• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
So... what is even the point of Twitch prime at this point?
I'd be angrier, but you literally can't subscribe to Twitch Prime anymore without being a Amazon Prime member, so it's not like I'm wasting my money here, but for the most part, it's going to be "hey, once or twice a year I'll get something free in a game I play".

Just the free Prime monthly sub to your favorite streamer.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's just dumb as hell. I mainly watch Twitch on my mobile devices (mostly my tablet) so for convenience I've been using the app. Guess I gotta switch to browser + adblock then. Honestly I'd rather get less games or whatever than having this feature removed. Fuck paying for a subscription when it includes advertisment.

Good luck with that!

Mobile browsing twitch is a woeful experience

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
For desktop viewing I'm good for reasons...

For mobile and console Twitch viewing? I will be spending a lot less time due to ads. I mean, Amazon Prime is $120 a year. Let me choose no ads instead of a surplus of indie games I'm never gonna play. This is getting ridiculous.

Oct 26, 2017
That's awful. I use mobile and on the PS4 a lot so no uBlock Origin in these cases....

I hope people just start thinking of moving to mixer.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Good ole twitch having huge changes without actually telling it's streamers, not to mention a change that is one of the main motivators for getting prime.

I don't use Amazon Prime for anything else, so hey I get some savings I guess.

edit: Fuck, looks like my annual subscription just passed and the bastards don't let you cancel without losing your benefits.

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, back to Twitch5 I guess. And probably lapsing the prime sub when time comes. I'd rather have it be ad free than getting games.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Until I saw it mentioned here I completely forgot about all the free games they offer that I really don't care about.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I already pre-ordered all I wanted for the rest of the year, so I will just use my remaining GCU time for all games next year I guess. But since that will eventually expire...full digital might make more sense at this point with the rewards points that Nintendo/Microsoft give back.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
so as long as your subbed, there will be no ads? is that what I'm reading, too?

No. Only streamers who became partnered before a certain time period (long long ago) can disable ads for their subscribers. Horrible way they have it set up since it makes some streamers second class citizens, and people will naturally not subscribe to streamers who have to show ads.

At least that's how it used to be setup.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch Turbo is $8.99 a month to cease ads on Twitch and get some features I don't care about.

What Twitch Turbo should really have is its own member-only chat in massive-view streams so I don't have to deal with terrible, spammy, racist plebeian Twitch chat (like the Overwatch All Access perk). Even with that, $9/month is asking a lot. That's money that could be spent on Hulu or something else with objectively more streaming value.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Their already record profits weren't high enough, obviously.

Fuck Jeff Bezos.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Twitch Turbo is $8.99 a month to cease ads on Twitch and get some features I don't care about.

What Twitch Turbo should really have is its own member-only chat in massive-view streams so I don't have to deal with terrible, spammy, racist plebeian Twitch chat (like the Overwatch All Access perk). Even with that, $9/month is asking a lot. That's money that could be spent on Hulu or something else with objectively more streaming value.

Those large streams are typically run by companies that don't want subs. Riot, Blizzard, etc. want you to spend money on their games, not buy a subscription to their streams (which they would have to share). Linking chat moderation to subscriptions in the first place was a blatant cash grab that is a large part of why twitch chat is the cesspool it is today.

On topic, people will just go back to ad blocking, and they know it. They are just taking money out of the pocket of the streamers.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd get rid of Prime, but I've not paid for it since switching to a student account, it's never charged me again, I've slipped under the radar I think,

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Those large streams are typically run by companies that don't want subs. Riot, Blizzard, etc. want you to spend money on their games, not buy a subscription to their streams (which they would have to share). Linking chat moderation to subscriptions in the first place was a blatant cash grab that is a large part of why twitch chat is the cesspool it is today.

On topic, people will just go back to ad blocking, and they know it. They are just taking money out of the pocket of the streamers.

