• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
4c54ced0ced5855db08cc3a01ef9d1b65a7e0e4e.jpg
why are their names written in cyrillic

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Why does he want to play that crappy character anyway. Magneto stole his girl, Wolvie kicks his ass all time and he is low tier in Marvel vs Capcom 2.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does he want to play that crappy character anyway. Magneto stole his girl, Wolvie kicks his ass all time and he is low tier in Marvel vs Capcom 2.
Mike Carey tanked what would have been a legendary X-Men run with his emphasis on Rogue fucking a grandpa.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Without even knowing the plot, sounds like we dodged a vanity project bullet.

He probably saw Reynold's success and felt like he should be as synonymous with Gambit and have as much creative control.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
A Gambit/Venom crossover would be an easy billy. I don't know why Tatum is so invested with the character but I can't fault him because there'd be no Deadpool is Reynolds wasn't crazy about that character.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who are farther on either side why do you like/dislike his character?
I like the cool aloof rogueish bad boy characters.
He was one of the first characters that was from my home state that I remember seeing.
Throwing exploding cards was cool the pre-teen me and I still think so.
People that fight with staffs/polearms are cool.
He and Rogue are a cute couple.
He's fun to play as in video games.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Gambit is one of those characters that could be interesting and fun or just a massive joke, depending on the writer. What a massive EKG graph of a character, based solely on how much the writer either loved or hated him. Lobdell did him justice, I dug the Gambit/Rogue married series, but most writers just can't write him at all.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Dude got outshined by age regressed storm in his first appearance and if not for her and Cooper he would have been one of the Shadow Kings hounds. Not cool.

Claremont was still feeling the character back then, dude was still coalescing.

Gambit was the undisputable MVP in X-tinction Agenda just a little afterwards, and the rest is history.

Back in topic, at least Fox didn't get to ruin another X thing. Sucks for Tatum though, he seems really passionate.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I like the cool aloof rogueish bad boy characters.
He was one of the first characters that was from my home state that I remember seeing.
Throwing exploding cards was cool the pre-teen me and I still think so.
People that fight with staffs/polearms are cool.
He and Rogue are a cute couple.
He's fun to play as in video games.

All of this, 100%, but I've said how much of a fan of his I am.

I hope to God we get Rogue, as she's my favorite superhero of all time. And if we get her, I hope we get Gambit.

He would be so easy to make cool again.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Beyond the character design being hella cool, I'll always have a soft spot for a NOLA native superhero. Honestly the only good part about Xmen Origins Wolverine.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
It's completely baffling how this scuzzy French-speaking dangerous thief with a dark past and a heart of gold that plays the ladies' man but fell super hard for the one girl he can't ever touch got popular.

Follow more sensible characters like idfk Aquaman I guess

Just needs to be quoted more.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
For me he was just a "everything edgelords think is cool here in the 90's all thrown into one character". He was pathetic storywise anyways but from a design perspective he is still pretty bad. And I wouldn't even care, like what you want and all but at least recognize it, for Instance anyone that loves remy in a non ironic way has no business shitting on Liefeld's art or concepts like pouchman.

You expect a 7 year old that hasn't encountered Gambit since to know that he has bad design? The vast majority of his fans legitimately thought he was cool back then. They still do because nothing in pop culture has featured him.

I think it's understandable and reasonable. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. It's the exact same reason Venom was popular and his movies are huge. Gambit would be similar.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
90's X-Men cartoon and the vs Capcom series had him flying high in that period. Of course, it's been so long, tons of people don't even know the character.

Would have been amusing to seen this movie at the very least.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You expect a 7 year old that hasn't encountered Gambit since to know that he has bad design? The vast majority of his fans legitimately thought he was cool back then. They still do because nothing in pop culture has featured him.

I think it's understandable and reasonable. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. It's the exact same reason Venom was popular and his movies are huge. Gambit would be similar.
I mean like what you want, I am not asking for people who like Gambit to be persecuted. Just pointing out he is not that cool. People geeking out over properties based on what they see as cool designs is how we get Book of Boba Fett. And Boba was at least a cardboard cutout that you could have made cool they just failed to manage it, but gambit has a solid decades long history and if Marvel were to do the typical amount of faithful adaption that's in most of their works he's not exactly the best character, from either an interesting or moral perspective. Never mind the (thankfully I doubt we see this adapted no matter what happens in the future) horrible "mysterious character with a sordid past" ripped straight from wolverine and dovetailing into crappy twists " who killed the x-men, was it THE WITNESS?".

they could, and I would have no problem if they did, go the other way and adapt him in a "name, powers, and clothes only" sort of way where everything else is original for the MCU, but that actually proves (even more so if Gambit in name only is cool enough to see even me enjoy a character I usually loathe) even more my original point, that Gambit as he actually has been is not actually that good of a character and isn't cool.

Not that any of this matters, they have already won , if they ever make a film staring hI'm, even if it's bad I am enough of a comic nerd they already have my money if and when it happens, and like The New Mutants I will even give it at least two viewing and try to find anything .with enough worth in it to salvage.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Imagine being Garth Ennis and thinking "well this character's stupid who wants to read this" and then tricking the entire comics industry into thinking you're a good writer.
Garth Ennis had one perfect run in him, it came in the form of Hitman. Most other stuff is just trying to be Hitman, but written badly and without the wonderful John McCrea Artwork.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Garth Ennis had one perfect run in him, it came in the form of Hitman. Most other stuff is just trying to be Hitman, but written badly and without the wonderful John McCrea Artwork.
I'll never call Hitman a bad comic, but it's a little too stuck up its own ass about being a story about a good man with a gun in a world of baby playtime superhero adventures.

Like that one Superman issue everyone talks up is just kinda... like it's been yonks since I read Hitman, I'll cape to maybe misremembering things, but dude just tells Superman he's a good immigrant because he didn't bring his old home with him.