• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone can take the story seriously as a lala.

R1vV6ZS.jpg
Yeah, I think that's something you have to be aware of when making a lala in this game. Or I bet some people do it on purpose just because cutscenes become amusing in a totally different way when you're a lala.

I like how the game has fun with it and lets you wear whatever you want when redoing any in-game cutscene. Be a lala or wear a stupid outfit = every cutscene is ruined, but in a good way.

Even in the final Shadowbringers cutscene, I noticed that the lala version looks a little bit different to take into account the height difference. It's a nice bit of attention to detail.

When the WoL helps hold up the Exarch's staff, the lala version grabs the bottom half of the staff because you're too short to grab the top half like all the other races.

Then there's the great sleep animations here:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Everyone in Xenoblade 2
Camilla in Fire Emblem Fates
Atelier Ryza
Anastasia in Sakura Wars (2019)
Star Ocean 4 & 5
Fire emblem Fates has this problem a lot. Their faces and personalities are all ok, but there's skin windows everywhere. I actually like the censored designs from Smash more, same for Xenoblade 2.
Sophie was a curious one. She was one of my favourite designs in Fates until I promoted her saw that she has her buttcheeks showing all the time. That artist was really hit or miss for me.
Sophie_Room.png
Sin%20ttulo.png
^ She's a cavallier, for heaven's sake.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
......I didn't imply that at all. I was merely explaining a possible reason why that poster commented on the design of eiko. You're the one whose post implied something.. Why are people on this board so sensitive and expect the worst?
All that poster posted was " I'd love someone to explain wtf they were thinking with Eiko from Final Fantasy IX." They didn't point out anything specific about the design, so I assumed the big goofy pants were it since they stick out the most. They never it made it more clear what they meant exactly, so...? I don't know what else to say.

Which post did I imply something? I'm genuinely getting lost here. My brain has never processed her design that way, so trying to get me to see it that way isn't working. As I've already, multiple times said.

And a big "LOL" to me being sensitive. I'm not going to let someone try and twist my words and observations into something they're not. I mean, just stop dude.

I think Eiko is a case where it only looks like anything inappropriate if the person is actively looking for it for some weird reason... It's very clearly a bodysuit at first glance as the color is not even remotely similar to her skin.
Seriously. Talk about looking for something that isn't there.

You can see the soul of the original game leaving his body.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Which post did I imply something? I'm genuinely getting lost here. My brain has never processed her design that way, so trying to get me to see it that way isn't working. As I've already, multiple times said.

You said it was a weird observation? I wasn't looking for it. Besides, when JRPGs and anime tend to have questionable sexualization of child characters, I don't think I could be far off the mark on what I observed. Relax. I'm not trying to get you to see it in how I'm seeing it. You're coming off like I insulted you or something in the way I replied to you initially.

Honestly though, I really wasn't trying to shit on your initial post. I thought it was interesting.

Last edited:

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Anything JRPG that I've seen. They make me cringe, not to mention the actual characters themselves.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I could not get into ffx again after I saw Wakka, Tidus was already pushing it and he's the main character

tenor.gif

Ehhhh. I haven't played Halo 4, but I played Halo 3 earlier this year and it definitely felt like I was watching a naked woman writhing around. I wondered more than once how they got away with it; what was the rating on Halo 3 anyway? If they made it worse in 4, that's something.

Also, I'm not sure but from those pictures it looks like they used a real person for Cortana in Halo 4. So maybe the discomfort came from the actress?
They definitely made Halo 4 Cortana hotter with big hips and breasts. In previous Halos she was pretty square shaped, more robotic looking.

4yi5QaYg.jpg

Deleted member 60135

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 21, 2019
I think Eiko is a case where it only looks like anything inappropriate if the person is actively looking for it for some weird reason... It's very clearly a bodysuit at first glance as the color is not even remotely similar to her skin.

"It's very clearly a bodysuit at first glance" this thread kind of proves that hypothesis false but I'm glad we're going back to implying anyone who sees it is a pedophile

You called people weird for even sugguesting the render looked naked at first glance. You can't possibly claim you didn't know what the implications of that statement were.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
tenor.gif

They definitely made Halo 4 Cortana hotter with big hips and breasts. In previous Halos she was pretty square shaped, more robotic looking.

4yi5QaYg.jpg

Non-Halo 4 Cortana looks like she's in skintight spandex, which is horny but not quiet lewd in the way Halo 4 Cortana is, where she looks more like a nude woman in body paint. It sounds like a subtle difference but it's not at all looking at them.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
"It's very clearly a bodysuit at first glance" this thread kind of proves that hypothesis false but I'm glad we're going back to implying anyone who sees it is a pedophile

If anyone saw this and thought it was anything but a jumpsuit then there's a problem with their vision:

latest

And I'm sorry, but I do find problematic that people are, in this day and age, still claiming that a 6 years old character using a pink/red jumpsuit (that's a stark contrast from her skin color) looks naked, or that there's a chamel toe (like, wtf?) when it's VERY CLEARLY her legs. Being confused with the design at first glance is one thing, but insisting on it and blaming the designers when none of those things are present in the actual character's design is way out of line.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Non-Halo 4 Cortana looks like she's in skintight spandex, which is horny but not quiet lewd in the way Halo 4 Cortana is, where she looks more like a nude woman in body paint. It sounds like a subtle difference but it's not at all looking at them.
Yea prior cortanas weren't so in your face about it, it was like yea that's an AI modeled after a woman. Halo 4 was like rule 34 bait lol. No wonder Chief loves her, and now my mind is wandering haha

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
ds-000-5.jpg

The moment Mike Dawson even opens his mouth you really feel any twinge of sympathy for his strange plight slipping from your grasp. The voice acting really hammers home how doofy and childish our hero character is but the awkward digitized sprites of Chris Gilbert in a "Mike Dawson" costume make him look particularly silly.

