• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
NiTUh0M.png

I still can't unsee the goofy face.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's two dumb ones that I bothered to MSpaint

The item "box" in Snowboard Kids had that thing on top
snowboardkids.png

It's supposed to be a mini version of the dog shopkeeper
tumblr-o1716t5-Z281tu022ro1-500.png

Best I could make out was some horrible goblin face. I had no idea what else it could be and I couldn't see it any other way
goblinface.png

Then in Mega Man 5 you have these missle enemies
Mm5missilesprite.png

That's supposed to be a pair of angry eyes in the center there
Mm5-mizzile.png

I never noticed those eyes and thought I was looking at some sort of dopey conehead robot that had amputated arms and detailed chest area for some reason.
rocketface.png

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
That's awesome, and I've heard as much from some others too. It just never clicked with me, unfortunately. The battle system ultimately ended up feeling to me like an unwieldy, unnecessarily overcomplicated, chaotic mess, and the game did absolutely nothing to make me want to learn every last facet of it (let alone some). I'm super glad you and some others clicked with it, but yeah, I didn't like it and still don't. I'm glad thee ended up being options to minimize the difficulty of and time spent in battles, because for me, the less the better in this case. Different strokes!
smw_mario_death.png

This just looked weird, can't remember exactly how I saw it, maybe like he had his mouth wide open and a duck was coming out of it?

Right now it just looks like his face is on fire or maybe his eyes are bleeding

fire.png

Yeah. I have been trying to figure this out since 1994. Are his eyes just bloodshot? When I was a kid I though his mouth was open, like screaming. Very bad sprite readability.

1496513773035.jpg

Grahf from Xenogears.

You know, It took me 10 years to realise what his mask actually looked like. And even then, I sill see the nose on my replays.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
202.png

When I was a kid, I always thought that Wobbuffett was a cool looking Pokemon...until I learned that the tail was the actual Pokemon and the rest of the body was a puppet for the tail to protect itself with. It still looks cool it's just weird seeing an inanimate body flailing around that's being controlled by the tail. I guess this explains why Wobbuffett is a Psychic type.

Holy shit I completely forgot about this

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
smw_mario_death.png

This just looked weird, can't remember exactly how I saw it, maybe like he had his mouth wide open and a duck was coming out of it?

fire.png
Mario is doing a frightened face. His forehead is flushed red and his eyes are the tiny dots just above his nose. Kinda like this but red instead of blue.

HWHDPg6.png

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
Good old thread. Those old sprites are really hard to figure out...

Unless I'm mistaking, this FF character hasn't been posted? It notoriously looks wrong!

latest

No officially she isn't naked under that yellow thing.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Speaking of cocoon Pokémon, I always thought Cascoon and Silcoon had one eye:

They don't:

tumblr_orf2j2bPwq1uh3x51o1_250.gif

But that's not all. Why are there no spikes in the 3D model? Isn't Cascoon and Silcoon spiky to defend themselves? Nope. They were never spikes. In the original art and sprite they are meant to be strands of silk it's using to stick to branches and suspend itself in the air.

cascooncard.jpg

Yeah I didn't know this until I looked it up by curiousity just now. Cocoon Pokémon are confusing.
In Pokemon Go at least the spikes pop out as part of their attack animation.

IrXrfkB.png

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Based on her battle sprite, I could never tell that Rosa's hair in Final Fantasy 4 was supposed to be a ponytail.

iPVBAPm.png

At the same time, I thought she was wearing some sort of large white headgear in her map sprite. That kiss sure didn't look like one either.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
202.png

When I was a kid, I always thought that Wobbuffett was a cool looking Pokemon...until I learned that the tail was the actual Pokemon and the rest of the body was a puppet for the tail to protect itself with. It still looks cool it's just weird seeing an inanimate body flailing around that's being controlled by the tail. I guess this explains why Wobbuffett is a Psychic type.
Mind blown

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
smw_mario_death.png

fire.png
This one is still a mystery to me, where i have no idea what exactly i am looking at.
Yeah. I have been trying to figure this out since 1994. Are his eyes just bloodshot? When I was a kid I though his mouth was open, like screaming. Very bad sprite readability.
Damn, I dunno how you guys can't understand this sprite. I guess the main confusion may come from them still drawing his eyebrows though they are the same color as the bill of his hat.

Anyway, I drew it for you, hope this helps:
3fRcGtD.png

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
How did nobody double check this and say "wait a minute?" Oh my god. My eyeballs are gonna fall out.
Yep. Hard to believe nobody noticed this on the approval process (if there even was one). Even more baffling is how they have still not updated it after people have been posting this around since launch.

Oh well!

