• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

I was so excited to one day see Cheese Land from Mario Kart Super Circuit remade into a modern track. With it's weird space cheese moon setting there's really no other track like it in the rest of the franchise.

Mario Kart 8 comes along and grants wishes from all angles, including Cheese Land's return in all its beautiful HD glory...

...and like, ok, there's cheese and yeah the visuals are gorgeous but where's the space theme gone? This just looks like a typical desert stage now and even without the planet in the sky just a night sky vista would have done so much to keep the feel of the original track. It's a shame because the changes made to Ribbon Road literally gave it so much identity but I feel they missed the mark with Cheese Land.

What other changes in remakes ruin the feel of the original for you?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The bug in Super Mario Bros 1 on All-Stars where you didn't ricochet off the brick blocks correctly.

Mario smashing bricks with his head is like... the core mechanic of that game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
smb3_w1-5.png

smas-smb3_w1-5.png

Mario Bros 3 All Stars is another one and I need to post this comparison of both game's underground themes in every thread about SMB3 because they did that game's art style so dirty

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
The palette for Mega Man Wly Wars is so drab, the NES Mega Man games don't deserve that.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Something's amiss about Majora's Mask on 3DS. I watched a let's play of the N64 version which made me want to play the game, so I got the remake and somehow it doesn't feel as odd as the N64 version.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I adore the 3DS remake of Majora's Mask and most of the changes, but swimming as a zora feels so wrong.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros. 3 had a peculiar artstyle that made it look like the entire adventure was a stage play with cardboard backgrounds and practical effects. The Super Mario All-Stars remake changes this whole artstyle in favor of making everything look "real".

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee - Making catching Pokémon a hurdle with unresponsive controls for no good reason at all

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Snakes. Introducing MGS2 mechanics broken the level design.

And of course, removing the fantastic original soundtrack was a crime.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Idk I didn't really like the menuing in Oot 3D or MM 3D, kind of ruined the original feel for me

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
There's a great YouTube video on what the remake got wrong, I'll find the link.

Here you go:

Thanks. I'm about 5 minutes into the video and I'm already thinking about selling my copy of Majora's Mask 3D to rather give the game another go on the Wii U. My gripes so far had only been with the changes in aesthetics (color palette, texturing, character models), which actually made me stop playing after about 1 or 2 hours. Now that I know about the gameplay changes, it puts me even more off.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Something's amiss about Majora's Mask on 3DS

the thing with MM on the N64 is that it felt like a silent hill game in the zelda universe, a horrifying nightmare.

The game is creepy as hell by itself but the hideous polygonal models the N64 was capable of rendering helped too.

that feeling and atmosphere is gone in the 3DS remake so they basically ruined it.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Nightmare in Dreamland, the GBA remake of Kirby's Adventure, stuck with gaudy random floor and wall patterns of Super Star and Dream Land 3 and killed the art style of the original, which featured the brilliant use of color to express the stages of transition from morning to night. It played better, but lost a lot of its soul.

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The piano portion of the final scene in Shadow of The Colossus begins right after the clapping of the birds' wings, but in the remake you can still hear that sound while the piano kicks in. I know it is an incredibly small detail, but the scene does not have the same impact in the remake, imho, I loved the transition in the original scene.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I quite dislike how Halo CE Anniversary looks. Extremely saturated with bad shading and with a sharpen filter that adds pixellization and black crush to certain textures.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Kicking the zombies into the water in Dead Island remastered doesn't hurt them anymore. Hated it.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The shakesperian-fication that Square Enix did to Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Yes, the original game had a lot of broken english, but I'd rather they just clean that up instead of make the entire game's script pretentious

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
smb3_w1-5.png

smas-smb3_w1-5.png

Mario Bros 3 All Stars is another one and I need to post this comparison of both game's underground themes in every thread about SMB3 because they did that game's art style so dirty

All-Stars was made by people that had no idea how to handle SMB3's aesthetics.

smb3_mh_fireballs.png
smas-smb3_mh_fireballs.png

smb3_underground-bg.png
smas-smb3_underground-bg.png

Especially in World 8

smb3_w8-1_a.png
smas-smb3_w8-1_a.png

smb3_w8-2.png
smas-smb3_w8-2.png

what the fuck, man.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
To some extent, I feel the remixed stage of hydrocity zone in sonic mania did nothing good for an already excellent stage. Made it extra slow as well. Boss was fun though.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Yakuza Kiwami games are just...off

Kiwami 2 removes an entire area and adds a Majima scenario because...he's popular, I guess?

The Ruby and Sapphire remakes are just...weird. The music is worse and somehow sounds more synthy despite being on more hardware and there is no battle frontier

Shadow of the Colossus remake has fucked up animations