Glad to see the amount of people in this thread defending Sylvie Paula Paula though, she rocks

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone saw this and thought it was anything but a jumpsuit then there's a problem with their vision:

latest

And I'm sorry, but I do find problematic that people are, in this day and age, still claiming that a 6 years old character using a pink/red jumpsuit (that's a stark contrast from her skin color) looks naked, or that there's a chamel toe (like, wtf?) when it's VERY CLEARLY her legs. Being confused with the design at first glance is one thing, but insisting on it and blaming the designers when none of those things are present in the actual character's design is way out of line.

enough. nobody cares anymore. it's a dumbass design anyway.

Kenzo

alt account
Banned
Oct 9, 2020
Tsushima
Halo 4 Cortana is the most expressive and well animated Cortana that happens to be "dummy thicc".

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Any character with bare feet in Kingdom Hearts, as well as any Disney character in Kingdom Hearts besides Micky, and also Micky and every other Disney character in Kingdom Hearts.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
A few people are bringing up fighting game characters... are they even supposed to be taken seriously? I can count the number of fighting games where I was seriously invested in the story/characters on none hands, so I have no qualms with their designs being as outlandish as they want 'em to be.

Anyway, a surefire way to make my eyes roll is for a villain of relatively normal physique to transform into Mr. Muscles... P5 and FFXII are guilty of this.

ShadowShido2.jpg

vayne-novus_orig.png

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Some of the enemies in Halo. I only recently began to play the MCC and I was having fun, but I felt an incredible dissonance from the badass Master Chief, with his cool-ass armor and the pretty awesome world...then the enemies come and I'm like...what? The little enemies (I don't know their names) that yell and scream look like they were taken from Jet Force Gemini (a game that I personally LOVE, but it's a whole different style), and some of the enemies design on infinite. Even the animations. They seemed, Idk, off. I actually watched hours of YouTube vids to see if this was always like this, or if the art style has shifted, but I always paired up Metroid Prime with Halo, and MP enemies look way more serious and realistic (in what my ideas are of aliens) than Halo's. I was taken away from the whole experience and somehow disappointed. I know y'all have been playing this franchise for 19 years and ya'll were raised and are super used to it, but it's just super weird to me, a newcomer. Not what expected, yet somehow, MC totally was what I expected.

I want MC in Smash now, but please lose the enemies.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
tenbOX5.jpg

Walter from SMT IV

It's not even a bad or silly design or anything. Hell, I genuinely like the guy. It's just that he's a living meme at this point. From his antiquated conversation style and his tendency to hoy, to his 'help' against the Minotaur; I can't take him seriously anymore.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
There is a point to be made that the "skin" confusion stems mostly from an external render with weird lighting.
And this thread is about designs that affect you ingame.

Yeah my impression was mainly on that particular render. I was just baffled the poster got defensive.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade designs definitely belong here.

Also, basically every Pokémon villain. This dude takes the cake:

Lysandre-X-and-Y.jpg
To be fair, Chairman Rose looks very respectable. Pokemon Sword and Shield really improved the human character designs, even if the story still needed some work.

225px-Sword_Shield_Chairman_Rose.png

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Some of the enemies in Halo. I only recently began to play the MCC and I was having fun, but I felt an incredible dissonance from the badass Master Chief, with his cool-ass armor and the pretty awesome world...then the enemies come and I'm like...what? The little enemies (I don't know their names) that yell and scream look like they were taken from Jet Force Gemini (a game that I personally LOVE, but it's a whole different style), and some of the enemies design on infinite. Even the animations. They seemed, Idk, off. I actually watched hours of YouTube vids to see if this was always like this, or if the art style has shifted, but I always paired up Metroid Prime with Halo, and MP enemies look way more serious and realistic (in what my ideas are of aliens) than Halo's. I was taken away from the whole experience and somehow disappointed. I know y'all have been playing this franchise for 19 years and ya'll were raised and are super used to it, but it's just super weird to me, a newcomer. Not what expected, yet somehow, MC totally was what I expected.

I want MC in Smash now, but please lose the enemies.
Those little guys are called Grunts lol.

Pretty sure if my memory is correct in the lore they are like 5.5 ft tall and weigh about 250lbs. So in real life they would be frightening but since Chief is such a unit they seem really small haha.

The concept art for the Halo series definitely makes the aliens more intimidating then they appear in the games.
An example :
6fba426842b8ac6e9311610a70875989.jpg

1063344-jumppack_brute.jpg

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot Matthew Mcconaghey was in this game. :D

I think the backstory for this character was that he was some sort of police officer so they tried to go for something like that. It's just that they ended up with douchy jogger cop. Maybe it would not be so terrible if they had added for example a jacket of some sort and a different hat. But I guess they needed one more character and didn't put much effort into this one.

Growing up we called him Woody Harrelson, because McConaughey wasn't famous (enough?) yet.