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

Good God I feel stupid for not even catching Umbrella in that letter until right now lol.

I also assumed the letter was written by Chief Irons or something to make it seem like Chris was safe when he actually wasn't.

Guess I just read the whole situation wrong. I think it could have come across a little clearer actually.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Good God I feel stupid for not even catching Umbrella in that letter until right now lol.

I also assumed the letter was written by Chief Irons or something to make it seem like Chris was safe when he actually wasn't.

Guess I just read the whole situation wrong. I think it could have come across a little clearer actually.
I don't even blame you for thinking that, but what made me believe it was Chris is the final line:

"Jill, if Claire tries to contact you, please let her know I'm OK."

Sure, it still could've been Irons, but his scene in the parking lot with Claire leads me to believe he doesn't know of, or care about her.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Is it me or that gif is reversed just to be more homophobic? It's kiss and then elbow to the stomach instead of elbow to the stomach during wrestling/training and then kiss.
That seems like a slight difference, but implications changes.

what's homophobic about responding to sexual assault with an elbow to the stomach ?

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
what's homophobic about responding to sexual assault with an elbow to the stomach ?
Not sure if you're serious or trolling. In case you are serious: You know that's fiction right? Also visibility matters in fiction, but that's homophobic to use predatory gay stereotypes and "gay panic !" again and again.

Specifically for that gif, wasn't sure what was happening there, since I'm not really familiar with MGS's lore. However a character, ocelot, who people say in love with Snake -and I know he was some sort of friend/colleague to Snake- is seen fighting/training with him. So in that context a kiss after an elbow attack between two friends is normal and teasing but an elbow attack after a kiss implies gay panic! (which is one of the worst and grossest trope since unfortunately it's an unacceptable real motive for murder in the shitty corners of the world). On the other hand here's another type of sexual assault scene in a game and how the character reacts;
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/39100000/-Dante-and-Kat-dante-and-kat-39103733-500-200.gif
Notice any difference how game makers choose to handle or not handle the sexual assault by the main character?

Back to the gif since it is explained that weirdly backward moving gif is not edited, and ocelot is something else than just ocelot(!?), it makes it just homophobic gay panic cutscene.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if you're serious or trolling. In case you are serious: You know that's fiction right? Also visibility matters in fiction, but that's homophobic to use predatory gay stereotypes and "gay panic !" again and again.

Specifically for that gif, wasn't sure what was happening there, since I'm not really familiar with MGS's lore. However a character, ocelot, who people say in love with Snake -and I know he was some sort of friend/colleague to Snake- is seen fighting/training with him. So in that context a kiss after an elbow attack between two friends is normal and teasing but an elbow attack after a kiss implies gay panic! (which is one of the worst and grossest trope since unfortunately it's an unacceptable real motive for murder in the shitty corners of the world). On the other hand here's another type of sexual assault scene in a game and how the character reacts;
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/39100000/-Dante-and-Kat-dante-and-kat-39103733-500-200.gif
Notice any difference how game makers choose to handle or not handle the sexual assault by the main character?

Back to the gif since it is explained that weirdly backward moving gif is not edited, and ocelot is something else than just ocelot(!?), it makes it just homophobic gay panic cutscene.
That's the final boss fight of MGS4, Snake and Ocelot are trying to beat eachother to death lmfaoo

Ocelot was a friend of Big Boss (Naked Snake), that is Solid Snake.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Granblue Fantasy has a bunch of that. Lancelot and Vane, Anne and Grea, Silva and Song, Yuel and Societte. It's pretty damn overt at times but of course they'll never confirm it because every character also has to be player sexual because of otaku pandering.

Npc_zoom_3040179000_02.png

Npc_zoom_3030272000_02.png

They are just REALLY good friends, we promise!

If Gacha counts...

Enkidu and Gil!
051f7e5d69c3a6cd336e2f2c88b398db.gif

Well they're probably bi at least.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Velvet and Eleanor in Tales of Berseria, there's even a kind of confession scene in Titania.

