• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This include novelizations, retellings, remakes, etc.

I'll start with my personal favorite, I usually bring this one up

1) Caulifla, Kale and Kefla From Dragon Ball Super (Anime vs Manga)

In the anime version of Dragon Ball Super we're introduced to Caulifla and Kale
2afc7d62416f0c165b118fbf6b3fd3d1.png

Both are Saiyans from universe 6. Caulifla is an extremely talented Saiyan with a special talent to master transformations while Kale is Universe 6's mutant Saiyan version of Broly, they both share a close relationship, often portrayed as romantic even.
145fe1f769be71aa92d3a7dee784230d.gif

Through their anime appearances, Kale slowly but surely starts growing out of her shyness and inability to control her rampant powers which are triggered by her insecurities. Caulifla on the other hand learns to respect Kale as her equal warrior, by the end of the arc, Kale has managed to gain control of her powers,and stands up to Caulifla as equals, which results in them fusing and forming Kefla

ddr74os-56fd68bc-6b4d-4079-be18-b354133d1903.png

Kefla is so powerful she basically acts as a mid season boss for Goku, and their battle takes up 4 episodes until it reaches a very memorable conclusion. Kefla, refusing to accept defeat gives her all against Goku, who has awakened Ultra Instinct once more thanks to the intensity of the battle.
dbeb499fc8e4c824a9dfd4178d32ee28.gif

And of course, she loses in one of the most memorable scenes of Super
IndelibleThoseFalcon-max-1mb.gif

In the MANGA however absolutely none of this happens

Caulifla do not share any sort of relationship beyond "Gang leader and Goon" with Kale, while Kale is obsessed with having Caulifla's approval, all their romantic subtext is eliminated.

Kale at no point has an arc where she has to learn to control her powers, instead she just goes crazy with them, and then we're told that being so powerful is killing her (Despite male characters never having such a problem)
main-qimg-2b437aab785c2fc30547f08bea99acdd

So instead of them learning to trust each other and fusing to fight together as their own choice....In the manga Kale is forced to fuse without her consent to "Save her life"
DieW8nNXkAAYczo.jpg

And finally, once Kefla is formed, she is paired to fight with Gohan, with most of the battle happening OFF SCREEN and then it ends with this little nugget.
cf1e3807be3cbed5d842b6b1ef8bb967ae98e2afr1-1152-2048v2_hq-1.jpg

She just admits defeat and simply accepts she will never beat a man and just gives up on living...

I have one more to post but this is post is already quite big so let's keep the ball rolling with some other examples.
Spoiler: It's Katara.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sansa Stark in Game of Thrones for fairly obvious reasons to those familiar with the books.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why the hell would the manga differ so much from the anime for Dragonball Super. Caulifla and Kale were the best parts of Super.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell would the manga differ so much from the anime for Dragonball Super. Caulifla and Kale were the best parts of Super.
Because the manga isn't based on the anime and vice versa, they are two separate adaptations of outlines by Toriyama. Clearly Toei just wanted to do more with the characters than Toyotaro, the guy who does the manga. Also keep in mind that the ToP in the manga is insanely rushed. The one thing manga Kale has over anime Kale is that she at least took out a few universes, but that was probably only because Toyo was rushed.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not same story per se, but I absolutely hate how different Jonathan Kent felt from the comics to Man of Steel

latest

tumblr_oucaseKC0a1uezmbko1_r1_500.gifv

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this really counts as it's not exactly the same story but The Regulators and Desperation by Stephen King feature a lot of the same cast but in different roles and pasts encountering the same being in different settings. They're basically alternate universes to one another.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Athrun Zala in the original version of Gundam SEED Destiny

latest

The whole time, Athrun is just failing horribly without any context.
Even worst, in the last episode of the TV version, you have the climax of the story happening with the main hero (Kira) and main villain (Dullandal)
Whoops... they forgot Athrun. That's season 8 of GoT bad.

Final Plus and the movie version of Destiny at least fixed that and added him to the climax.

fpa.jpg

The biggest difference to Athrun though is the movie version of the serie which focuses on his inner turmoils.
It basically spins the whole serie by showing Athrun as a disillusioned soldier who's been forced to fight in a conflict by those around him while he doesn't even understand why he's there at all.
All the while, he's battling his loyalty to his friends against his loyalty to Zaft.

