• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
ziwlxm8u0s931.png
"You're more than a friend, Teach."

Don't tell me he ain't open to it.

Sep 14, 2019
I don't think Luigi is gay, I think Luigi is just really really touched someone is treating him nicely when everyone else treats him like the lesser brother in SSS.

Wario and Waluigi and their mystery relationship on the other hand...
Are Waluigi and Wario cannonly not Brothers? As a kid that's always what I assumed. I would think that would rule out a relationship.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Luigi is gay, I think Luigi is just really really touched someone is treating him "nicely" when everyone else treats him like the lesser brother in SSS.

Wario and Waluigi and their mystery relationship on the other hand...

According to the Nintendo/Hudson sports games, they are brothers; but according to Sega (Sonic Olympic games) they are cousins until eventually retconned into them not being related.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of references to Japanese games and I'm assuming most can't actually speak Japanese. I wonder if cultural differences or script translations may make male or female friendships seem like lovers to Western gamers.
Depends. The Vanille/Fang relationship is totally queercoded using symbols that are culturally relevant to Japanese lesbians. They end up in a giant rose sleeping together in the exact same position as Utena and Anthy during the third part of the TV show. It's basically as obvious as a western guy asking another if he wants to come to his place to watch movies with gladiators.

Speaking of "Fang"... the relationship between Cammy and Juri in SF5 is interesting. I'm still not sure whether it's actual romance or if it's just the usual trope of "these two hate each other so much they should bang", like Kyô/Iori in KOF. Juri's interest in Cammy is at the very least equivalent to Claw's. Whether it's romance or psychopath attraction will probably never be resolved.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Sora deep down loves Riku more than Kairi. He broke down the moment he found him in KH2
Eh. I can see and have definitely seen Sora's feelings for Riku as romantic, I just don't think he's more in love with Riku than Kairi.

By the end of KH1 he was separated from Kairi, yes, but he knew where she was and that she was safe. He had every reason to believe he may never see Riku alive and well again. So when he was reunited with him in KH2 of course he was more emotional than he was when he saw Kairi.

Riku, however, I don't think was ever interested in Kairi as more than his friend.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Ignis seems like a stretch. Ignis acts like a parent more than anything else. Never really got any romantic undertones or subtext.
There was at least one line of dialog from the boys alluding to him being disinterested in women. Really, the biggest thing that at least supports the idea him and Gladio having something is how Gladio specifically acts about him after Altissia.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
But Claire doesn't know about Umbrella. It's both things because it's being viewed from multiple vantage points.

It's not sent to Claire though. She just happens to find it.

It's code to the other members of STARS.

It even begins with "To my bestest STARS buds" and then uses fratboy language that Chris never use.

Edit: Might have misunderstood your point. In that case, disregard.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Riku, however, I don't think was ever interested in Kairi as more than his friend
Dude made a bet on a fruit that was supposed to be a romantic gesture.

There was at least one line of dialog from the boys alluding to him being disinterested in women. Really, the biggest thing that at least supports the idea him and Gladio having something is how Gladio specifically acts about him after Altissia.
Everyone acts differently towards him after Altissia, he was blind. Also what was that line?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
It's not sent to Claire though. She just happens to find it.

It's code to the other members of STARS.

It even begins with "To my bestest STARS buds" and then uses fratboy language that Chris never use.
Okay? But Claire reads it regardless and Capcom decided that she should comment on it. The letter can (and does) have multiple implications.

Back to RE6...

n8f0zyT.gif

Just bros being buds...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure Gladio is married post-timeskip. He mentions his wife when you're at Hammerhead before going back to Insomnia.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And immediately says he was joking when he wins.

Kairi's a friend and a vector point for Sora's attention.
IIRC he only says that if he loses and that strikes me much more of a kid going "nuh uh lol jk I didn't actually lose." Now the later KH games, those are much more like "hmmm."

Ignis always struck me as the ACTUAL older brother of the group compared to Gladio's posturing macho douchebag "big brother" archetype.
Exactly like archetypical you have
-the best friend
-the stern guardian
-the kind guardian

Ignis is a "i'm married to my work" type of dude.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean....
E7383813C029FBF3928013F12EE583E767483F70

Capcom not making Jill and Chris have a romantic relationship was always a really nice touch. Compared to say Leon, who has romantic tension with like, every adult woman he comes into contact with.

Tbf, that's 100% on Jills end

And honestly, I dont remember Claire and Leon having any romantic chemistry in og Re2, so those reaaaaaally stilted scenes come off extra weird lol. Him and Ada are totally boning though.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Gladio is married post-timeskip. He mentions his wife when you're at Hammerhead before going back to Insomnia.

Gladio certainly does dress as if he's a regular in an offensively stereotypical gay bar. All in black leather, shirt open, and said shirt is literally a common fetish "police" shirt, lol:

D8QHvgvUcAAtDXX.jpg

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone acts differently towards him after Altissia, he was blind. Also what was that line?
They are, but Gladio clearly goes further in how protective he is afterwards in a way that he doesn't for when Noct and Prompto have shitty things happen to them.

I can't recall the exact line, but I was replaying 15PE this week and Prompto made an offhanded remark at some point around Duscae/Lestallum about Ignis's disinterest in women.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly like archetypical you have
-the best friend
-the stern guardian
-the kind guardian

Ignis is a "i'm married to my work" type of dude.