I had thought Twitch Turbo were separate from individual channel subs in this case since that service is site-wide.

akajaybay

Nov 2, 2017
You can still get your preorder discount if you order in the next few days.
What's that you want Spider-Man for PS4. Sorry no can do.
Red Dead Redemption 2? Nope, we don't have that either.
Valkyria Chronicles 4...ah ok we'll let you order that one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Yet another service I don't feel bad about dumping. I don't use Twitch nearly often enough to get mad about this, but I'm less likely than ever to bother with using it from here on out. Thanks for saving me the trouble, Twitch.

wojtek

May 30, 2018
Yeah, going to unsubscribe. Loved Amazon Prime but now I'll go interact with people again when I need to get a lightbulb.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
You can still get your preorder discount if you order in the next few days.
What's that you want Spider-Man for PS4. Sorry no can do.
Red Dead Redemption 2? Nope, we don't have that either.
Valkyria Chronicles 4...ah ok we'll let you order that one.

Amusingly, Valkyria doesn't offer a discount on any platform. The discounts in general have been inconsistent over the last few months (MegaMan X Collection never offered a discount for PS4, while it did for Switch and XB), which was probably leading up to this.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So no way to skip those long ads even by paying a premium?

Good god that's horrible.

Guessing advertisers are flocking over to twitch right now, well until the equivalent of a Logan Paul incident happens on twitch

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
just re-upped so I'm good till next year. Then back on ublock they go.

Also: is no one going to call them out on the lie of this being for the streamers? Before they said that even if someone with Prime watches a stream, the streamer still gets credit for the ad that person didn't see. Now they say they have to go to this model because streamers weren't making money. Which is it? Were they lying then or are they lying now?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I'm kinda okay with it... Thought the other day it was weird how my Twitch Prime sub benefits only one streamer, but other people I frequent don't get any benefits from me taking Twitch Prime. I don't watch too many people, and those that I do watch have been extremely reasonable with ads, I'll happily watch them if it directly benefits them. But I hope they got rid of those stupid long ads, some had a duration of up to 30 minutes (though I can skip them, but who benefits that?)

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
So I guess any streamer I follow that runs adds gets unfollowed. Sucks but dems da breaks for working with a shit company.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
This is just dumb. This on top of the 20% discount means I'll be canceling my renewal for next year; I can enjoy the ad-free experience until January 2019 but I will be canceling my renewal for sure. I cannot justify paying $120 for just free 2 day shipping.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I dunno, I'm kinda okay with it... Thought the other day it was weird how my Twitch Prime sub benefits only one streamer, but other people I frequent don't get any benefits from me taking Twitch Prime. I don't watch too many people, and those that I do watch have been extremely reasonable with ads, I'll happily watch them if it directly benefits them. But I hope they got rid of those stupid long ads, some had a duration of up to 30 minutes (though I can skip them, but who benefits that?)

Until now, streamers would get paid for any ads that they rolled with a prime subscriber watching, even though the subscriber wouldn't see it. Now they don't. Amazon has taken away a key benefit of your subscription and given nothing in return. Streamers will make less money, because a significant number of their ads will be blocked, and they no longer have any protection from that.

This is bad for everyone except Amazon, and honestly I think it may end up being a very bad decision on their part as well over the long term.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Until now, streamers would get paid for any ads that they rolled with a prime subscriber watching, even though the subscriber wouldn't see it. Now they don't. Amazon has taken away a key benefit of your subscription and given nothing in return. Streamers will make less money, because a significant number of their ads will be blocked, and they no longer have any protection from that.

This is bad for everyone except Amazon, and honestly I think it may end up being a very bad decision on their part as well over the long term.
Thanks for the explanation... Yeah this seems super shitty.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Also there will be less Prime people overall, and the prime subscriptions were a huge boon to streamers due to the free subscription a month. They're going to get hit hard once people's subscriptions start falling off.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well good thing my Prime renewed last month so I won't get any ads for a year but after that I think I'm done with Prime. I don't use it enough to be worth it anymore, especially when they keep killing features off.

Edit: Yeah I agree I'd rather get no games than no ads, I'm not even using the games they give out anyway.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Terrible move - seems like Prime is getting gradually worse and worse at the moment. Over promising and taking stuff away is never a good business move from a sentiment perspective. The opposite is how it should be.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The title of this thread with news given is confusing me, so I'm just gonna assume it's like:

83DcV8k.png