• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no Palpatine is like the one element removed that has a domino effect: no Palpatine means no Rey Palpatine, no sudden star planet destroyer fleet out of nowhere, no stupid sith dagger puzzle.

Or give Rose and Finn characters. They got really fucked.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Fire JJ.

More importantly, recast the role of Leia to execute the original plan of having her be more central in Episode IX.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Rian as writer/director. Though that would've deprived us of Knives Out, and frankly after the way Star Wars fans treated him & the ST cast maybe we got what we deserved. Maybe Star Wars fans deserved a shit movie while Rian moved on to do a fun whodunit.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
For me, simply not making Rey a decendant of Palpatine improves the movie quite a bit.
OP you already got it

My runner up is not to make this movie about chasing after a Sith cultist. First of all, why are there Sith cultists? Second of all, the guy we're chasing after is dead the entire movie and we never meet him. And third of all the number of coincidences involved in fitting that character into the story (who somehow has a constellation of connections to Rey, Luke, and Lando despite being a completely new character who, again, we never meet?).

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Make it Episode 7.

For all the negatives in TROS, the chemistry between Rey, Finn, and Poe was really good and it's a travesty that they aren't together for two fucking movies.

Kill Palpatine clone at the end of 7, then do 2 more movies with Kylo as the villain.

In hindsight, I don't know if I'll even watch The Force Awakens again. What would be the point? Nothing is accomplished there that matters by the time TROS rolls around except Han dying, which takes less than 5 minutes for the scene.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
Agree with everyone saying palpatine. Kylo should have been the big bad, and maybe even survived to become a palpatine like figure in the next saga, minus a first order behind him.

onion

Oct 28, 2017
The Chewie death fake out just seemed ridiculous because it lasted for about 5 mins.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of any new characters would give it some breathing room. But jeez, that's just a start and wouldn't fix the movie at all.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
A director who can put the camera's point of view in discernible places instead of at the base of a ship's guns/turrets or behind somones back in a cockpit.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the Palpatine thing, as much as it is fun to Ian McDiarmid chew the scenery, upon seeing the film it was probably a character better left dead. Or I think it would have been fun it turned out to be some kind of fake Palpatine propped up by Sith cultists.

Kylo Ren while well acted for the most part isn't really believable as a danger to the good guys. In the first film he gets dunked on by Rey, in the second film he's about to get killed by Snoke's guards and has to be bailed out, then he gets clowned hard again at the end of the film by hologram Luke.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The villain is a guy that looks vaguely like Snoke but not really who's not blood related to any of the characters, instead of Palpatine.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Kylo Ren doesn't die / he kills palpatine / Rey is not a palpatine

In order of priority

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You literally can't. The movie has too many problems/is basically an outline for two movies jammed into one, and with no fleshing out of that skeleton. It just fundamentally has too many problems.

I know a lot of people are saying Palpatine, but if he was taken out here, it wouldn't fix the core problems the film has at the structural level. Plus, even that plot element could have worked in a better designed film.

The closest thing I could say to truly answer this question is: make it two movies.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Letting Rey be her own person instead of idiotically ruining her TLJ arc by retconning her as a Palpatine is #1. Jesus Christ, that was so lame.

Removing Palpatine from the film is #2, unless they want to insert a fanservicey flashback or something. Kylo was very effectively set up as RoS's big bad in Ep. 8, but JJ screwed it up.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Either another hour of runtime so it doesnt all feel so rushed or improving the dialogue so it doesn't all feel so lifeless... Like, I genuinely enjoyed the movie, but SOMETHING needed to change in there.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Love the palpatine stuff personally.

The obvious answer is making Finn's story better have him reveal his force abilities to Rey at the start. It loses the love implication, he can be more useful and wont end up screaming Rey the whole time.

Palpatine could've been good but certainly not the way it was pulled off.

The movie just needed to do less. Too long and way too much shit packed in.

I totally agree, It should have been two movies or at least longer.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Luke rises from the grave as a force ghost and kills the big bad and then tells Rey to never go to Tatooine because she doesn't really a relationship with him or his family that goes beyond casual acquaintance at the learning annex.

EloNoolah

Oct 25, 2017
Does keeping Kylo alive but having him pursue redemption through a self-imposed exile count as a single change?

"I've done unforgivable things but I want to work to undo some of the evil I wrought and do some good for the galaxy" just strikes me as a much better way to redeem the character than "Hey I had a vision of my dad and now I'm good and oops now I'm dead!". And it also leaves the door open for future storylines instead of taking perhaps the most compelling character in the entire trilogy completely off the table!

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm probably weird but having watched the entire series from start to finish in a row last week, Rey being a descendant of Palpatine is the one thing that makes sense. There's no other reason safe for being a secret twin of Kylo, that she is that powerful out of the gate. Palpatine himself didn't need to be there, but Rey definitely needed to have some powerful blood. Her being a nobody would be a complete destruction of the PT and OT. Besides:

Luke Skywalker: You went straight to the dark.
Rey: That place was trying to show me something.
Luke Skywalker: It offered something you needed. And you didn't even try to stop yourself.

5dfb245e954bda0f73474963
The one thing I'd change would be the Jedi heal trick where Kylo gives his life force to Rey. Just utterly unnecessary and out-of-character melodrama.
That or running with horses over the star destroyer, utterly naff.

Other minor things that wouldn't change the course of the plot too much: all the petty TLJ retcons. Poe and Finn getting girl love interests instead of ending up together, use a different macguffin than a gazillion planet destroying star destroyers out of nowhere, etc.

Last edited:

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
HANSOLOALLOFIT.GIF

Erase Palpatine and edit out Kylo "redemption"... And also add more memorable locations, I don't think I remember a single iconic place in that film...

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
That knife was pretty cool. For an Indiana Jones movie. Really the first half of TROS is an Indiana Jones plot, it's tonally weird for Star Wars.