• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes you finish up a game in a long-standing franchise and wonder "where was THAT character?"

Here are a couple of examples that have stuck with me -

Solrock, Lunatone, and Bellossom don't appear in the regional Pokédexes of the fake-Hawaii set Pokémon Sun & Moon (and their Ultra versions). Instead you have to transfer them over from other games.

lunatone-solrock-pokemon-go-fgr.jpg

facebook-share-image-usa.jpg

It's also very odd to me that the Like Like, a common Zelda enemy whose entire gimmick is eating your shield, doesn't appear in Breath of the Wild - a game all about constantly changing up your equipment

ALBW_Like_Like_Model.png

Can you think of any other examples of characters being inexplicably absent?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning being like a goddess in the XIII games and not appearing in the realm of the gods in Kingdom Hearts 3 😢

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
People thought the circus guy in Hyrule Town in Twilight Princess should have been Tingle.

latest

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Why the HELL didn't they have Rinoa, Lightning or the XV boys show up in Kingdom Hearts 3?

Ignis learning recipes from Little Chef literally writes itself, c'mon now.

Noctis teaching Flowmotion? Prompto explaining Gummiphone photos? Hello???

Last edited:

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Sora in Super Smash Bros (and FF14) when the character has actually the power to travel through different worlds

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Tatanga is an alien that's the antagonist of Super Mario Land, yet surprisingly never made even a cameo in either Super Mario Galaxy game

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
NiGHTS not being a playable character in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (rectified in the sequel).

Oct 27, 2017
Reptile - MK11

He should be a staple alongside Scorp and Sub....

Sad thing is, I probably would have spent more time and money to unlock everything in their atrocious customization scheme. Dropped that game after the crypt stopped yielding any fun.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Solrock and Lunatone not appearing in Sun and Moon is genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
a common Zelda enemy whose entire gimmick is eating your shield, doesn't appear in Breath of the Wild

Traditional Zelda, you have one weapon, one shield - so losing anything is a big deal. In BOTW, if your shield goes, you pick out the next one in line.

I suppose a more impactful version of this would be the Like Like stealing your armour.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Traditional Zelda, you have one weapon, one shield - so losing anything is a big deal. In BOTW, if your shield goes, you pick out the next one in line.

I suppose a more impactful version of this would be the Like Like stealing your armour.

It could be a big deal if it was a super powerful shield, though. Or it could steal all your equipped items, that'd work too. Just seems odd not to have it at all.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Karou Sawara in every Yakuza game post 2 (yes I know she was in 3 but I'd barely call it a cameo).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of phantoon being a boss in other m, it should have been a boss in metroid prime 3, in the gfs valhalla. Perfect fit and would have beem creepy.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It could be a big deal if it was a super powerful shield, though. Or it could steal all your equipped items, that'd work too. Just seems odd not to have it at all.

Inconvenient possibly - as to get them back you have to go to a specific person to get them again, but in the heat of battle, you're just drawing on your reserves.

Nicking a bit of your armour set though, that is the big deal. Weapons & shields are disposable, armour is fundamental.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow Gray Fox doesn't show up in MGSV, and the second-in-command role is taken by Ocelot, who they drain of his flamboyant flair and give silver hair at the age of 40 anyway.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They put Rex's outfit as a costume in Breath of the Wild but didn't put Fi as a Blade in Xenoblade 2.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Wario in New Super Mario Bros 2

The emphasis on coins, it being a '2' numbered handheld Mario platformer, something to distinguish a game in an increasingly homogenous sub series...it'd have fit so well!

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Keeping with the Pokemon theme...

Lillipup and its evolutions are missing from Sword and Shield, despite clearly being based on UK dog breeds.
e6IGOvd.jpg

Madness.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield in Resident Evil 6.

RE6 goes for this bombastic crossover event involving so many key RE characters (or their offspring), but fails to include two out of the four main characters of the series in the events that unfold. Claire should've been Leon's partner, not Helena. Jill should've been the lead of her own campaign (I'm not suggesting she replace Piers in Chris's campaign because I like that story the way it is).

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Not a game, but why the fuck no animator at pixar put Manny Calavera in Coco?
Disney have the rights, they alreadu put the "Vader breath" in Break-it Ralph, I don't think there will be many other IP set in the mexican folk afterlife.

I12567kX_400x400.jpg

pt_coco_31b33206.jpeg

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Whenever there's a fighting game with crossover characters and Ryu isn't in it the characters should say "Where's Ryu?"

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Static & Constantine in Injustice 2. Also, Black Lightning (over Raiden), Vixen (over Cheetah), & John Stewart (over Hal Jordan) should have been the defaults.
  • Ms. Marvel, Star-Lord, Rashid, & Asura in MvCI (I know they supposedly almost got in, but still). Also the X-Men/F4, Phoenix Wright, & a ton of others.
  • Black Panther, Carol Danvers, X, & Monster Hunter in UMvC3.
  • Regarding Smash, there are a ton of characters, especially among the women & people of color of gaming. In the case of the former, Chun-Li should be in the game (she basically joins Ryu for every crossover except Smash).
  • Elma (who should have gotten in over Corrin) & the Chorus Kids (or any RH rep) in Smash Wii U/3DS.
  • Crimson Viper, Rose, & Oro in SFV. They were teased a ton but never realized as playable characters.
  • Tifa, Kunimitsu, & Kiryu in Tekken 7.
Spring Man in Smash.
To be fair, that was due to timing. Smash base rosters are usually locked in years in advance (Ultimate's base roster was finalized on December 2015). Not to mention Sakurai's apprehension regarding new IPs.

Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield in Resident Evil 6.

RE6 goes for this bombastic crossover event involving so many key RE characters (or their offspring), but fails to include two out of the four main characters of the series in the events that unfold. Claire should've been Leon's partner, not Helena. Jill should've been the lead of her own campaign (I'm not suggesting she replace Piers in Chris's campaign because I like that story the way it is).
Also this

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where the hell were Hilda/Hilbert in Pokemon Black 2/White 2

GF made animated sprites for them,
The memory link feature
You have multiple important characters sad and wondering where they're at (that poor Mom)

And they're not in the game.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing the missing UK-based Pokemon in Galar, where the heck were Snubull and Granbull?

240px-209Snubbull.png

240px-210Granbull.png

They are British Bulldogs that are based on the Scotish folklore, cù-sìth which are fairies that are shaped like dogs.

Cù-sìth - Wikipedia