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

But I dont see it now :(
Damn, I dunno how you guys can't understand this sprite. I guess the main confusion may come from them still drawing his eyebrows though they are the same color as the bill of his hat.

Anyway, I drew it for you, hope this helps:
3fRcGtD.png

OOOOOOHHHH

Thank you. I needed this back in 1994.

Btw someone on this same thread said that it was the mouth not the eyes. Wonder how he would draw it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
250px-282Gardevoir.png

I used to think Gardevoir was some ugly Picasso looking monstrosity for the longest time until my friend finally told me the right way to look at its face lmao
THIS
This is the real wtf moment, not Metapod, although I have to say I also switched seeing Metapod from angry to sad gradually but without a revelation

I need to know how you were seeing this.

I can't not see the eye/face as it's intended in this and definitely the Ho-Oh example earlier.

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017

I always thought that the top middle bit with the circular section was where the eyes were for years. It was only like two months ago that the little angled slits below that were the eye slots and it was a huge shock because I see this character a lot and I never noticed. It even made way more sense because that circular bit would be where his Garlean third eye is. He just has an enormous horned top to his helmet I guess, truly only a strong bodied Garlean could wear that and not snap his neck from the weight.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
FrTSOCe.png

It always looked like Link's shield was his sword here, and the sword his bare arm.

I can't for the life of me see the "old, bearded man" as the old woman it's apparantely supposed to be.

Jun 7, 2018
alfabetajuega-elden-ring-02-10062019-770x433.jpg

I've seen a lot of people misinterpret this guy from the elden ring trailer for a dwarf/one of those trolls w the long hair

Oh jeez, I haven't seen the trailer so this image was all I had to go on, but I couldn't work out if the grumpy Trump-haired giant walking towards us, hands clasped in front of him, with a hairy version of the other huge sword on his back, was what it's actually meant to be or what people were mis-seeing. Now, from later posts, I realise it's neither and I just have weird eyes or something... xD
IYYTJew_d.jpg

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Oh jeez, I haven't seen the trailer so this image was all I had to go on, but I couldn't work out if the grumpy Trump-haired giant walking towards us, hands clasped in front of him, with a hairy version of the other huge sword on his back, was what it's actually meant to be or what people were mis-seeing. Now, from later posts, I realise it's neither and I just have weird eyes or something... xD
IYYTJew_d.jpg

This is the most confusing thing I've ever seen. What is going on??

It's this, right? 👇

a little late, but for people who had problems with this...

OCHWR4k.png

But earlier someone said this is wrong??

Morrigan help me

Jun 7, 2018
This is the most confusing thing I've ever seen. What is going on??

It's this, right? 👇

But earlier someone said this is wrong??

Morrigan help me

Oh wait, I think I see what it's meant to be now... Like, I was kinda, almost, sorta "half right" but, as others have said but I couldn't see before, he's kneeling?! But that helmet and face thing in the other image you posted, I really can't see, so if it actually is supposed to be that, I'm gonna need to see someone draw over it to unsee Grumpy Trump. Or is that image showing what people think is like, a side on "troll doll"? Aaargh, it's see-able in almost as many ways as Grahf from Xenogears :/

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
smw_mario_death.png

fire.png

Yeah, as a kid this sprite never made sense to me. I would think, "What the hell is wrong with Mario?"

It's just weird.

In FE Three Houses, at the loading screen you see Byleth with an animation where he draws his sword (can't find a gif).

What I see:

giphy.gif

SAME

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these are because on CRT screens the sprites were blurry as shit (not to mention the scanlines). On a modern LCD screen it's obviously going to te different.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
That metapod one always makes me laugh. I saw it that way initially as a kid but after like 10 minutes I realised.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger is the worst for this. The Black Omen is frankly one of the most poorly designed sprites I've ever seen.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
How
I'm trying my best mental gymnastics but i cant see an ear or another eye in there, nor its belly like a smile with three (?) rows of teeth. The goofy dragon face is instantly obvious
The dragon tooth is the other eye, that's barely visible because of the perspective. The bottom lip of the dragon is the top lip of the funny face. The inside of the dragon mouth is a lil black nose.

And I see it slightly differently to the rendition, in that I only see 2 rows of teeth with an underbite with the bottom just being the bottom lip. And they forgot to draw the ear fuzz coming out from beneath its ear.

Also the other statue is just a giant head instead of a whole body like with the Dragon one so it made sense that Dragon one was also just a weird head.

Stone-Statue-LoZ-Sprite.png

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For some strange reason, my brain parses the Metroid 2 Alpha Metroid sprite as a weird flying clown head.

metroid_alpha.gif

The spike that originates from the middle is a nose, the eyes are on either side, and the mouth below.

In a kind of meta example, I just parsed Samus's forearm as a face and the missile launcher opening as a crown. :)