Whoever edited the movie version of Destiny deserves some kind of trophy just for how well they redeemed him (and also removed a lot of Shinn).

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Irene Adler from Sherlock Holmes. In her sole appearance in the original stories, she outsmarts Holmes (being the first person to do so) and goes on to a happy ending. In many adaptations, she's reduced to being always a step behind Holmes, made into his love interest (with mixed results), damseled, sexualized, and/or killed off.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
The two best Game of Thrones options have been exhausted, so I'll go with my man Barristan Selmy. Goddamnit, Season 5.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Was Gimli mostly used for comic relief in the LoTR books? I thought he was done dirty in the movies because I thought he was supposed to be more respectable than that.

Faramir is another one that struck me as odd. He was specifically not tempted by the ring in the books, but in the second movie he just went for it like everyone else.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP is gonna hate me for this but I dislike Manjyome going from a cooky goofball in the GX anime to a more generic rival in the manga.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

(Basque Grand from FMA)

Manga: One of Scar's early victims, dies before he's given any real characterization, which comes later in the big Ishvalan flashback (when he kills an unreasonable officer, which Hughes dismissed as a stray bullet, and assumes his position to help negotiate the Ishvalan surrender). The death itself is played off as kind of a joke as well.

2003 anime: Becomes a huge fucking prick and Ed's main government antagonist in the early episodes. Scar killing him off is almost more of a relief than anything.

Brotherhood: Doesn't get the scene in the flashback, but they expand his encounter with Scar into a full fight that at least allows him to hold his own. Otherwise dies before his jerk personality from the first series has a chance to shine through.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
aquaman.jpg

It took decades for them to give this dude the respect he deserved in cartoons an film

Also Jimmy Olsen in the DCEU. Got murdered so fast you barely even learn his name.

The entire main cast of the movie adaptation of The Mist get off so much worse than their book counterparts

Every single video game character except for Claire in the Resident Evil films serve no purpose other than to make Alice look good, and then the last film throws all of them except Wesker and Claire in the garbage before the movie even starts.

Crash and the Boys in Scott Pilgrim straight up die in the film. Nega Scott ironically gets off easier. Also multiple characters get their development chopped for time

Frankenstein, I guess. In the books he was still a big creepy corpse but he wasn't an idiot. He was incredibly intelligent. In the film...well...fire bad.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Faramir and Denethor from the Lord of the Rings.

Faramir is always my go to in these discussions.

It's been about a decade or so since my last reread but I want to say the book portrayed him as a nigh perfect Numenorean with all the majesty and splendor that goes with it and then movie Faramir had major little brother syndrome.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The two best Game of Thrones options have been exhausted, so I'll go with my man Barristan Selmy. Goddamnit, Season 5.

There's these GoT histories and lore videos in the blu-Ray season sets that talk about how badass the Unsullied and Dothraki were. Are they (primarily the Unsullied) as garbage in the books as they are in the show?

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Casca from Berserk. Treated like a sexual object in the anime and recent game.

Yeah stuff happens to her in the manga but she is made to be ogled At more in the anime and the game is just fucking disrespectful to her

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I recently finished playing Baldur's Gate 1+2 and I regret learning about the existence of the books adaptation.

And the books apparently considered canon in FR universe....

Fking Abdel Adrian.

Aug 13, 2019
This one's a bit backward, but Civil War as an event, in general, is done way better in the movie. But more specifically, Comic Book Tony Stark is a piece of shit and I still don't think he's truly recovered from this fucking event. A few things Tony did:

1. Basically starts the war (Technically Maria Hill and Shield, but I'll blame him too because I hate him) by attacking Captain America before the Superhuman Registration Act is even law.

2. Built a prison in the Negative Zone to hold unregistered heroes with no trial or due process permanently until they register.

3. Uses villains to hunt down unregistered heroes.

4. Sent villains (Venom, Hobgoblin, and others I've forgotten) out to capture him after he leaves to join Captain America's side, severely injuring him in the process. Spider-Man, in this case, isn't an unregistered hero and hasn't even broken the law.

5. Shoots Hulk off into space.

6. Supported the creation of a clone of Thor that proceeded to kill Goliath. (Also, fuck Reed Richards)

7. "Wins".

Civil War is fucking dumb and the movie did it way better.