• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sans is the only character that will be remembered in a decade of all those mentioned here.
The sus crewmates too. Freddy Fazbear and the others maybe, let's see how the series does from now on, specially the movie...

Inklings, they will be present, but I doubt a bigger mainstream break will be possible for Splatoon for now. They'll be there, like other Nintendo characters.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Isabelle and Inklings

EPD5 has been a breakout success this gen with Splatoon 2 selling over 10mil and Animal Crossing over 30mil by now

Animal Crossing was always huge, but now it's most likely ending up at 50-60 mil lifetime in sales which is gigantic.
Isabelle was introduced as the mascot in New leaf and while not the main mascot of new horizons she is still one of the most important characters in the game.

not too mention Splatoon was a breakout hit from the first game, which sold 4.95mil.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Ethan from RE7

Deny all you want, you know this is true

Sans is the only character that will be remembered in a decade of all those mentioned here.
The sus crewmates too.

Inklings, they will be present, but I doubt a bigger mainstream break will be possible for Splatoon for now. They'll be there, like other Nintendo characters.

lasting presence doesnt necessarily mean "being remembered"

if sony keep doing horizon games with alloy for 10 years she will have a lasting presence whether you like her character or not

also lol at thinking among us will still be relevant in 10 years, let alone people remembering "sus crew"

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony pushes this guy as their own version of Mario.
39891228403_12f092a56a_o.gif

After how many years of Sony just not really caring to have an official mascot for PS, I hope this changes in the future with Astro, that or they continue to make quality games for him for a very long time.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Is this a joke post? They've already cleared the area with the introduction of Cassie in the last game. Nathan Drake is as good as dead -- they don't even need a transition like Joel got, he can just be gone, and decent writing will catch us up just fine.
You think that fans of the God of War franchise would happy about the face of the franchise, the main character of like 8 games and multiple books/comics being killed off without a transition, you're saying its the equivalent of killing Joel? The guy you play as in a single game that's really about someone and something else. Kratos was literally rewritten to be nearly a new character and you think that was so they could kill him offscreen and just be gone? Is this a joke post?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
As someone who really enjoys Horizon Zero Dawn, hopefully they give Aloy an actual personality in the next game.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Jack Baker from Resident Evil 7

Aloy maybe but I don't see it just yet. She didn't really make a huge impression to me.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
To answer the question, not many. I don't think many great main characters were introduced last gen. Great games? Sure but not cause of the main characters or even the story

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Sony pushes this guy as their own version of Mario.
39891228403_12f092a56a_o.gif

After how many years of Sony just not really caring to have an official mascot for PS, I hope this changes in the future with Astro, that or they continue to make quality games for him for a very long time.

Surprised it took until page 2 to see Astrobot. Their introduction with The Playroom at the PS4 launch, followed by a dedicated VR game, followed by another game at PS5 launch specifically tied to the hardware itself - I'd be shocked (and deeply disappointed) if the little fella didn't see some sort of mascot status from here on out.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
People are posting some really odd choices in here...

The only right answer is the inklings

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
That's a good one. I see them and the Octolings staying relevant for a long time.
Yeah, it's a behemoth of a money maker for Nintendo and already one of the most popular shooters in the world. out of all new ip released last decade it was probably the biggest. Count them among Mario, Link, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Kirby and Tom Nook for one of Nintendo's most iconic characters.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what some mean lasting presence.

but If you're a Monolith Soft fan like me. they will not let you forget about their protagonists in future titles lol.

anyways. In a more serious answer, Isabelle is kinda doing that already, introduced in 3DS era and damn, she's everywhere now

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Incineroar one of the higher tier Pokemon in VGC?

One of the best Fake Out users in the tier, but is being challenged by ironically, another starter from Gen 8, Rillaboom, the Grass Type one. Whilst Incineroar has Intimidate for it's benefit in crippling leads, Rillaboom has Grassy Glide and Grassy Surge, giving it the most powerful priority moves in the game, giving Rillaboom either the option to cause a flinch, or go straight for a knock-out if you aren't careful.

That said though, despite it's presence in Smash. I don't think Incineroar will be the most remembered Pokemon from Gen 7.

1200px-778Mimikyu.png

That'll be this one, Mimikyu here. Actually came third in the Pokemon Popularity poll Google held last year. Beating out Charizard even.

We've yet to see what the standout for Gen 8 will be. We need to see if Smash shines a spotlight on anyone in particular. It could be Cinderace, since that's the one getting pushed the most in the anime at the moment. But... we shall see. Just because you are pushed, doesn't mean you become the popular one (See Zoroark).

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
One of the best Fake Out users in the tier, but is being challenged by ironically, another starter from Gen 8, Rillaboom, the Grass Type one. Whilst Incineroar has Intimidate for it's benefit in crippling leads, Rillaboom has Grassy Glide and Grassy Surge, giving it the most powerful priority moves in the game, giving Rillaboom either the option to cause a flinch, or go straight for a knock-out if you aren't careful.

That said though, despite it's presence in Smash. I don't think Incineroar will be the most remembered Pokemon from Gen 7.

