• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Just all comic book superhero designs really.

Well, the ones which are basically comprised solely of a skin tight lycra body suit, which is about 90% of them. They're pretty much all just pallette swaps of one another with not much else changed and it's always bored the shit out of me ever since I was a kid. Probably why I never read any comics outside of Transformers and 2000 AD.

Especially the dude that draws impossibly muscular guys. I don't even care to remember his name.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
The Major's character design for GitS 2045. She can always remain somewhat the same or younger thanks to prosthetics, but the execution here is horrible.

Ilya Kuvshinov, never again.

E08S02C042AA_V002.jpg

teaservisual.jpg

ghost-in-the-shell-sac-2045-season-2-netflix-coming-may-2022.jpeg
Every character in GitS 2045 looks bad to me

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of character designs from Assassin's Creed (before Origins at least).

I don't really them, but it always irked me that in the context of the games, they felt like "hey, these are stories about an ancient and secretive assassins cult that hide in the shadows and shape the world in a war against another ancient and secretive cult, but let's give them the most intricate and overdesigned costumes possible so that they can't blend in a crowd AT ALL but at the same time let's say that they can blend THE FUCK OUTTA this crowd, kay?"

Unity and Black Flag somewhat work, but most of the other games (some of which I really liked) are guilty of this. It's a personal pet peeve I guess.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Prya's design is actually kinda... tedious, considering what JRPG's tend to get away with when it comes to female character designs. But Rex? I'm irrationally focused on that helmet hoodie & what it could possibly be used for.

Definitely some gross overdesign going on with both, tho.
It's his diving suit re-puposed as armour.

I really like the concept, it does look silly though.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
So far every character I've seen from FF16 looks bland, colorless and unmemorable. I'll take Tidus over them any day.

Maybe my opinions will change when the game is out and I've played it, but right now I don't like them.

Feb 16, 2022
Carol Danvers' Captain Marvel haircut. It was supposed to be her normal long hair, which was then styled like a mohawk when she's wearing her helmet. But then artists suddenly started drawing her helmetless with the mohawk cut and side fade, which coincidentally happens around the same time they started writing her to be more of a jerk to others. Always thought it was awfully reductive, and turned the character into the only "strong female character" stereotype those writers and artists could think of.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'm totally down with this turning into a stealth RWBY complaint thread lol.

Schnee Dust Company brand, and never had a single scene with Weiss or the other Schnee's before he was Bumblebee'd. Absolutely pointless addition to his design.

He literally attacked a SDC train in the black trailer, and suggested just killing all the human crew.

I think we also see him delighting in attacking and killing SDC guards in the Blake flashback trailer a few seasons later.

It would have been nice to see him interact with Weiss, as well as get the story behind who scared him like that.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I'm with op's annoyance in unathletic/frail body types being capable of extreme physical feats.

I don't have a specific character in mind but a character design feature that has bugged the hell out of me the last couple years

Two tone designs with 1 solid color and the other part camo.

I know what you mean but for some reason it has the opposite effect on me and I like it a lot. But I've only thought that way recently.

Last edited:

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with op's annoyance in unathletic/frail body types being capable of extreme physical feats.

It's something that plagues a lot of anime and anime style series. Muscles are a character trait, not something you expect from say, someone who is a physical fighter. Half the cast of RWBY should be built like an MMA fighter.

Only a few character, male or female, are really stout like that though. I think the series lampshades it with "aura allows feats of strength beyond what muscles can do alone" but honestly, it's just Monty designed based off anime rule of cool more then realism.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I'm totally down with this turning into a stealth RWBY complaint thread lol.

Schnee Dust Company brand, and never had a single scene with Weiss or the other Schnee's before he was Bumblebee'd. Absolutely pointless addition to his design.

I know right? He has a big connection to Weiss and elaborates a lot on the series but it is never explored at ALL and he is just a shipping plot device. Also you can tell it was supposed to be a snowflake.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2: The Thread.

cZVMtuvc8UQ_S7AT3ivS--64IMSyM1EGpqsNCmZ7kVA.jpg

Rex and Pyra. Just... Rex and Pyra.

(Mythra's original outfit is also bad, but the Smash outfit she got was a massive improvement.)

I would argue Mythra's design is not bad. It really only needed one design element to make it work.

Rex almost works given character context. But yeah, Pyra is a hot mess.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Unpopular opinion that will get me heat here, but I absolutely loathe sidecuts, regardless of gender too.

Kali-DJ-head_compressed.jpg

Just think they look ugly as sin.
It's basically become a visual short cut for all the tough "I'm not like all those other girls" female characters. Like I don't mind it every once in a while but I wish character designers would have some more variety

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Any design featuring the bizarro eyepatch fetish that pops up in anime.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Now to make ever 90s X-Men fan hate me

EPfYcQgWoAE8it9.jpg

images

And finally!
rogue-costumes-90s-989817.jpg

All these costumes have bugged me since they were first released.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
EPfYcQgWoAE8it9.jpg

images

And finally!

Not this X-Men fan, at least. I feel like one of the dirty secrets of american cape comics is that while Jim Lee is super talented and by all accounts a lovely person, he's kind of...not great at costume design.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Not this X-Men fan, at least. I feel like one of the dirty secrets of american cape comics is that while Jim Lee is super talented and by all accounts a lovely person, he's kind of...not great at costume design.
Never forget the New 52 mandarin collars and go fast lines... They haunt me to this day.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Overly cute, blob designs that are so simplified and lacking in details that they lack character. The Thundercats example above is a good one.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
hwoarang-tekken7-fated-retribution-artwork-clean.jpg
latest

Tekken 7 Hwoarang (pictured left) and King of Fighters Shun'ei

They look like someone hit the random button on the customize character screen and went with the first thing that came up.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Never forget the New 52 mandarin collars and go fast lines... They haunt me to this day.
You know what, thinking about it now, and in fairness to Jim, whatever he was doing at that time with the Justice League was still miles better than whatever the hell they were thinking with the New 52 Teen Titans, so, all things in perspective, I guess.
Not the person you quoted, but for me personally, it makes me think he's walking around bottomless. Big puffy top just doesn't look right.
Hm, I can see that. I wont lie that I like the whole high collar jacket but, yeah, look at the sillohuette and the proportions do look funky.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
On topic, I've never understood the chin guard for injustice superman

portrait.png
The chin guard is dopey-looking, for sure, but for me the larger problem is putting Superman in armor at all.

I mean, I get he's supposed to be Eeeeeevil Superman, but i was legit more intimidated by evil Superman with muted colors in Superman 3 than I ever was by this goof.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Pretty much any design that sexualizes a woman for no other reason than making her sexy and people horny. Bayonetta, for me, is a good case for sexualizing a character as she owns it and that's part of her personality, but in other cases even the "shy" cute girl is shamelessly sexualized. I won't ever touch the Xenoblade games because of that crap.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Hadn't seen this before but I kinda dig it? What about it do you dislike? Genuinely curious.

The hoodie is too baggy and pointlessly covers his mouth when it is already covered.
At least he has pants, Sora is rocking a onesie.
latest

MJgktjP-tHpVv-6Mb1ZOtqtJPfJ6QQHn3FpqjE2diUM.jpg

EPfYcQgWoAE8it9.jpg

images

And finally!

Hating Storm 90's?????? What?!