At the beginning of the game, Velvet is a little flirty with her friend Niko too.
This is news to me.

tumblr_ppm1ocmPKo1xp0ieuo1_250.gifv

Look at them tickle each other! ♫
(Tales of Zestiria)
This however was SUPER obvious. So much so that the anime went "screw it" and paired off the two heroines together (Rose and Alisha) as well.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
User warned: threadwhining
This thread is ridiculous. So you can't be loyal to and admire a person without being gay? Bromances are a thing, you know? This thread is insensitive.

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
With characters like Sylvando it can be assumed because his actions and speech display a pattern of clear interest in men over woman. Anything unlike that is reaching and kinda ignores the spectrum in sexuality and gender. If you're assuming a character is homosexual because they act a little like the other gender or they show affection to a same sex character , you've got it wrong.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
You can be loyal and admire a person while being gay too.
Exactly.
Like previously someone said, when the characters are openly gay;
Uppsettero guys: "Please dont shoehorn gayness", "I dont need to know their sexuality" or "Are you really sure they are not at least bi, or one time thing?".
When the characters obviously flirting or a couple;
Upsettero guys: "Give me a break they can be bros". "You're reading too much to it. Everybros can tickle, cuddle, wow to become one, don't be insensitive to bromance".

When Chris is perfect example to this thread, gay but unconfirmed;
Upsettero guys: "Chris is a serious guy who's married to his job". "He doesnt like sex. No private parts of him touched any other guy private parts!" "Geez!"
Anything to deny.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That gay romance in tales of zestiria mentioned in this thread has made me very interested to play it. That's some cute shit.

Also Yusuke better be romancable in Persona 5 Royal, they are already making it quite clear that Akechi might be a gay option.
Couldnt give a shit about Ryuji though, hes scum

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
This is news to me.

This however was SUPER obvious. So much so that the anime went "screw it" and paired off the two heroines together (Rose and Alisha) as well.

Lol what?? Mikleo and Sorea for sure i get that but where did they pull Rose and Alisha from. I don't think i even remember those two even talking to one another in the game.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
That gay romance in tales of zestiria mentioned in this thread has made me very interested to play it. That's some cute shit.

Also Yusuke better be romancable in Persona 5 Royal, they are already making it quite clear that Akechi might be a gay option.
Couldnt give a shit about Ryuji though, hes scum

Ryuji is the only sane dude Joker knows. I wish him a nice fullfilling relationship with someone capable of expressing their feelings and supporting him, so Ryuji would be the only choice in a world where people don't prefer to have their fictional romances be angst central or "wouldn't it be funny if..?" crap.

Yusuke is a wonderful person, but woefully socially inept while Akechi is, you know...
I wish nothing but the best to my virtual children. Don't settle for joke ships just to have any kind of representation at all. That's just sad.

If you give the player the option to enter a same sex relationship, it should feel just as "right" and natural (or at least mutual) as the mixed-sex options. Not just the joke character or some throwaway extra character they tacked on for that purpose only.
That's also exactly why people are so cross with the gay same sex options in Fire Emblem Three Houses. I personally love Linhardt to death, but there should be an option for one of the main characters you spend all game in cutscenes with as well, there's no reason not to (especially with Dimitri, sorry Claude stans).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I just dont get the Phoenix x Edgeworth shipping besides "theyre pretty dudes and should bang" cause not only phoenix is shown to even have a 'girlfriend' (as much as you can call dahlia that) in his past and be flusttered/interest with pretty women edgeworth is basically the opposite and never shows interest in anyone. There's a line in GK2 when he meets that flower lady assistant to that cook with an afro, but i dont know if its like that in the original or the fan translation took some liberty

And its not like AA steers away from this sort of thing, that purple haired horn lady from DD clearly loved Athenas mom.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ppm1ocmPKo1xp0ieuo1_250.gifv

Look at them tickle each other! ♫
(Tales of Zestiria)
Hideo Baba was also quoted as saying that they're each other's "one and only" (there are even titles or this in the game...) and that a traditional female pairing wouldn't work for Sorey. Not to mention the sauna skit in which Sorey thinks of Mikleo when Zaveid talks about babes, and the official manga in which Sorey keeps telling everyone how Mikleo is the very definition of beauty.