1200px-778Mimikyu.png

That'll be this one, Mimikyu here. Actually came third in the Pokemon Popularity poll Google held last year. Beating out Charizard even.

We've yet to see what the standout for Gen 8 will be. We need to see if Smash shines a spotlight on anyone in particular. It could be Cinderace, since that's the one getting pushed the most in the anime at the moment. But... we shall see. Just because you are pushed, doesn't mean you become the popular one (See Zoroark).
Yeah, we'll see if a Gen 8 pokemon makes it into Fighters Pass 2. I wonder if Toxtricity also has a good shot. I don't think we need a THIRD fire starter as a playable character.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we'll see if a Gen 8 pokemon makes it into Fighters Pass 2. I wonder if Toxtricity also has a good shot. I don't think we need a THIRD fire starter as a playable character.

Personally I'm hoping for one of Zacian or Zamazenta myself (Though I'm assuming it'll be Zacian), Bipedal Sword Wolf pokemon would be great to have (And yes, would also be yet another Anime Sword Fighter for the memes)

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The ones from last year that I DEFINITELY loved...

Aloy - Horizon Zero Dawn
5bfd0d366b76926a2be757aa1722506f.jpg

Smart, sassy, strong, yet kind and pragmatic, I adore this character. Horizon was my favorite new IP of last gen, and to say I'm looking forward to her next adventure is a massive understatement.

Senua - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
19a845d66645c00c80f6d4a96108a3ae.png

Inversely, we have Senua - a character who's metaphorical and literally descent through the hellish underworld to find peace for the soul of her dead lover was such an incredible experience, one that delved deep into psychological disorder and trauma like few games ever have. She was deeply driven, and I have no idea what her next adventure will entail... nor am I sure I'll be ready... but I'm very excited.

Shovel Knight
Shovel-Knight-Brawlhalla.jpg

Not just Mr. Shovel Knight himself, but his whole crew was memorable, funny, and instantly charming. While I know the developers are happy to do something different now, Shovel Knight was great and I embraced every cameo he had - from Bloodstained to Yooka-Laylee to SMASH BROS. I want more; a cartoon, a comic, a line of toys. He's amazing.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I know that people will respond with 'who?' but there's an entire generation of kids and teens who know all of these characters and these characters have lots of meaning to them, especially the main two Jonesy and Ramirez(the two prominently featured in the middle in each picture):

Fortnite_Thumb_0_0.jpg

v6ujajjnvdp7ufom34lb.jpg

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The sus crewmates too. Freddy Fazbear and the others maybe, let's see how the series does from now on, specially the movie...

Yeah, Splatoon just waiting for that mainstream break

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Isabelle was introduced same Gen as Inkling and she's Mainstream now.

perhaps Inklings just needs Nintendo to start that mass merchandising. They seem to be part of their major plays, Along with Animal Crossing, Mario and Zelda

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

perhaps Inklings just needs Nintendo to start that mass merchandising. They seem to be part of their major plays, Along with Animal Crossing, Mario and Zelda
I think they need more variety of games. like single player games and maybe a mobile game.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
The reasons people give for popular protagonists being replaced can literally apply to every game. It doesn't make it a good idea and I'm sure they're not fans of that character in the first place. Hopefully Kratos is here to stay for many years, same with Nate. And if they were to replace him, hopefully they don't go down the route of using his daughter, that would be horrendous writing.

Now my picks are Alloy; a fantastic new main character, probably my favourite one introduced. Grew up with her whole village bar 1 person treating her like shit but she didn't let that stop her. People who say she has no personality, I wonder if they paid attention to her backstory.

Jin Sakai. Just a real bad man.

Abby. I still can't believe ND made me like her so much by the end of it.

Astrobot. Introduced last gen, but with the game on PS5 it's kind of made him iconic already. A good choice for a PS mascot.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
It was seen as a controversial decision for UC4's ending but to answer the OP's question it's Nathan Drake's daughter.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Yeah, Splatoon just waiting for that mainstream break
it's not like the franchise has sold over 16 million copies in 5 years or anything, those are teensy weensy baby indie franchise numbers. /s

I think they need more variety of games. like single player games and maybe a mobile game.

Splatoon will probably see spin offs soon, not too mention it's one of the prime candidates for exciting the video game market and just becoming a general media franchise after Mario and Zelda for Nintendo, which if Pokemon and Kirby are anything to go buy can hugely grow a franchise.

Edit: splatoon is begging for an anime and a recreation of inkopolis square in super Nintendo world.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Most likely Ellie and Joel (and hopefully Abby). I mean, they'll get an HBO show. That will make them known to more people outside of gaming than almost any other characters mentionned here.

Assuming the show is well done that is.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Five Nights at Freddy crew. Undertale characters, Among Us crewmate, 2B from NieR Automata but a bit more niche, Joker from Persona 5 about 2B tier as well, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, specific Fortnite characters.

Characters that have left bigger impacts in culture outside of just gaming will be remembered the most by the general populace. And frankly these examples mostly have pretty striking designs that stick in the mind than a lot of the other examples I see in this thread, which kinda blend together if I'll be frank.