It helps that they fixed his voice lines. In the original demo, Ignis ALWAYS referred to Noctis as "HIGHNESS" in the English dub whereas in Japanese he called him "Noct", but after Episode Duscae the English localization team revisited all of his lines to make sure he actually talked to Noctis like a friend and not just his superior.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I find this a difficult subject because... when suggested relationships are left open to interpretation it so often feels like it leaves fandoms fighting over scarce representation for gay, bi/pan, asexual, nonbinary, or even just close platonic relationships.
I'm by no means criticising the fandom nor the premise of this thread, I guess i'm just saying there's this problem with the scarceness of representation that undermines these types of conversations and makes them always seem to get a bit heated.

Anyway, Nagito Komaeda gay

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Gladio certainly does dress as if he's a regular in an offensively stereotypical gay bar. All in black leather, shirt open, and said shirt is literally a common fetish "police" shirt, lol:

D8QHvgvUcAAtDXX.jpg

Oh, they definitely coded his DESIGN as gay. My roommate pointed that out the second he saw him for the first time.

It's just odd that of all the boys, he's the only one who seems to actually get married during the timeskip, or at least he's the only one who mentions his wife.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find this a difficult subject because... when suggested relationships are left open to interpretation it so often feels like it leaves fandoms fighting over scarce representation for gay, bi/pan, asexual, nonbinary, or even just close platonic relationships.
I'm by no means criticising the fandom nor the premise of this thread, I guess i'm just saying there's this problem with the scarceness of representation that undermines these types of conversations and makes them always seem to get a bit heated.

Anyway, Nagito Komaeda gay
Isnt Komaeda canonically gay though, I feel like that was actually said at some point.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

D8QHvgvUcAAtDXX.jpg
While i'm certainly not telling anyone that they shouldn't think a square enix rpg character is LGBT , however . I'm not fond of this thinking. I don't think what you wear makes you gay, bisexual, wherever you may fall. This kinda falls into the whole thing of bullying people for wearing shit you don't think is manly and strait and I don't thnk that's cool. He likes edgy anime clothes, leave it at that.

On topic , while ignis seemed more parental.But I can totally see somoene reading him as gay

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC he only says that if he loses and that strikes me much more of a kid going "nuh uh lol jk I didn't actually lose." Now the later KH games, those are much more like "hmmm."
I'd have to play again (or find someone who loses playing) but I'm pretty positive he says he was joking win or lose. Which, to me, says he was actually joking.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's the fact that they changed his lines in the localisation that makes me wonder about them actually acknowledging it.
Jp to english localizations have a real disgusting homophobia problem and it still happens to this day. Even the goddamn Evangelion homo was forced into best friend status with the shitty new dub.

Like theres already enough homophobia in most games we play, you dont gotta force erasure in as well.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Granblue Fantasy has a bunch of that. Lancelot and Vane, Anne and Grea, Silva and Song, Yuel and Societte. It's pretty damn overt at times but of course they'll never confirm it because every character also has to be player sexual because of otaku pandering.

Npc_zoom_3040179000_02.png

Npc_zoom_3030272000_02.png

They are just REALLY good friends, we promise!

Oct 31, 2017
Jp to english localizations have a real disgusting homophobia problem and it still happens to this day. Even the goddamn Evangelion homo was forced into best friend status with the shitty new dub.

Like theres already enough homophobia in most games we play, you dont gotta force erasure in as well.

It's still very obvious that Shinji liked Kaworu (sp?). Anyone that says Shinji is straight is full of shit

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. The Vanille/Fang relationship is totally queercoded using symbols that are culturally relevant to Japanese lesbians. They end up in a giant rose sleeping together in the exact same position as Utena and Anthy during the third part of the TV show. It's basically as obvious as a western guy asking another if he wants to come to his place to watch movies with gladiators.

Speaking of "Fang"... the relationship between Cammy and Juri in SF5 is interesting. I'm still not sure whether it's actual romance or if it's just the usual trope of "these two hate each other so much they should bang", like Kyô/Iori in KOF. Juri's interest in Cammy is at the very least equivalent to Claw's. Whether it's romance or psychopath attraction will probably never be resolved.
I didn't know that. Interesting. Mind you, it's not like it isn't telegraphed in other ways. I read their relationship as a romantic one as soon as I heard Fang talking to the others about Vanille and at the time I knew exactly zero women who had come out of the closet. Their relationship is the most believable romance in all of Final Fantasy, which is a testament to the voice actors' performances.

oh god yes

(I love the 3D jank that let's Vanille totally cop a feel)

This made me laugh out loud on the train just now. Between Vanille copping a sneaky feel, Fang feeling comfortable enough to just lift Vanille's skirt to inspect the brand on her butt and finally Fang just smooshing Vanille's face right into her chest at the end, I have to wonder if the others weren't starting to feel a little uncomfortable intruding on such an intimate moment. Except Snow of course. He seems like the kind of guy who'd holler something obscene.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Sora deep down loves Riku more than Kairi. He broke down the moment he found him in KH2
These two are the gayest characters I have ever seen in a video game. Heck, the last game has Riku "Press triangle to Sora", which brings Sora straight two him where they summon a Keyblade from their hearts, which has a paopu fruit for a keychain, and there is a rainbow behind them.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Claude is 100% bi at the very least. He wants my professor so bad but Nintendo won't let me. Let me love Claude, Nintendo!

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I swear to god,

You know when you suggest a character might be not be strait and 8 billion motherfuckers come out the wood work to be like " No, let me explain to how heterosexual they are"

Sora and Riku are the two characters where even them dudes are like " nah they in a relationship"

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They were actually confirmed to be a couple.

Last I heard/saw was that Hideo Baba said they are each other's "most special person" (or some sort of Japanese fluffy PR speak for it). I don't think I've ever seen it explicitly stated they are in-love or literally gay for each other. But yeah, the game/anime is pretty damn fine pairing them up.