Not to mention moments like these in the anime:

There's even official artwork of these two in a yin-yang pose, traditionally reserved for romantic symbolism (like with Tidus and Yuna, for example).
That's amazing and Mikleo is super cute. I actually kinda want to play it for them now, except for the fact that it's not considered very good and I already thought the middle part of Berseria wasn't great.
I still played over 150h of it, just going through the motions after the beginning which I liked until the ending, which I also liked.

If Gacha counts...

Enkidu and Gil!
051f7e5d69c3a6cd336e2f2c88b398db.gif

Well they're probably bi at least.
After what I've been hearing about them in passing, I'm actually surprised to hear they aren't officially confirmed to be lovers. Guess I shouldn't be surprised knowing how companies are, but still.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of years ago I painted my nails for a while and was called gay a few times (in jest or otherwise) and it seems that this sort of incidental or small deviation from traditional concepts of masculinity solidifies someone as gay here on era as well. It's so shallow and silly.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Exactly.
Like previously someone said, when the characters are openly gay;
Uppsettero guys: "Please dont shoehorn gayness", "I dont need to know their sexuality" or "Are you really sure they are not at least bi, or one time thing?".
When the characters obviously flirting or a couple;
Upsettero guys: "Give me a break they can be bros". "You're reading too much to it. Everybros can tickle, cuddle, wow to become one, don't be insensitive to bromance".

When Chris is perfect example to this thread, gay but unconfirmed;
Upsettero guys: "Chris is a serious guy who's married to his job". "He doesnt like sex. No private parts of him touched any other guy private parts!" "Geez!"
Anything to deny.
It does seem like despite a lot of people stating that they are pro-LGBT, they are still uncomfortable with the idea that their favorite characters could be LGBT. And that especially is funny to me because we've been told forever that '' you shouldn't care whether a character is gay or straight, you should be able to like them and relate to them regardless! '' but when it's their favorite characters potentially not being as hetero as they thought, it's an issue.

If straight men especially want people to stop reading '' bromance and intense platonic friendship between dudes '' as romantic, they probably should start advocating and supporting gay characters in popular media more. Otherwise we're just going to '' read too much into '' subtle or less subtle hints of potential homosexuality between characters.

A couple of years ago I painted my nails for a while and was called gay a few times (in jest or otherwise) and it seems that this sort of incidental or small deviation from traditional concepts of masculinity solidifies someone as gay here on era as well. It's so shallow and silly.

Well, yes, it is shallow and silly, but when LGBT representation is non-existent, we look at stereotypes as hints that someone might be gay or whatever. What discussion can we really have about potential gay characters in video games if it's not about some vague stereotypes or intense friendships between two characters of the same sex?

Last edited:

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Kung Jin, there are several hints in MKX and MK11 but so far, NRS hasn't confirmed anything
r172453_.png

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Everyone is gay unless proven otherwise. Also you can't S-rank Dimitri as a male because he's already in love with Dedue

Also, I thought Vanille and Fang were sisters..?

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Well, yes, it is shallow and silly, but when LGBT representation is non-existent, we look at stereotypes as hints that someone might be gay or whatever. What discussion can we really have about potential gay characters in video games if it's not about some vague stereotypes or intense friendships between two characters of the same sex?
Plus that shallowness and silliness coming from real life oppression from people (uppsetteros) who makes gender defying people's life a literal hell, LGBT or not. Also we wouldn't be looking for hints, clues or signal to find our own if we could be open without worrying about safety.

P.S:Upsetteros as a term is such a gem. Thanks for the poster who released this gift to the world.